Muscle memory?

GreatGazukes,

Please don't allow the pedantry of a few to diminish your enjoyment of, or participation in, the forums. I'm reasonably certain that I am not alone in finding your posts quite useful and often entertaining; much more so than the posts of some who seem to cross the border from humorous to boorish far more frequently than seems either healthy or entertaining.

John

While I agree with you, we must understand that this is (still) the internet. Lets not let our emotions get tangled in with words on a computer screen...

I can only think of one thing to add:

Hold the chord you are having trouble with as you normally would. It sounds like G is your problem so try G (there are a couple cheat ways of playing G, but I think the extra effort for the normal version is worth it - it sounds way better). Take one finger at a time and repeatedly lift it up and place it back down on the string while still holding the chord. Do the same thing with the rest of the remaining fingers, one at a time - lift, set down, lift, set down. I found that this helped me learn the chord shapes and plant them firmly into my head. Don't remember who showed me that trick.

All I can say is to play about an hour after you awake..your mind is rested and clear from too many things.. you will see the difference in memory and how you retain things and creativity at it's best.

Ian, I don't really have a breadth of musical talent that I can offer this forum, and I admit to being pleased when an occasion arises wherby I can offer a bit of knowledge that I have taken some effort to gain and memorise. Such a rejoinder as that quoted above diminishes my comfort to be an active participant in the UU.
??? Not sure how that insulted you. Not intended. I merely asked how water - which lacks nutrients - can feed a brain, and suggested that something with natural sugars might work better. Just doesn't seem obvious to me. If you can please provide the explanation on how plain water feeds the brain, we will all be enlightened.

Well I like to look at it more holistically. Mind and Body are not two the way I look at things. sort of like a headlight is part of a car and so are the tires. Its the whole unit that works together to be a car. Same thing with ukulele playing or anything else. But there is a term called Mind to Muscle which means basically get it in there so the unconscious does it or its as if the muscle does it itself. Thats what we work to so its easier. Very simple really. People call it muscle memory. There are brain cells all over and not just in the head... everything is connected.

I have a good understanding of the neurophysiology of it all, but I just accept the fact that the more you do it the easer it becomes to do it! Keep on uking!

??? Not sure how that insulted you. Not intended. I merely asked how water - which lacks nutrients - can feed a brain, and suggested that something with natural sugars might work better. Just doesn't seem obvious to me. If you can please provide the explanation on how plain water feeds the brain, we will all be enlightened.

Oh, I wasn't insulted Ian, and I took pains to assume that you were being nothing more than capricously malicious by your pharseology. I actually harboured a suspicion you are aspergic, and I felt that advising you how your comments affected me may be of use so that you could reflect on their consequences.

But I have digressed, as to the erroneous statement of yours that I said "water....can feed a brain", I actually said "and drink some water, a starved brain does not function well", having referred to my OED, starve does mean to cause suffering for lack of something needed. Has this been of enlightenment for you?

It was really very silly of me to have tried to give the OP some information in a layman's terms that may be of benefit to him and steer him away from ideas of muscle memory, and appreciate the functioning of the brain. I just thought a full explanation of the syanaptic processes was unnecessary.

And please what ever could you possibly think comes out of my fawcetts?? Chokito Bars???

While I agree with you, we must understand that this is (still) the internet. Lets not let our emotions get tangled in with words on a computer screen...

Huh? My post was about as unemotional as it gets... I don't really have a dog in this hunt; I was just pointing out to one member that he shouldn't let the antics of another dictate his enjoyment, or lack thereof, of our community. :)

John

Huh? My post was about as unemotional as it gets... I don't really have a dog in this hunt; I was just pointing out to one member that he shouldn't let the antics of another dictate his enjoyment, or lack thereof, of our community. :)

John

Sorry for mixing you in buddy. I probably just quoted you by mistake my reply was to the thread in general. Just saying :)

...I actually harboured a suspicion you are aspergic... And please what ever could you possibly think comes out of my fawcetts?? Chokito Bars???
I've been accused of being cynical, pedantic, supercilious, presumptuous, imperious, high-handed, arrogant, sarcastic, blowhard and a wiseacre - among others - but never aspergic before. But they are all editorial comments, while yours is a medical diagnosis, one made without benefit of a formal consultation. As a politician and former newspaper editor, I am accustomed to the former. I am not accustomed to the latter without at least being a patient. Am I to be billed for this pleasure? ;)

You are correct, starve has various meanings, but when referring to physiology or used intransitively, without an object (such as 'starved of oxygen' or 'starved for affection'), it is usual to intend it to mean 'to suffer or die from extreme or prolonged lack of food' rather than a general sense of deprivation. And it was in that sense I read it. When a child complains, "I'm starving" it is custom to understand the child is hungry, not deprived of, say, TV hours, or Wii time, or even a lack of sugary soda pop.

