What Uke is this?

chindog

Reaction score
This uke was purchased used in Jakarta, Indonesia in the mid 80's. It was basically in the same condition then as the photos show now. It has no manufacturer markings anywhere. If there was a sticker that would have been visible through the sound hole, it fell off long ago.

This is a concert size uke. The tailpiece is aluminum. The bridge has what appears to be a brass strip in it. It has a green pinstripe around the top, and both upper and lower sides of the back. The back and sides appear to be painted dark brown, with a white undercoat, based on the color that shows through the scratches.

ukulele012.jpg

ukulele013.jpg

ukulele008.jpg

ukulele009.jpg

Any ideas on what this could be?

Check out Uke Yak:

http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/uke-yak/default.asp

Send as many photos & details & Chuck "frets" Fayne will be as close as anyone to helping you identify it. In the meantime, how does it play?

Thanks for the link! I sent several photos and details, so maybe Chuck will recognize something about it. I just got this back from the luthier today, after having it repaired for several maladies. The strings are still stretchy, so it is going out of tune quickly. It feels more like a soprano to me, than a larger scale. It sounds OK though, for an old beater. It's not anywhere near the quality of current day average instruments, though.

Top Bottom