Cerritos Ukulele Festival 2011?

I had a great time last year and am looking forward to this years festival. I'm glad you did some detective work to find out if it was happening. Thanks Lori

Ugh...

I don't know what this will do to attendance, but it seems that the festival has been moved to the following week... I think that's Saturday, October 1.

It's really late in the game, but a little bird tells me that a bunch of the workshop instructors couldn't commit to the original date... I'm guessing because of conflicting commitments with another uke fest north of here. Regardless, its moved, and the instructors can make that next week.

Added bonus, a bunch of vendors that are set to do the Pacific Islanders Fest in SD can now do the new date for the SoCal Uke fest.

I can't tell if this is good or bad...

I think it's good... although its probably a bit of a ding on the organizer's credibility to organize. But I say we cut them some slack, they are still learning the ropes, having only recently taken the reigns. I'm just glad the events haven't completely disappeared.

Ugh...

I don't know what this will do to attendance, but it seems that the festival has been moved to the following week... I think that's Saturday, October 1.

It's really late in the game, but a little bird tells me that a bunch of the workshop instructors couldn't commit to the original date... I'm guessing because of conflicting commitments with another uke fest north of here. Regardless, its moved, and the instructors can make that next week.

Added bonus, a bunch of vendors that are set to do the Pacific Islanders Fest in SD can now do the new date for the SoCal Uke fest.

I can't tell if this is good or bad...

I think it's good... although its probably a bit of a ding on the organizer's credibility to organize. But I say we cut them some slack, they are still learning the ropes, having only recently taken the reigns. I'm just glad the events haven't completely disappeared.
Maybe they should update their website.....where did you hear this?

Website for the festival hasn't been updated yet. I hope my info is correct.
Maybe its just an elaborate trick to keep me from celebrating all that is uke.

I haven't heard anything about a date change yet, and I know at least one Uke Group that is performing and they still are listing the 24th. As a vendor, I would hope they would contact me soon if this is true.

–Lori

I think these festival folks like to play it close to the vest, like the San Diego group.

A friend is with one of the groups that was scheduled to perform on the 24th. She told me the group leader got a call this morning from the festival organizer saying that the date has changed to 10/1.

Sadly, notification of this change may be painfully slow because the normal contact, Stephanie, is unexpectedly out of town (in Europe) until next week. So notification of this very last minute change is being left to Uncle Charley; who may not be as deft at communications as we would like. Vendors, especially, may get short shrift since Uncle Charley is probably more used to dealing mainly with the entertainment portions of the festivals they organize.

By the way, I only found this stuff out because i am planning to be a food vendor at the event and I didn't want to drive down to Anaheim from the north San Fernando valley (an hour away without traffic) without double checking all the into so we were pressing them for some items like whether they were providing sinks, power, water, etc. So luckily we got the info today, just before we headed down to get our licenses and submit for health permits... So according to our paperwork I'm ready to vend spam musubis and 100% kona coffee on the 1st of October.

Assuming that everything is a go and I get my stand up and running, if any of you UUers stop by my stand ( it's called "Moo-Soo-Bee") and can work up the nerve to play a tune on my electric Sponge Bob pineapple uke, I'll give you the Kama'aina special (half off order)... If you let me record your performance for posting on the internets, I'll give you a musubi free! (I would ask for the Bambucha musubi... its Bambucha!!).

Last edited:
100% kona coffee

Oh thank goodness! Last year at Cerritos there was NO COFFEE anywhere!

I know that transition is hard, but I think the way the festival has been handled this year has been rather unfortunate. I've been debating if I'll even attend or not since there has been no announcement of who is performing or giving workshops.

I felt that last years festival seemed somewhat loosely planned, but was surprised at the number of sales I got for one day. Not sure how it will work out this year, but at least it is local, and the last one I plan to attend as a vendor this year. If it has moved to Oct 1, I will still be able to be there.

–Lori

Assuming that everything is a go and I get my stand up and running, if any of you UUers stop by my stand ( it's called "Moo-Soo-Bee") and can work up the nerve to play a tune on my electric Sponge Bob pineapple uke, I'll give you the Kama'aina special (half off order)... If you let me record your performance for posting on the internets, I'll give you a musubi free! (I would ask for the Bambucha musubi... its Bambucha!!).
Oh I am *SO* doing this!

I know that transition is hard, but I think the way the festival has been handled this year has been rather unfortunate. I've been debating if I'll even attend or not since there has been no announcement of who is performing or giving workshops.
I think "unfortunate" is a bit of an understatement. They announce it barely a month in advance (when the NorCal festival for April 2012 has already been announced) and then ten days away they change the date, don't update their site and don't even inform their vendors?

Lori may have some flexibility being local, but what about other vendors and performers flying in for the fest? I saw MGM in Cerritos last year (I know his health prevents him from attending this time around) and he had a crew and gazillions of ukes with him. Logistically, that's not the type of thing you can just change at the drop of a hat at the last minute.

Oh thank goodness! Last year at Cerritos there was NO COFFEE anywhere!

In terms of concessions, there wasn't much of anything last year... There was the luau and concerts at the end of the event which was okay, but general attendees got a mediocre offering... I remember standing in line for nachos.

That's sorta why I agreed to do this event. As a one day affair, it's tough to justify all the work that goes into setting up my stand, but I thought musubis would be well received. The kona coffee is just because I love coffee. I can't say that kona is high on my personal list of great coffees, but it seems more appropriate for these Hawaiian-y festivals. It's still pretty good. It's roasted from green beans just before the event. There's been a drought in kona for a while (past couple harvests) so it's tough to get green kona beans out... the recent crops are expensive and still not as good as Kona can be... Still pretty good tho. I don't use it as an excuse to mark it up like crazy, so if you get coffee from my stand, at minimum, you are getting a relative bargain. Ooo too much talk about coffee. I forget sometimes. Did I mention that I love coffee?

Top Bottom