Thread: Private Lessons in Los Angeles/Santa Monica/Venice

Default Private Lessons in Los Angeles/Santa Monica/Venice?

I'm moving to Venice, CA, soon, and I'm eager to find a great teacher in the area. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. (I'm an intermediate player.) Thanks!
    Last edited by magich; 06-22-2011 at 03:29 PM.

Don't know about private lessons, but McCabe's in Santa Monica offers classes at various levels.

Thanks. I would love to hear about anybody's experiences with teachers there or elsewhere.

A couple of us at UU have been taking group classes from McCabe's for a couple of years now -- the teacher that does the intermediate classes, Steve Rose, is a great guy and teaches a wide variety of music (we have done everything from Ella Fitzgerald to David Bowie). Unfortunately, your timing isn't great, as we just started an eight week session -- we are already two classes in. We are taking a two week break though before doing the next six sessions after the July 4th holiday. I'm not sure if you can still enroll or not, but here is a link just in case. It is the continuing uke class. I'm not sure when his next intermediate or continuing session will be but he usually does three or four segments a year - six to eight weeks in length.

http://www.mccabes.com/classuke.html

I'm not sure if he does private lessons or not. Good luck to you.
    Moore Bettah Kauai Dreams undersea inlay tenor "Hui Nani"
    Moore Bettah slothead offset soundhole tenor "Kula Leo"
    KoAloha KTMS-00 "Lokomaika'i"

Building and Owning a Bettah Ukulele: The story of Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story e-book edition

Besides the classes that WickedWahine11 mentioned, I also take private lessons at McCabe's. Both Steve Rose and Fred Sokolow teach ukulele, you can find contact info here. There's also been an ongoing class by Fred Sokolow based on his Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps book. PM me if that one interests you, or if you have any questions about uke things at McCabe's in general. Although I can tell you now that I will have nothing but good to say

Sounds like McCabe's is the place to be. Thanks for the info!

While the Canogahana Players are [not] a true lesson group, we are a beginner/intermediate group that gathers twice a month in Canoga Park. Group playing makes a great addition to your private lessons. And you're in luck! This Sunday is our next gathering. Noon to two at Guitar Merchant, 7503 Topanga Canyon Boulevard. Just bring your uke and you're in!
    Last edited by Harold O.; 06-24-2011 at 04:58 AM. Reason: we are not a lesson group
    Harold O.

www.HOPublishing.com
    www.WestHillsWood.com
    Just because shooting fish in a barrel is easy doesn't mean there are some fish that should remain unshot.

Thanks, Harold! Haven't moved just yet, but I'll keep you guys in mind for when I do.

Thread Information