Transitioning from 'ukulele to guitar

The one thing you haven't mentioned is what kind of music you want to play. Your answer may dictate if you want to play a ukulele, or go straight to a guitar. In my case I used to play classical guitar, but having developed arthritis in both hands I migrated to ukuleles, which while easier to play will never sound as rich and full as a guitar.

A few days ago I received a new 3/4 scale classical guitar, and it is so much easier for me to play than my full size guitar, I will probably not be playing my ukuleles much accept in my car or when traveling.

You can spend a lot of money purchasing a ukulele that will never sound as good as a modest price guitar. It's all about the size and physics.

My new guitar is a Kremona S58C 3/4 sized classical guitar with a solid cedar top that cost me $229.00. You could spend a fortune on a ukulele that will never sound as good.

I guess what I am trying to say is if in the end you are interested in playing guitar, just get a guitar.

The uke uses nylon strings so... it makes sense to buy a guitar that uses nylon strings. But do NOT buy a classical guitar -- the nut on a classical is freaking WIDE. Instead buy a fusion-type nylon string guitar. Fusions have a much narrower nut than a classical.

By the way, "fusion" is an instrument type, not a brand name. Another name for fusion type is "crossover" type. As mentioned previously, the fusion type guitar has a narrower nut than a classical guitar. Fusion guitars also have radiused fretboards whereas classical fretboards are flat. Result: a fusion type, nylon-stringed guitar is easier to learn on than a steel string -- even barre chords are a piece of cake.

My own fusion is Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra CE CD/IN Acoustic/Electric Nylon String that I bought in primo used condition for $558 fob Hawaii. Cordoba makes so-so ukes but they are very highly regarded for producing excellent mid-price guitars. Check me out on this by doing a search at Acoustic Guitar Forum.

I wish you good luck in transitioning to guitar.

Last edited:
I just realized that this thread was started in 2011, so maybe it's not relivent anymore.

Top Bottom