If You Want to Start an Ukulele Club...

What about at a college? The more i express my love for the uke on facebook I have found a lot of peers that love it too! I want to start a club at my college. I'm also going to start a zine about ukuleles and try to get an even bigger knit of people in my area to come together. I'm just not sure if I want it to be limited to just my fellow college goers. I want it to be a community thing as well... Any thoughts?

Thanks, this thread has really motivated me to make it happen!

What about at a college? The more i express my love for the uke on facebook I have found a lot of peers that love it too! I want to start a club at my college. I'm also going to start a zine about ukuleles and try to get an even bigger knit of people in my area to come together. I'm just not sure if I want it to be limited to just my fellow college goers. I want it to be a community thing as well... Any thoughts?

Thanks, this thread has really motivated me to make it happen!

Colleges are cool, too! Just send Ryan an email when it's all organized and he'll send you a goodie bag.

I'd start by naming the club, securing a space to meet, and setting a weekly meetup time.

When that's done, call the school and see if there are free promotional avenues they provide. A blurb in the school paper, an addition to the online calendar of events, etc. I know you don't want to limit it to just your college, but if you can have your club sanctioned by the school somehow, you can use their outreach network. Of course, you should make some flyers and paper the coffeehouses and music/instrument stores around town.

I've started a club - WOSUP!

I should just mail you?

I'm not at college but when I get my own place I'd like to start a ukulele club and hold jam sessions at my house :D
I'm going convert all the guitar nuts at my bfs' university as well- his brothers' already been bitten by the uke bug!

This is so great. I've been wondering how to do it in my school since it's a K-3 school but I think some 1-3rd graders can play an uke. If any of you have done this I would like some pointers on how to audition, what repertoire, what is the best uke for that level (e.g. Mahalo Painted!!) etc.

What great news . . . . we just started a club here in Redding, CA. . . except we're the blue-hair (or no-hair) uke club. There were seven of us at our fist meeting. We don't want no stinkin' by-laws, we don't no want no stinkin' minutes, we don't no stinkin' rules, geezers just wanna have fun. (to paraphrase Ms. Lauper). We had a BLAST!! our first meeting. Since I'm a retired music teacher, they kinda looked to me to put some shape to it, but this isn't a class and we are all sharing, not just me. We pick out four chords that we are going to work on for next time so that we don't need diagrams for those four chords and change quickly. O.k., o.k., I made up the practice sheet . . . . but I'm NOT the teacher. We shared some tunes and played along with a video of Dr. Uke . . . then we ate and gossiped!!! could this get any better??!!??!! Thanks for your encouragement. Where do we sign up for some of those free-bees?

Saw an old post of yours about supporting Uke Clubs, and thought I would see if you were still active with that. I advise a uke club at Cleveland High School in Reseda, CA. We are in our 2nd year, have a decent sized group (10-15 plus a couple of adults who join us), have lots of fun, have performed a couple of times, play the school holiday concert this year and may have met you at the So Cal Uke fest 2010 right after we formed. Have seen a uke culture start to develop over the past couple of years at the school, both inside and outside the club and hope to keep growing it. Would appreciate anything you could send our way.

Thanks for your time, hope to hear from you soon. Here is our facebook page if you want to take a look. Also sent this in an email.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cleveland-High-School-Ukulele-Club/116306858415221

Mike Mitchell
Cleveland High School
8140 Vanalden Avenue
Reseda, CA 91335

I bought a uke 5 years ago and have been teaching myself to play it. I'm amazed you were able to find 7 uke players in Redding, and would definitely be interested in joining your club.
What great news . . . . we just started a club here in Redding, CA. . . except we're the blue-hair (or no-hair) uke club. There were seven of us at our fist meeting. We don't want no stinkin' by-laws, we don't no want no stinkin' minutes, we don't no stinkin' rules, geezers just wanna have fun. (to paraphrase Ms. Lauper). We had a BLAST!! our first meeting. Since I'm a retired music teacher, they kinda looked to me to put some shape to it, but this isn't a class and we are all sharing, not just me. We pick out four chords that we are going to work on for next time so that we don't need diagrams for those four chords and change quickly. O.k., o.k., I made up the practice sheet . . . . but I'm NOT the teacher. We shared some tunes and played along with a video of Dr. Uke . . . then we ate and gossiped!!! could this get any better??!!??!! Thanks for your encouragement. Where do we sign up for some of those free-bees?

How to start a club?

I think it would be awesome to start a club in my area, and I think I would have a good base of people to draw on since I am the orchestra director in our school district.

The problem is that I have just recently gotten serious about ukeing in the last 6 months or so. I'm still learning and trying to get my own stuff together... how could I really start a club. I've had tons of kids at school who have seen me playing in my office after school and I've even had a couple stop by with their own ukes or borrow one of mine so we can play together, but I don't really feel I have the knowledge base to lead a club meeting... like i worry we would end up sitting around and playing C, G, am, F, C for an hour...

Any tips on what would be some good materials to help grow my own knowledge base and make starting a club a little less daunting? Maybe some good easy song books to fall back on or something like that? As I said, there's a lot of interest, just not a lot of skill :p A club would be a great way to tap into the interest and start nurturing and growing the skill... I just don't feel I'm advanced enough to lead that.

Anyone near Beverly Hills, Florida?

I'm in Beverly Hills, Florida and would love to start a club. If there are members in this area, Citrus and surrounding counties, let's do it!

new club

i have started a club in southwest michigan but we are small, only 4. how do i find more potential members? we are in our 60's. i would love to give them a sticker

I realize this thread was resurrected by spam but I know a teacher who may benefit from this offer. I have sent her a screenshot of Rayan’s offer. I am curious if anyone ever took him up?

Top Bottom