Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lite Hard Case?

Default Lite Hard Case?

Anyone have any experience with the foam hard cases? I'm wondering if they're durable enough for shipping a product internationally. They seem to be a good compromise between durability and convenience. Are they waterproof like standard hard cases? Should I just go with a wooden hard case instead? I would like it to be well protected during shipping. Should I risk having something shipped internationally with just a gig-bag? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!
    "The ukulele is a noble little instrument... anyone serious about music will eventually come to play one.

Bob Brozman

It really depends what additional shipping materials are used. I've had ukes shipped without a case but wrapped in bubble wrap in a cardboard box lined with Styrofoam and so far, I've not had a problem.
    My News is Blues!
    www.dtfbmusic.com
    www.youtube.com/DTFBMusic
    http://musicandjewelry.com

Kala KA-JTE/2TS Jazz archtop electric tenor
    Kala KA-PSS pineapple soprano
    Several custom made tenors and a baritone

I get my large circumference from too much pi.

Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but WickedWahine did a review here of some light hard cases!

If I'm not right, sorry!
    Astrid/Unknown Brand || Lilo/Ohana SK10S || Rhea/Luna Tattoo Pineapple || Hoa/Koa Pili Koko || Hope/Tanglewood TU1 CE || Kupuna/Eleuke Rosewood 100 Series || Joy/Poiple Flea || Cora/Clearwater Vita

Joey @ 4 Ukulele - My Ukulele Journey Blog || The Rocking Dodars || Bug Books: Joey Paul Online || "Like" me on FaceBook

No worries, actually I mean the polyfoam cases like Kala makes. I believe the cases that he reviewed had a fiberglass body and are definitely water-resistant. Those cases look great though!
    "The ukulele is a noble little instrument... anyone serious about music will eventually come to play one.

Bob Brozman

I had a polyfoam case for one of my ukes. I'd say it is much better protection than a gig bag but nowhere near on a par with a real hard case. I wouldn't trust a polyfoam case in checked luggage and for shipping I'd still double-box the item with good insulation between boxes. The cases are pretty good, but will crush or crack if some idiot stacks a heavy enough item on it.

As far water-proof - even most hard cases aren't water proof. If you want to protect the item from dehydration or excess humidity wrap it (outside the case) in a plastic bag sealed tightly. Avoid wrapping plastic directly against an instrument, though.

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

Quote Originally Posted by OldePhart View Post
    I had a polyfoam case for one of my ukes. I'd say it is much better protection than a gig bag but nowhere near on a par with a real hard case. I wouldn't trust a polyfoam case in checked luggage and for shipping I'd still double-box the item with good insulation between boxes. The cases are pretty good, but will crush or crack if some idiot stacks a heavy enough item on it.

As far water-proof - even most hard cases aren't water proof. If you want to protect the item from dehydration or excess humidity wrap it (outside the case) in a plastic bag sealed tightly. Avoid wrapping plastic directly against an instrument, though.

John
    Excellent info! Thanks! Yeah, I agree. I should have have said "water-resistant". I wouldn't plan on walking in the rain with it, but if you get trapped in a brief shower with a hard-case, you have a good chance of coming out of it okay. Cloth bags collect moisture and do a poor job of protecting the instrument. I'm just not sure whether I should order the ukulele with a hard case or since it comes with a gig-bag, assume that it will make it here okay. I guess it's always better to be safe than sorry though!

Bob Brozman

Yes for shipping they are adequete...but still I would worry...you know how it is... ha ha they are light and yet bulky to carry...I like hard vinyl cases but they are quite heavy..but easy to clean.
    It is nice when playing to use it as a foot prop..ha ha... there are good and bad points with all cases...as there is no perfect case yet..ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Ataraxia View Post
    Excellent info! Thanks! Yeah, I agree. I should have have said "water-resistant". I wouldn't plan on walking in the rain with it, but if you get trapped in a brief shower with a hard-case, you have a good chance of coming out of it okay. Cloth bags collect moisture and do a poor job of protecting the instrument. I'm just not sure whether I should order the ukulele with a hard case or since it comes with a gig-bag, assume that it will make it here okay. I guess it's always better to be safe than sorry though!
    Oh, for that kind of water resistance I think the one I had would have been okay. It was some kind of treated canvas exterior - I know when I dribbled a bit of water on it from topping off a humidifier it beaded like there was some kind of fabric coating involved - the drops of water would just have soaked into untreated canvas.

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

Isn't there a water resisitant spray...called Scotchguard for repelling water if you are worried about that..

If you can wait a little, I have a uke being shipped to me from the US to Australia in a polyfoam case and I'm intending to do an unboxing vid on arrival. Due in about a week or so. The case is in a cardboard box, not sure what else as far as protection.
    Bruce in Adelaide

Makala Soprano MK-SN Precious
    Eleuke solid body electric Concert size in Rosewood, CC100-PHP Mini Hendrix
    Cordoba Concert 25CK solid 'acacia koa' grown in Portugal Domingo

YouTube
    http://www.youtube.com/user/brucemoffatt

Thread Information