Thread: Martin Vintage Uke wood

Default Martin Vintage Uke wood

Aside from the trim differences that made them different models how different was the construction and wood of Martin 0-3 mahogany and koa ukes? Inquiring minds want to know. TIA,g

I seriously doubt you'll find any consistent differences in wood thickness, bracing, etc. that is based on wood alone. There are subtle differences year to year, and I'm sure, craftsman to craftsman in the factory, but these were and are factory-made instruments, and once the design was decided upon, they get built to dimension, not tap or flex tuning.

Thanks Rick, I always appreciate your knowledgeable answers. Maybe I wasn't clear, really I was asking if the basic specs and wood were the same across these models or if different bracing systems and different quality mahogany were used in say a 1M vs. a 3M?

I can tell you that one particular 20's Style 0M is significantly thicker front back and sides than one particular 20's Style 1K, and that the headstocks are not exactly the same shape. Bracing and construction looks to be the same to my ignorant eye.
    Not a very significant survey size though.
    Mandolin:1

Thread Information