Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Customs Tax importing a Uke to the States???

Hippie Dribble Guest

Default Customs Tax importing a Uke to the States???

hi everyone

Here's the story: I've just sold a ukulele to a man in New York valued at $1100. I am in Australia. When I asked him about US customs taxes on imported goods he went into a panic, saying he knew nothing about them. He is now balking at the sale and, I fear, may ask me to refund his money...

So my question is on both our behalves: what , roughly, would he be likely to have to pay on this imported uke valued at $1100.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Yours, concerned
    eugene

Hippie Dribble Guest

I have just spoken with him again and he is contemplating cancelling the transaction if it is likely to be much over $50...

Heeeeeeeeelllllllllppppppppp...AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGH HHHHHH

While not the definitive answer, here's a link from eBay regarding import duties and taxes.

-Kurt

http://reviews.ebay.com/Import-Dutie...00000009911501
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by eugene ukulele View Post
    I have just spoken with him again and he is contemplating cancelling the transaction if it is likely to be much over $50...

Heeeeeeeeelllllllllppppppppp...AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGH HHHHHH
    CRAZY! Gonna for-go a buy of that price because of an extra $50?
    Soprano: Sailor Brand SPC-S, Donaldson Vintage-S, Gstring Longneck, 1920's Martin 0, Makala Dolphin, Mainland Chili!, Roy Smeck. 1920's Kumalae
    Concert: ] Kala "Mighty Uke", Kamoa Grand Concert, Martin 2K
    Pineapple/Other: Mainland red-cedar, Mya-Moe Concert Pineapple (Mango), KoAloha Longneck Pineapple, Vintage Kamaka Pineapple, Kamaka 100th Anniversary Pineapple, KoAloha Concert Pops' Pineapple Sunday

Aloha from Charleston, SC!

Default No Worries Mate!

"Guitars" & the like pay no duty from Australia.

http://www.usitc.gov/publications/do...er/1100c92.pdf
    Dirk Wormhoudt

email: sales@southcoastukes.com

Hippie Dribble Guest

man, this has been a terribly stressful day for what should have been a smooth transaction. Thankyou guys and especially Dirk, cheers for that info. I appreciate all your contributions greatly, and I'm sure the buyer does to, whom I provided a direct link to this thread. Now, after endless to-ing and fro-ing, my blood pressure may start to return to normal! Sheesh...

It all depends of what country it is coming from, I guess. I received a ukulele from Italy and the delivery man required a check for around $27 for a $380 uke. That was a little higher than the estimate I got from the customs office over the phone. It was tricky getting all the info I needed, and at that time the online docs were a bit unclear, without much of a legend for explaining the charts. I think I had to call my local customs office to get more clarification. Make sure you use the proper customs code on the form when you send it, so it doesn't get classified into a different category.
    –Lori

I'm wondering that if the uke originated in the US, whether there would be a customs charge anyway. I have imported instruments from Europe (violin from Britain, Whistle from Netherlands, etc) and the only one I had to pay customs on was the violin. I can't remember how much it was--I just remember that I was disappointed!!!!

Good luck Jon.
    . . . and justice for all.

Can't help, but I do know there is compliance with the CITES/Lacey Act and any imported articles may be held up or even denied because of certain protected woods or other components like ivory or abalone.

Quote Originally Posted by itsme View Post
    Can't help, but I do know there is compliance with the CITES/Lacey Act and any imported articles may be held up or even denied because of certain protected woods or other components like ivory or abalone.
    Don't know what woods or materials are in Eugene's uke, but I can tell you from experience that the chances of that happening for a single item are almost nil. Some fellow in Customs would need to know how to identify wood - the guys who can do it wouldn't be called in for one ukulele.

Do NOT, however, pack in a solid wood box unless it is stamped and certified that it has been treated for insect infestation (plywood is OK). Even on a single ukulele that won't fly (we used to pack in boxes of solid balsa - the restriction then changed from container quantities to single item shipments). Any customs guy can tell the difference between a solid box and plywood.
    Last edited by southcoastukes; 06-20-2011 at 07:02 PM.
    Dirk Wormhoudt

email: sales@southcoastukes.com

Thread Information