Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Standard of Ukulele

Default Standard of Ukulele

does it depress anyone that to be a ukulele prodigy all u have to do is sing hey soul sister after having lessons for four years....or how everyone thinks that little kid who "plays" i'm yours is great. In general when people say that they can "play" and then they strum some bogus jason maraz simplified chords...then u say it sound more like this...and u play it the normal way...nothing special...and people say u r really good. It just makes me a little sad that everyone has such low expectations of ukuleles.

Vista (North County San Diego), California

I'm just the opposite. I enjoy watching and listening to anyone who has the guts to perform in front of an audience. I'd rather hear the worst live performance on the planet, than the best DJ in the Universe. No seamless loops. No CD's/MP3's. Just a warm body putting their heart and soul on stage for the masses. Ric

It make me happy that just about everyone that picks up the ukulele can be taught three chords within minutes and play just about any rock-n-roll song ever written with just a little practice. It's awesome I can teach a four year old to play you are my sunshine. It also make me happy to watch an older Hawaiian sing a song and play it on the ukulele that he learned from his grandmother many years ago. And it make me feel so special to be able to watch Aldrine kick ass on stage shredding an original he wrote.

This instrument is for everyone, that's the beauty of it. The expectations of others is only limited by what you can show them. Teach those with low expectations those three simple chords and watch them smile..... Then show them an Aldrine vid.

Vista (North County San Diego), California

It makes me VERY happy to watch and listen to Sally and the Barefoot Wahines play and sing anything! Da kine, brah! Ric

Nope. Does'nt depress me at all.

Honestly, what you see as "low standards" on the ukulele is what makes the instrument so beautiful. The reason the uke is so special is because of the simplicity. Guitarists and certainly other instrumentalists can go on and on about skill but at the end of the day it's not about skill, but about enjoying music. The uke is so beautiful because it can make a man who has never thought of playing music in his life a musician.

If you want proof look at Jake, one of the all time greats. He surely has virtuoso-notch skills but he constantly preaches about the uke's simplicity.

I'm just happy that the ukulele still seems to bring smiles to so many faces! It's not a pretentious instrument - it can be for anybody.
    1:99
    The PoHo Store

We've got a ukulele cool that can't be faked. -hoosierhiver
    ...if being a good person was easy no one would be a dick. -skitzic
    I have no issues with bluntness, but being an asshat is not being blunt, it's just being an asshat. -austin1

I think you are missing the point.. of the beauty and simplicity of the instrument..that makes it fun and enjoyable...ukers are not snobs...we enjoy all ukers...
    When you start judging people, you have lost that aloha that this instrument emanates... sorry you feel that way....

And I still have never heard "hey soul sister", to the best of my knowledge.

But I've been playing "Save Me San Francisco" on the uke, so when I hear someone talk about "That Train song with Ukulele", that's what I think of.

Not a prodigy, have 0 years of lessons, just lovin' the instrument.

-Kurt
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #460 &#412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Manalishi Guest

It all depends on what your goals and expectations are
    as has been said already! I was a guitarist in a former life
    and simply lost interest in it after 48 years,following an
    illness.Then I bought a cheap Mahalo Ukulele on a whim
    and 'learned' to play it.That is,I mastered the majority of
    the commonly used chords.
    I play for my own amusement,and if anyone else likes what
    I do,thats great.If they don't,I don't care! I get my fun and
    enjoyment out of what I do,as do millions of others.
    And I too,would rather hear a REAL person playing a uke to
    whatever standard they can,than any ammount of canned
    so called 'music'! Get out there and strum,and above all else
    ENJOY!!!!
    Last edited by Manalishi; 07-10-2011 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Typos galore!

Thread Information