Find the classic love songs, win a Makala Tenor mk-t

Dougf

Reaction score
A random drawing contest, so anybody can win. Open to all UU members.

Prize:

Makala Tenor mk-t high-G
This is pretty much a brand new uke. I bought it from Musicguymic in March, and I've played it just a couple of times.

Rules:

1) Listen to the lyrics of my original song "Love is Old, Love is New" and find the references to the classic love songs. There are at least eight. You can also expand the YouTube description, and the lyrics are written out. Here's a link to the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYFTB_yelYQ

2) Send me a PM with the titles of the songs and authors. One entry per person.

3) Anybody that gets at least six correct answers qualifies to get their name in the hat for the random drawing.

4) In addition, you can cover one of these songs on ukulele and post the youtube video to this thread, and your name will also be added to the hat. This effectively doubles your chances of winning. Only one video per contestant.

Deadline:
Midnight July 31, 2011 PST

Winner to be announced on Tuesday, August 2, 2011.

Last edited:
When you say author do you mean the person who wrote the song .
Or do you want the name of the person who is know for performing the song.

I have got six titles but need to do some research as to who wrote them or performed them.

This is an old man's game :) Those kids out there will have a hard time of it.

"When you say author do you mean the person who wrote the song .
Or do you want the name of the person who is know for performing the song."

I meant author(s), but I won't be too much of a stickler if it's clearly the right song.

OK I have used the power of the mighty interwebs and I have sent you a PM

Too fast for an old guy!!!

PM sent. I only found seven. :(

Cool, a contest for us old farts. Actually, I'm 57 and most of these are before my time as well, but I recognize them from old movies and remakes. Heck, even Steve Martin did one of them in a flick.

But I only got seven. Will be interesting to find out what #8 was. :)

I quit at ten- three by the same writer.

-Kurt

We got eight! PM sent. Thanks Doug, this was fun!

How rude of me. In all the excitement of actually finding the songs and looking up the songwriters, I forgot to mention how much I liked your song Doug! Very creative! Lyrics, chords used and witty content. Very Good!

I just added another 4 to the list - so I've sent Doug 14. I'm not going after any others, but wondered if anyone else got that many, or more?

-Kurt

Great song, Doug, and a most inviting and appropriate performance! Thanks for the pleasure of hearing it. :)

Thanks also for the stimulation of the contest. I found ten definite classics (including three by the same composer) without assistance, but I had to look up some of the composers.

My list includes 15 songs, but some of them are definitely not classics. ;)

I don't know all the songs, but I just want to shout my support... "Go Bears!"

You must be referring to my sweatshirt :). Yeah, I'm a Cal alum. My daughter gave me that sweatshirt for Christmas. She's currently a student at Cal.

Great song, nice contest! Now excuse me while I check which of these hits I have in one of my old ukulele songbooks...

One week to go!

Just one week to get your entries in, and don't forget, you can post your ukulele cover of one of these songs to get your name in the hat twice. I know some of these are challenging songs, but it does double your odds. Good luck to everyone.

Last edited:
Just one week to get your entries in, and don't forget, you can post your ukulele cover of one of these songs to get your name in the hat twice. I know some of these are challenging songs, but it does double your odds. Good luck to everyone.

Still practicing... almost got one down...

Top Bottom