The "My Favorite Train Song" Thread

Thought I might just climb on board this thread ... I bring two train songs for the price of one .... bargain !

It's the Blue MUGs - Blue Mountains Ukulele Group - we have our fun in the mountains to the west of Sydney Oz - a nice train ride to get there, or an hour & a half in the car. Always worth the journey for the fun of strumming with kindred spirits on the Planet Earth Express - all aboard :)

What a great idea for a thread, let's hope it stays on track.

Just make sure that anyone who hijacks it gets kicked in the caboose.

Working on mine....

-Kurt​

You just made my day, Dave.... much a$$ just got kicked in that video right there.....

You just made my day, Dave.... much a$$ just got kicked in that video right there.....
Pretty sure mine is on the list there...Glad you liked it mate. Course your shot at one of my favorites from the finest record I have bought in years, well, you killed that one my friend- great stuff:)

Last edited:
I couldn't resist.....

I have been wanting to cover that song for ages! Nice job! (and it's one of MY favorite train songs too!)

I have been wanting to cover that song for ages! Nice job! (and it's one of MY favorite train songs too!)

Mahalo, Pueo! My favorite version is from the Dave Rawlings Machine record that came out a few years ago..... here's a live version they did at a radio station in Seattle....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbYNxuOYzhw It's Dave Rawlings, Gillian Welch, and a couple of the fellas from Old Crow Medicine Show.... good stuff.....

Here's one of my favorite Train Songs

(Now, I have to go and learn to play "You Never Even Call Me By My Name"...)

You can blame Dave (The Cloverdale Kid) for making me think about this song.... I'd like to hear him do a version of it!

-Kurt​

My YouTube Channel is: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/user/euphretes2]http://www.youtube.com/user/euphretes2[/URL]

You killed that one Kurt- well done there mate. I would play it, but my accompanist (my Dad- he plays pedal steel) needs to dust off his rig and polish his tone bar first. Better do a track for him to listen to.
As for the DAC tune- well, that is BEGGING to be covered on the Ukulele innit :)

Nicely done, Kurt, hadn't heard that one in awhile..... that banjo uke sounds great, as well... nice intro and dig the tempo change.....good job on the breaks..... way to keep the thread on schedule.....

Thanks, guys.

Had a couple little errors, but what the heck... One take.

I'd love to do that with three-part harmony, and a few others, but I still haven't figured out hw to multi-track - when I try to record with Audacity, there's a latency between the playback and the record, (about 1/4 second) so I can't listen while I'm recording. And the only video software I have is MS Movie Maker, so no splits, green screen, or picture in picture. Just plain ol' boring one shots.

Now you need to do a NASA song.. "The Space Monkey and the Engineer"....

(g)

-Kurt​

You can skip over my "new uke" blather by going to about 0:40 sec.

Terrific, Doug! The uke has a great sound!

So, if you harvested the wood, how did you get it to proper dryness? Kiln dry? And what strings are you using? That sound is both mellow and bright at the same time, which is a trick - it sounds quite reminiscent of some of the tones Les Paul got through his amplified instruments.

I also found the left shoulder time-keeping pretty mesmerizing at first - didn't realize it until the second time through watching, but you are bopping that left shoulder at the same tempo as the song, and it really works well.

Thanks for the upload.

-Kurt​

Thanks, Kurt. Both the manzanita and the cypress were from trees that had been dead for years (both are quite decay resistant), so they were pretty dry and ready to go. The madrone was from a piece of firewood that I had cut last season, so it was also pretty dry.

The strings are aquilas, and of course, I just got lucky on how the sound turned out. I think the manzanita back is a good sound reflector. That shoulder bopping thing is totally unconscious, but maybe it does help keep time.
Terrific, Doug! The uke has a great sound!

So, if you harvested the wood, how did you get it to proper dryness? Kiln dry? And what strings are you using? That sound is both mellow and bright at the same time, which is a trick - it sounds quite reminiscent of some of the tones Les Paul got through his amplified instruments.

I also found the left shoulder time-keeping pretty mesmerizing at first - didn't realize it until the second time through watching, but you are bopping that left shoulder at the same tempo as the song, and it really works well.

Thanks for the upload.

-Kurt​

Great job all! Love those songs!

How about......
Orange Blossom Special?
How about Chattanooga Choo Choo?
Long Black Train?

Top Bottom