Cerritos Ukulele Festival 2011?

salukulady

Reaction score
Has anyone even heard if this is happening this year? I can't find any info on it. I know last year they didn't even announce the dates until August.

Aldrine said it wasn't happening. They went bankrupt last year.

I have heard it will happen, but maybe a different location. Because of the location change (due to high costs at the old venue) there is a lot to organize and plan. Don't count it out yet. It might also be held in late September instead of early October, and it will be scaled down to bring down costs. Probably no concert, just local players and uke groups. I am sure it will be like last year, in that the website info will be posted close to the event.

–Lori

Aldrine said it wasn't happening. They went bankrupt last year.

I have attended many ukulele festivals and have made the following observation. There is and always will be a Hawaiian influence in ukulele.
Since the instrument is a big part of Hawaiian music this is understandable. The ukulele as branched into so many other genres of music that to have a festival with such a heavy Hawaiian influence seems to me to be limiting the draw.
The Cerritos festival appeared to me last year to have done that.

I love ukulele music period !! To limit myself to only one genre would take much of the joy I get from playing such a wonderful instrument.
So, in my humble opinion a ukulele festival to feature all ukulele music and welcome all players no matter what their playing level and genre is.

I have heard it will happen, but maybe a different location. Because of the location change (due to high costs at the old venue) there is a lot to organize and plan. Don't count it out yet. It might also be held in late September instead of early October, and it will be scaled down to bring down costs. Probably no concert, just local players and uke groups. I am sure it will be like last year, in that the website info will be posted close to the event.

–Lori

That is great to know, Lori.

I just got confirmation from Stephane that the Southern California Ukulele Festival will be held on September 24, 2011 in Anaheim California. Details will be posted on their website soon.

–Lori

I just got confirmation from Stephane that the Southern California Ukulele Festival will be held on September 24, 2011 in Anaheim California. Details will be posted on their website soon.

–Lori
Hooray !

–Lori

Awww, I'm out of town then. :( I'll have to catch them next year.

Same weekend for Burning Uke in Big Sur, another year I won't go South.
Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz, does too good a job on Burning Uke.

Same weekend for Burning Uke in Big Sur, another year I won't go South.
Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz, does too good a job on Burning Uke.
That's a shame. While it's not like they're in each other's back yards, I imagine a lot of people (like vendors and performers) routinely travel to festivals and will have to pick one over the other, and since the Santa Cruz festival is bigger and was announced sooner, probably more have already committed to it.

–Lori
Thank you Lori. If you hear more before the website is updated, let us know, please.

I just got the vendor application, so here is some more info:

September 24, 2011 at The Muzeo Plaza - 241 S. Anaheim Blvd - Anaheim, CA. 92805. The operation hours for the event are 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.

I spoke to Uncle Charlie last May, he said the vendor areas and stages will be free to the public, and there would be fees for workshops. His plan at that time was to have a tree lined street (you can see it in google maps) with a stage at each end. One stage for uke club performances, and the other for jamming.

As far as I know this is the only uke fest that is close enough to Los Angeles to make it an easy day trip. So for those who live in the area, you don't have to get a hotel to attend this one.

–Lori

I just got the vendor application, so here is some more info:

September 24, 2011 at The Muzeo Plaza - 241 S. Anaheim Blvd - Anaheim, CA. 92805. The operation hours for the event are 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.

I spoke to Uncle Charlie last May, he said the vendor areas and stages will be free to the public, and there would be fees for workshops. His plan at that time was to have a tree lined street (you can see it in google maps) with a stage at each end. One stage for uke club performances, and the other for jamming.

As far as I know this is the only uke fest that is close enough to Los Angeles to make it an easy day trip. So for those who live in the area, you don't have to get a hotel to attend this one.

–Lori

I guess it won't be called the Cerritos Uke Fest anymore!! I'll mark the date!!

Top Bottom