Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arranging music for the Uke - quality fingerstyle/campanella

Quote Originally Posted by cheekmeat View Post
    6. Record it or write it down. I usually record it so I'll remember. If I write it down I usually do tabs or scores with pen and paper, so perhaps someone else could help you with the software for this.
    Pen and paper! that's a bit revolutionary, and a damn good idea.
    I can concentrate on the writing instead of learning new software (as a start).

Here's a start: http://ukulelehunt.com/wp-content/up...3/blanktab.pdf

Thanks for all the great advice everyone, I'm on it today.
    Last edited by gritstone; 06-23-2011 at 11:25 PM.
    David,
    Macclesfield, UK.

Ummm, it took about an hour to jot down the basic tune and arrangement on paper (thanks UkeHunt for blank tab pages).
    Then about 4 hours to work out how to use the Powertab software!

Anyway, it's almost complete - I'll post it in the 'Tabs and Chords' section - for critical review.
    David,
    Macclesfield, UK.

Ok - it's finished.
    Is anyone brave enough to test drive my effort, and give me some critical feedback?
    PM me with your email address and I'll send the pdf to you...

I think it's about grade 4 (fairly hard).
    David,
    Macclesfield, UK.

I'll give it a look.

Was going to say I didn't know that song, but just youtube'd it and see it's the same as the old Nancy Sinatra/Lee Hazelwood song. My age is showing.

I'd give it a whirl.

Default help

Quote Originally Posted by gritstone View Post
    I'd like to try arranging some music for my uke. There's a lot of music about I'd like to play that I can't find decent uke arrangements for (tab or score). I'm not interested in chords/lyrics. Quality fingerstyle tab/score for the uke is limited; at least as far as I can see (with some notable exceptions of course).

So, my question is - how should I arrange music? Which software app is best, do I lay down the melody first then add an accompaniment. Where are the guidelines for this?

I've been thinking of arranging 'Summer Wine' (Corrs/Bono version), I can find the words/chords on-line, but can't find the melody... I guess I'll have to start from scratch.

if I do make my own arrangements I'll publish them here, if you like.

Maby this site will help you www.arrangemymelody.com Good luck

I've been doing a ton of arranging this year for both solo and large ukulele ensemble and my go-to software is definitely Sibelius 7. It's spendy and the news is that they've stopped developing it, but it's still more user friendly than the other big name, Finale. Doing a few songs by hand ain't so bad, but software can seriously speed up the process.

I usually start arranging by doing a web search for a midi file to import into Sibelius. These are prone to mistakes but it's a good place to start. Of course, having a hard copy of the original score is also really useful so you can use their formatting for repeats and codas. Once I have the midi imported and formatted I try to pick out the melody track and copy it into uke treble staff. This allows me to fix any problems with pitch or rhythm. If reading music is a struggle for you, that part is going to take some time. Next, I copy it into a tab staff. The program will take a guess on how you want to play it, but there's still a lot of dragging the notes to different strings and transposing passages that go out of range in order to make it playable.

Of course, adding that accompaniment in a different voice depends on the style of music you're playing. If you're doing a fingerstyle arrangement, you might start by adding some voicing of the chords on the strong beats that work with where you need to play the melodic note. If you just want to strum and pick out the melody at the same time you could get aways with just adding some chord grids above the melody.

Your post just inspired me to upload some of the Christmas songs I arranged this year. They're pretty simple, but because they have both melody and chords a player can choose to play either one or try to combine them to get a fingerstyle sound. Check them out in this thread:
    http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...erry-Christmas

Or here's the direct link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wc9h7jmp2i...20Melodies.pdf

-Kiel
    (0 )==::
    Last edited by kiel9; 12-25-2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: added links

Thread Information