Where have all the ukuleles gone . . .

PJT

Reaction score
Hello! First time, long time, yada yada . . . ;-) I have been lurking here, reading all the fantastic information/ reviews found at the UU for quite some time, awesome site. I am gathering research for the purchase of a better ukulele. My Lanakai LU21 has served its purpose valiantly, but I am looking to move on to greener pastures.

After literally a MONTH of research, I have decided that the ‘perfect’ ukulele for me is a tenor, solid wood, gloss, with cutaway. Electronics would be nice but not required. Price range of around $500. No real preference of type of wood as long as it sounds and looks nice.

Here is my dilemma- I have only been able to find 3 models that even match my specs to begin with, and I don’t think such a uke with those specs exists IN STOCK to purchase! Is it just me, or is every store sold out/ out of stock of such ukes, and many other uke's in general? Seems like everywhere I look, dealers are expecting stock “sometime in July” . . .

Oh, and let me get this out of the way, since I am betting, judging from other recommendations seen on this site, that the first mention will go to Mainland ;-)- I apologize but I just cant get past the rope binding. I emailed Mike at Mainland, and they are out of stock on the “simply beautiful” version without the rope . . .and guess when they are expecting new stock? You guessed it, sometime in July . . . and not the cutaway version.

The only other models that exactly meet my specs and $ that I can find are:
Kala KA-MTE-C= Out of stock everywhere(limited edition)
Honu/ Big Island KTE-TRC= Out of stock that I could find. Missed the one that MIM’s had in stock by ONE day . . .

Others I have located that are close, but missing one or more preferred specs:
Lanikai Solid Monkeypod /w pickups= no gloss
Lanikai solid mangowood SM-T= no cutaway
OHANA TK-35CE= no gloss
Mele Koa Top Tenor= no cutaway
Cordoba 25TK-CE= no gloss

HELP!!! Anyone have any other suggestions, or know of stock that I have missed, or am I destined either compromise and not get exactly what I am looking for spec wise, or wait until the apparently magical ukulele month they call “mid July” . . . ;-)

I would wait for the one I want. I know it's difficult, but July is nearly here. You could always check directly with Kala or Big Island, and see if they might direct you to the right distributor. There might be a brick and mortar store somewhere with inventory, but it seems like everyone sold out before Christmas, and it is taking this long for the factories to catch up to demand. Keep an eye on the UU marketplace and on FleaMarket Music for used ukes http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/marketplace/default.asp
Ohanas are similar in sound and quality to Mainland, so check them out as well. They have cut-away/gloss styles.
–Lori

I believe all uke suppliers have a lot more demand than they can handle. You may find what you want sooner on the used market.

I'm still not a fan of the rope binding on the Mainlands - but I'm glad I didn't let that stop me from buying any of the three I own... :)

IMO Mainland is worth the wait. Didn't like the rope binding at first either. It looks better in person than in the pictures.
I bought one and love it. Wouldn't change a thing.

Hang in there PJT. In that range you'll be able to find a nice tenor either on the UU marketplace here or on the fleamarketmusic one, as Lori said. Plenty coming up all the time. There was a lovely Pono tenor on the UU here that was only sold a few days ago. And while you wait for a nice one, you could save a little more money perhaps, to give you a few more options. Happy shopping!

One tip for finding an 'out-of-stock' uke: They're only out-of-stock with online vendors. I just nabbed a SK-38 that was out-of-stock everywhere by going to Ohana's dealer page, and making inquisitions with each listed dealer individually if they didn't have their stock online.

As a Mainland Mahogany owner, I'm also not a fan of the rope binding. It makes it look a little toyish, but I can't argue about the tone.

Also, like nongdam was kind of saying, $500 is getting pretty close to a full koa k-brand, especially if you are able to land a factory second.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the responses! I should have mentioned I have also been watching the UU marketplace and Flea market website for the past two weeks or so. Also have been keeping an eye locally on Craigslist, and that almost got me in trouble with UAS, by going completely away from what I am looking for, I almost went for a vintage 1962 Martin, style 0 I believe. Love the vintage instruments too, and the fact that it is local, and the resale value will not drop, but also didn’t have ANY of the specs I was looking for except for being solid wood, so I am resisting. Or should I? Here is that listing: http://portland.craigslist.org/yam/msg/2458274820.html.

I also have been trying to decide if I should just hold out, save up, and go for a K brand uke. I contacted Koaloha, and Brian there said that they do sell factory seconds that they will ship, and soon will have a website set up showing that stock. He said a factory second tenor would run $775. I also contacted Music Guy Mic (yes he is selling ukes!) and a new one would run a little over $900. Awesome uke, but quite a bit more money than something like a mainland mahogany, once they get in the non rope version. I assume a used Koaloha would run in the $700 range . . .

Too bad I am entering the hunt too late for the Pono PKC-2 koa you were selling Eugene Ukulele, that sounded awesome, and I loved your rendition of Lemonheads “Being Around”. If you guys haven’t watched that on youtube you should check it out, awesome song perfect for the uke! But I guess that was a concert size.

I would say top priority of wants in order would be solid wood tenor, next preference would be gloss, and if I had to compromise-would like to have the cutaway but could live without it (like for a K brand).
Am going uke shopping tomorrow, couple of local stores here in Portland, Artichoke and Pioneer, so we will see what that brings!

Last edited:
I would say keep saving and wait for the right one to pop up. So far, everytime I buy a ukulele, 3 more pop up that I would love to own. I believe rushing to get one now may cause you to settle on an instrument, definitely not the way to go. If you have the cash and a little patience, you can always find a great deal on an amazing ukulele.

"Where have all the ukuleles gone..."

Addicts picked them, every one,
long time passing.

Also, anyone know about this seller and the MGM connection they are advertizing? Real deal?

Whoah where did that come from? Question, may have just realized that this
Model may be laminate, does any one know for sure if solid or not? I am learning now that if it doesn't say solid, it most likely isn't . . .

I believe the Kala Mango is still a laminate. I have a Kala Mango Tenor (2 years old, not electrified or cut out) and is is a laminate. It wasn't marked clearly, and even the store owner wasn't sure. The curly mango woodgrain is probably too weak to be solid. I love the sound of mine though. It is different from the other ukuleles... kind of mellow, rich, watery. Not as bright on the high end as some ukes, and it sounds really nice in low G (not all ukes do) so that is a nice option. Plugged in, and the laminate vs. solid issue is not really relevant.
–Lori

Top Bottom