How can I pick a ukulele?

Aw ^_^ But wouldn't the maker have done that before it got to Amazon anyway?

By set up.. .you meannn?

Many [especially cheaper] ukes come with the action pretty high. this makes playing higher up the neck difficult . when too high at the nut, it makes the fretted notes go sharp, especially at the first few frets, and generally makes the uke sound bad, sometimes a uke will be fine straight from the factory, but being a beginner you will be better off buying from a dealer who will check the uke out.

Aloha Lanybug76,
Mostly all ukes from the factory don't get a final set up...well mostly, some higher end ones would be good or come close.. and with big retailers you take an even bigger risk..a hit or miss senerio.
Smaller and reputable dealers offer a set up( Like fine tuning to sound and play their best) before they go out...big guys don't have the time to do that..they sell by quanity and not quality..Getting a
set up can mean a uke sounding good and give you motivation to play, rather than one that sounds bad and you put it on the side and don't play.. pay the extra and buy from a reputable dealer who will do it for you....ask on the phone when purchasing..do you do free setups..we have a few member/dealers that are very reputable....if you consider that way, just ask us here for some names..
Good Luck and Happy Strummings.. Kanaka916 offered you some good advice...the Oscar Schmidt OU2 Mahogany Laminate concert it great...Had it for over 3 years and it is a daily player for me..for $59.00 it's a deal!

Last edited:
I'm for sure getting the Lanikai. Thanks for all the help guys^_^

nope. It is all about money. They get those buggars and just throw them together in China and half are unplayable (exxageration I know). Good thing others explained it b/c I don't know all the details. I just know I will never buy from a nondealer again unless it is a player selling used.

get the ukedelic if its a Kala because ... well I love Kalas and it looks wicked cool too. I would definitely get that psychedelic if its a Kala

For what it's worth I just picked up a Makala tenor starter kit with bag and tuner for under $100. I think for just the ukes you can pick one up for around $60 or less. The sopranos are cheaper than the tenors.

Makala is made by Kala and are their "budget ukes". The way I figure it I can learn to play on this one for a few months and if I don't stick with it I'm not out too much money. If I do stick with it I can slap some better strings on it and make it my "travel uke" and purchase a better one. From what I've read in the price range Makala's are hard to beat.

Last edited:
I'm a beginner to uke, but I'm a trumpet player. You are smart to get one from a store if you don't know anything about the instrument. Maybe you can try a few and see which you like the best. Asking questions on a forum is good as well as reading customer reviews. I bought a tenor spruce top Lanikai from Amazon, but I realize that I was taking a chance. I did get it tuned up at a local shop. Even though I've bought instruments on line, I won't buy any unless there's a return policy, period. You've now heard many opinions about which preferences folks have. In the end you have to be satisfied. Regardless of the type of instrument, if you try for the cheapest, it won't play well unless you happen to luck out with a good quality used one. Just my 4 cents worth....

also get a digital clip on chromatic tuner..it will be the best investment you make

Get a Snark. Blue or red - doesn't matter which, but they're only $12-14 and work 1000 times better than the cheap Kala tuners.

Get a Snark. Blue or red - doesn't matter which, but they're only $12-14 and work 1000 times better than the cheap Kala tuners.

i didn't think so. My snark stopped workingafter a month. batteries were still good too. Of course i also owned a kala(older one) that stopped working as well.

i didn't think so. My snark stopped workingafter a month. batteries were still good too. Of course i also owned a kala(older one) that stopped working as well.

Even a snark can go bad, I guess. But they pick up the note super quickly so it makes tuning a breeze.

Even a snark can go bad, I guess. But they pick up the note super quickly so it makes tuning a breeze.

heard nothing but good about them, but my one experience was bad. I'll get some more once school starts back b/c they are cheaper than the kala ones but I have had nothing but good experiences with the Kala ones in my 3 years of using them.

Top Bottom