To be bereft of hydration is usually referred to as 'thirsty' (which, too, has a variety of synonyms), the resolution to which is water or other suitable liquids. When I feel the urge for a beer or glass of wine - or even a shot of tequila - I say I am thirsty, not I am starved. So if you meant starved in such an unexpected but linguistically acceptable-albeit-prone-to-misinterpretation definition, I apologize for my questions to which you took umbrage.

As for what comes out of your faucet, I cannot conjecture, but in general, urban tap water may contain water plus a variety of minerals, chemical compounds (some of which are organic), several contaminants such as pesticides and farming-industry chemicals, and even microorganisms. Liquefied chlorine is commonly used in municipal water systems, but fluorosilicic acid, aluminium sulphate, calcium hydroxide and sodium silicofluoride may also be used. None of these are generally accepted as nutritious, in the sense of providing food or anything that mitigates a "starved brain" if by which you meant hungry. However, if you meant his brain could be starved of fluoride, then you would, of course, be correct in your usage.

My own tap water, based on recent analysis by both the province and local water authority, contains merely H2O with such a minute amount of other elements as to be negligible and well below any threshold for attention. It is as pure any any municipal water can be. I consider it refreshing, but not, in the sense of the word I use, nutritious. Again, I apologize if it seemed our non-mutual understanding of that term seemed at loggerheads.

Chokito bars? They are not available in any Canadian confectionery, at least to my knowledge. However, since I do not consume candy bars, nor do I normally even browse the candy counters looking for high-caloric white-sugar comestibles of dubious benefit to health and which promote tooth decay, I cannot say for certain. But I did grasp the general concept.

:D

NYG...my answer to your question really involves practice. The more you do it, the quicker your chord changes will become. It's as simple and difficult as that, really. Don't be too hard on yourself and try not to be impatient. Things will click into place but give it time.

There is a member here who displays a recurrent pattern of behaviour that is offensive to many. This person apparently takes delight in undermining other people. Examples are numerous and frequent. I believe this behaviour should have been dealt with long ago. If I am sanctioned for this comment, so be it. I do share the view that it is such people who destroy the morale of this wonderful community. Really, how much is enough?

To GreatGazukes, I appreciate your original answer. It was helpful to me.

Last edited:
The number of sins I commit each day would be enough to condemn me to hell a thousand times over. That's not my point. Be bad as you wanna. Nastiness masquerading as intellect at other people's expense on a public forum don't work for me.

Wow guys, let's not spoil the fun. More uke talk, less derailing of the thread.

I have an academic degree in biology and the muscle memory thing is true. But all in all it comes down to the old adage (sp? no academic degree in english :) ) practice makes perfect. Train train train, I picked up chords easily because I had muscle memory built up from years of guitar playing.

well I am working on a song myself, memorizing it and the muscle memory is in the prior chord linking to the next

All I can say is to play about an hour after you awake..your mind is rested and clear from too many things.. you will see the difference in memory and how you retain things and creativity at it's best.

thats a realy great tip Stan! I've not heard that one before. I keep my uke near or in my bed lol so my morning often starts with a song. :)

brans, neurons, muscles all good. But in this thread I have not realy seen the posters original problem addressed - fat fingers. And also tendons/flexibility

I taught guitar for many years, and people of all sizes and skills.
Some of my students has a real struggle with this one. Their fingertips being literaly too wide to fit between the strings when a string in between them was placed on a fret. Chords in particular like the center finger of the G form(D on a guitar)

some suggestions.

study where between the strings you are placing. generaly the problem comes when the meaty backside of the finger tip touches. Try to get you fingernal as close to the string infront of it as possible thereby giving room to the back.

also vitaly important , playing on your fingertips and curling your fingers. this is where the flexibility part comes in.
when I say fingertip I mean right behind the fingernail. Pressing with this part, if you look at the backside of the finger , will compress that area and lift it and also make room for the string behind the finger. to do this you will realy have to 'curl' you fingers over a lot, so knuckle stretching is a big help. do this by curling up your fingers and squeezing your curled fingers with your other hand giving a good stretch to the first joint especialy. Dont just do this during practice , but through out your day. I have read recently for a strech to be effect you have to hold it for 30 seconds. i dont know if that is true.

For people with realy large hands , you may have to take more extreme messures like buying an insument wth as wide a neck as possible (nice excuse togo uke shopping eh? ;) ) Look for one with low action. The lower the strings the less likely they are to make contact with the back of your finger. If you have high action on the instrument you are using now this could be a factor.

and for those realy desparate you can try wearing medical tape around the tips of your fingers (not to tight!) to try to slenderise them a bit (like a finger girdle) over time it can make a slight difference , but in the case of string clearnces, sometimes a little can be a lot.

