Song Help Request Roll Along Prairie Moon

Hey Ian, I don't have it written up, but here is a video that could help. The banjo uke is in D. They are playing in A.
Here's what I have so far.

A/A7/D/F#dim/E7/A/E7 Repeat
A/D/F#dim/A/F#/B7/E7

Thanks. I saw that.
I have a version chorded for guitar in an old CW songbook, but it's pretty plain. I think the song has better potential for the uke, and had hoped someone here had worked it out. Seems not, so I'll have to work on it myself and see what I can develop.

Ian,
I would be interested in what you come up with.
Really we need that great sheet music salesman, Arthur Parker, but I believe he had a little trouble with the law.
Cheers
John

Here are the chords according to a song book I have (not the original song sheet):

[C] Roll along Prairie Moon,
Roll a- [Dm] long while I croon
[Dm7] Shine a-[G7] bove
[Dm7] Lamp of [G7] love
[Dm7] Prairie [C] Moon

Way up [C] there in the blue
Maybe [Dm] you're lonely too
[Dm7] Swinging [G7] by
[Dm7] In the [G7] sky
Prairie [C] Moon

I [G7] need [C7] your [F] tender [Fm] light
To [C] make things [A7] right
You [D7] know I'm so alone to- [G7] night

Far a- [C] way shed your beams
On the [Dm] girl of my dreams
Tell her too [Dm7] I've been [G7] true
Prairie [C] Moon [Cdim] [G7]

I'd play it in F, though, on a tenor:
F - Gm
Gm7 - C7
Gm7 - C7
Gm7 - F

With the chorus:
C7-F7-Bb-Bbmin
F-D7-G7-C7
etc.

Thanks. I look forward to getting them!

I found a copy in my collection of non-uke songsheets, and I scanned it this morning. I'll post a link to the song sheet in the next day or so.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the sheet music Ian...I was unaware there is an introduction for this song, I have numerous versions on CD, but have never heard the intro....Hope you don't mind if I steal this one for my humble repiltoire :)

Lots of songs in that era had intros. We seldom hear them in modern editions. Always found them interesting because they're often in a different key or rhythm.

Got another version of the sheet music from eBay this week. Chords are identical. Just FYI. No uke version from that era, it seems. But by the mid-30s, guitar chord diagrams were replacing uke diagrams in most sheet music.

Top Bottom