Song Help Request Who changed the words in the Disney's Heigh Ho song?

quiltingshirley

Reaction score
I just got Jim B's Disney song book for the uke. I decided that Snow White's Heigh Ho would be something to start with. It's got easy chords and I thought I knew the words. Well, it seems the words I thought were there and I was singing have changed. Who'd have thought? Now I can't seem to get the new words to come out of my mouth without starting the old ones, oh yes, the old words don't fit with the new ones and chords. Help! I was planning to sing it at our Jam tonight. That's not going to happen. So my question is, How do I get that old out and the new in?

Sorry, I know this is no help, but check out Tom Waits' version. I love it. Disney tried to stop him from releasing it. What words are different?

A lot of old movie music has different lyrics in the sheet music than in the movies. It's not just Disney. I have a book of sheet music from "The Wizard of Oz", and songs like "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and "Ding Dong, the Witch Is Dead" have long intros leading into the songs that we know.

You're better off singing the lyrics the way that people know them. People are just going to look at you funny if you start going "Heigh ho, heigh ho, all seven in a row".

Yes, that "all seven in row" is weird sounding, to say nothing of the "when you're feelig low" and no place does it say "it's off to work we go". There's also a "positively..." that throws me every time, yes that is every single time I come to it. I always thought the sheet music would be exactly what they sang in the movie. Thanks for the responses. I thought maybe I heard things differently as a kid.

This something I've wondered about in the past. I don't know if the sheet music was based on preliminary versions of the songs that got sent out to the sheet music publisher early in the process, or if someone thought these changes would help sheet music sales. Or if there's some completely different reason.

Top Bottom