23skidoo's Weekly Original

where is the damn "Like" button on this forum?

Hey Bill, this last tune is just awesome. Gorgeous. Tons of feeling, beautiful lyrics and a sweet arrangement. Gee I can hear some mandolin and cello there. You one talented beast mate. Lovely production too, awesome sound quality. And your voice is wonderfully soothing. Now we're only left to anticipate the record...

Here's #6..... went a little nuts with the editing software, both audio and video..... hope you like it.....

So after I posted this, I watched the video myself, to make sure the link worked and that the video uploaded properly. This video was the main 'related' video that came up on the embedded player. I really hope it stays that way.

Your voice sounds great on this one.

I envy your focus in getting a song done every week. I had time off this week, and one of my goals was to get a couple of my many half-finished songs completed. (I've got a ton of things, many 20 years old, that are one or two verses shy of a load.) I got some videotaping done, but didn't get any of the songs done.

Thanks, man, I've definitely been trying to improve my singing. I also have been using the old studio trick of doubling the vocal track and adding a fair amount of reverb..... definitely fattens it up and smooths over the rough areas.

It's been hard coming up with the initial idea for each tune, but once I get started, it's actually getting easier to just crank out a song. Like I said, I'm more worried about quantity than quality at this point - and definitely more concerned about getting some practice writing halfway decent lyrics..... the whole point of this exercise is to jumpstart my 'writer switch' which has been dormant since.... well, I've just never followed through with writing tunes. I appreciate you and the couple of other guys who consistently give me feedback - it's encouraging and it's also good motivation knowing even a few people are watching week to week, so thanks once again....

Wow Bill- this one has a lot of depth to it don't it? Love me a sad one on the Uke, and this nailed it. The two uke tracks sound great together as well, at first I thought you had just overlapped the same track, and when I realized that was not the case, I was impressed by the amount of practice that must have gone on, and the depth you were able to get with the two tracks together. More inspiration to keep trying to arrive at the same level with my videos...better pack a lunch :)
Stand out here is how well the lyrics and "mood" match your singing style though- just fantastic bit of writing there that fits your voice perfectly. Great job all around.
Now, as a teacher I implore you, do not try to pull any of the young'uns teeth with a rocket. That made me cringe a little...what a gloriously bad idea...seems like something I would do, or did...cannot remember now ;)

Thanks Chindog, Dave.... appreciate the feedback. I've been trying to keep the arrangements interesting as part of the process, so I'm glad you like the results.... this is actually a little out of my vocal range, pretty tough in spots, but I dig the melody on this one. Thanks again....

Here's #7.... a little short on both time and ideas this week, but I think it turned out okay..... apologies to Hank Williams, if he's listening.....

Thanks, Dave..... always appreciate the comments....

Nice songs, man - and very well recorded! Wish I had equipment like that!
Thanks, Doc - that means a lot coming from such an accomplished musician..... and the equipment is pretty basic. I just use Garage Band on my MacBook to record the audio - got a relatively bottom-end mic pretty cheap online and a very modest digital audio interface to get the signal into the computer.... that's pretty much it. I think the application Audacity is fairly comparable and can be downloaded for free....

Here's #6..... went a little nuts with the editing software, both audio and video..... hope you like it.....

Bill this is just great. You have a beautiful voice mate and a wonderful ear for melody.

Here's #7.... a little short on both time and ideas this week, but I think it turned out okay..... apologies to Hank Williams, if he's listening.....

just diggin it Bill...would have loved to have hooked onto that one with another uke part...he he....that's my kind of stuff. Great, incisive lyrics, simple catchy melody = winner as far as I'm concerned. This is a great thread mate, really, really enjoying it.

just diggin it Bill...would have loved to have hooked onto that one with another uke part...he he....that's my kind of stuff. Great, incisive lyrics, simple catchy melody = winner as far as I'm concerned. This is a great thread mate, really, really enjoying it.

Glad you're diggin, Jon.... I'm having fun doing it..... truly appreciate the kind words and encouragement.....

Here's #6..... went a little nuts with the editing software, both audio and video..... hope you like it...
I sure do. Great playing and singing. I really like your unique style of writing and performing.
Don

Top Bottom