I hope these tips are helpful. Best of luck

An interesting piece in Wikipedia on "muscle memory" includes this:
The retention of motor skills, now referred to as muscle memory, also began to be of great interest in the early 1900s. Most motor skills are thought to be acquired through practice; however, mere observation of the skill has led to learning as well.[4] Research suggests we do not start off with a blank slate with regard to motor memory although we do learn most of our motor memory repertoire during our lifetime.[5] Movements such as facial expressions, which are thought to be learned, can actually be observed in children who are blind; thus there is some evidence for motor memory being genetically pre-wired.[5]

In the early stages of empirical research of motor memory Edward Thorndike, a leading pioneer in the study of motor memory, was among the first to acknowledge learning can occur without conscious awareness.[6] One of the earliest and most notable studies regarding the retention of motor skills was by Hill, Rejall, and Thorndike, who showed savings in relearning typing skills after a 25 year period with no practice.[2] Findings related to the retention of learned motor skills have been continuously replicated in studies, suggesting that through subsequent practice, motor learning is stored in the brain as memory. This is why performing skills such as riding a bike or driving a car are effortlessly and ‘unconsciously’ executed, even if someone had not performed these skills in a long period of time.

Motor behavior

When first learning a motor task, movement is often slow, stiff and easily disrupted without attention. With practice, execution of motor task becomes smoother, there is a decrease in limb stiffness, and muscle activity necessary to the task is performed without conscious effort.[7]

Muscle memory encoding

The neuroanatomy of memory is widespread throughout the brain; however, the pathways important to motor memory are separate from the medial temporal lobe pathways associated with declarative memory.[8] As with declarative memory, motor memory is theorized to have two stages: a short-term memory encoding stage, which is fragile and susceptible to damage, and a long-term memory consolidation stage, which is more stable.[9]

The memory encoding stage is often referred to as motor learning, and requires an increase in brain activity in motor areas as well as an increase in attention. Brain areas active during motor learning include the motor and somatosensory cortices; however, these areas of activation decrease once the motor skill is learned. The prefrontal and frontal cortices are also active during this stage due to the need for increased attention on the task being learned.[7]

The main area involved in motor learning is the cerebellum. Some models of cerebellar-dependent motor learning, in particular the Marr-Albus model, propose a single plasticity mechanism involving the cerebellar long-term depression(LTD) of the parallel fiber synapses onto Purkinje cells. These modification in synapse activity would mediate motor input with motor outputs critical to inducing motor learning.[10] However, conflicting evidence suggests that a single plasticity mechanism is not sufficient and a multiple plasticity mechanism is needed to account for the storage of motor memories over time. Regardless of the mechanism, studies of cerebellar-dependent motor tasks show that cerebral cortical plasticity is crucial for motor learning, even if not necessarily for storage.[11]

The basal ganglia also play an important role in memory and learning, in particular in reference to stimulus-response associations and the formation of habits. The basal ganglia-cerebellar connections are thought to increase with time when learning a motor task.[12]

Muscle memory consolidation

Muscle memory consolidation involves the continuous evolution of neural processes after practicing a task has stopped. The exact mechanism of motor memory consolidation within the brain is controversial; however, most theories assume that there is a general redistribution of information across the brain from encoding to consolidation. Hebb's rule states that “synaptic connectivity changes as a function of repetitive firing.” In this case, that would mean that the high amount of stimulation coming from practicing a movement would cause the repetition of firing in certain motor networks; presumably leading to an increase in the efficiency of exciting these motor networks over time.[11]

Though the exact location of muscle memory storage is not known, studies have suggested that it is the inter-regional connections that play the most important role in advancing motor memory encoding to consolidation, rather than decreases in overall regional activity. These studies have shown a weakened connection from the cerebellum to the primary motor area with practice, it is presumed because of a decreased need for error correction from the cerebellum. However, the connection between the basal ganglia and the primary motor area is strengthened, suggesting the basal ganglia plays an important role in the motor memory consolidation process.[11]

The term "muscle memory" is a bit of a misnomer, it's really a body memory that develops as neural pathways are used repeatedly. Regular practice is the only thing that'll make this happen. . . and one should practice slowly and accurately to reinforce the correct movements and timings. Practicing without looking at the hands also helps in feeling where the fingers are supposed to be and, in the case of large position changes, the hands and arms. You'll put it together, just practice most every day. A little every day is better than a lot once a week. Someone, I can't remember who, said "An eight hour practice day is not the same as an eight hour practice week."

I like to practice in the morning. If I'm working on something that I'm having problems with practice before bed seems to work well, probably because it's the last thing I'm thinking about before la la land and I think I retain more.

Top Bottom