Southern Illinois Ukin' in the Woods 2011! THE SEQUAL!

bornagainjeeper

Reaction score
NOTICE:::: This information was UPDATED in late August, as the location for the event has shifted slightly due to unforeseen circumstances and state politics... (no really) new info is underlined

Howdy!
After a wonderful success last year, I am proud to say Ukin' in the Woods will return for another year. This 2011 Ukin' In the woods already shows promise to grow from last years event...If you'll looking for a laid back fall weekend among the leaves of North Americas more diverse hardwood forest, this is the place to be! A quick recap of last year: We had 17 people show up, a small but extremely warm group. Friday saw playing around a campfire, a toy piano, and coyotes howling, scaring the pants off of Big City Seeso. Saturday was a hike 2 miles into a remote (yet accessible) National Wilderness Area.

Camp out Objective(why)
The objective of this event is to not only build bonds of friendship but bonds with our natural world as well. Making music in the forest, near the water, or on a bluff with people with who, we have so much in common.

Who- Open to all ages uke players or enthusiasts, friends, family, pets ect...I expect the turn out to be modest, around 20-30 people, and intimate gathering to share good music and conversation

When- DATE CONFIRMED FOR OCTOBER 14-15-16 2011....Arrive on friday anytime after noon (or just talked to me ahead and you can come earlier) and be leaving Sunday evening ish....

Where- THE SITE HAS CHANGED!- I received news that i would be unable to use the facility we used last year, which was lovely, putting me in a tight spot...but some quick calls got me another one which i truly and honestly like better (see video) This large site (likely nearly and acre) features a large fire ring with benches (as well as room for comfy chairs) a neat little stage area! and a very small shelter with a few benches and such for covert jams and video taking (also COULD sleep maybe 3 people in a pinch)...a trail which originates from that site (a Civilian conservation corps heritage trail for history nerds) as well as water, semi skanky vault toilets, and a very large pavilion perfect in case of possible rain troubles (technically we can't sleep in it, technically....) This site offers a few things the other didn't...while there is no longer any real indoor camping (that cabin was a lovely touch) there is that shelter for emergencies. Alcohol is 100% permitted at this site (unlike last years secret agent drinking) and we are still very fair away from other groups. The scenery is marvelous tucked back into a little holler with a small creek near by, steep wall on one side and rolling ozark. I was honestly seriously bummed about the cabin situation this morning, however, upon visiting the site, i'm nearly giddy. This site is a little farther south, making the nearest city Anna Illinois, which does have a small number of hotel rooms in chains (super 8 i think) and would be 15 minutes or so from the group. The train does not go to anna, but carbondale is still only about 25-30 minutes away, less convenient but still very doable, and rides can easily be arranged, just be vocal ahead of time. I will update with full directions but http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/parks/r5/trltears.htm will get you some vague instructions. Long story short, you would (if getting off of I 57...take Hwy13 west to the down of murphysboro, then south on 127...20 miles down is Trail of Tears State Forest. From St louis, you would already be on 127 anyhow....
The ONE downside to this site is....no showers located terribly nearby...I don't believe the park has any...I still have acess to the showers at little grassy campground, but that is quite a while away...(fine for your way home)... There is one outdoor shower stall at my Boss/mentor//friends house more on that in a minute.... The cooking situation is all on your own, there are a few grills at the site (the typical park kind) on stands. I will bring a large 1 burner propane jet engine of a stove (the bottom of a turkey fryer) other wise all coolers, beer, food, ect is on your own with the possibe exception of saturday night (see later)

Driving DIRECTIONS! the location is Trail of Tears State forest (Jonesboro Il)

FROM CHICAGOLAND. Take I 57 South PASSING marion illinois exit (last years) by about 20 miles. You will exit at HWY 146 Anna Vienna and travel WEST Passing through Anna, and then the twin "city" of Jonesboro. After leaving jonesboro you will make a RIGHT on HWY 127 NORTHBOUND toward murphysboro. About 2 miles up the road is the signage for TRAIL OF TEARS STATE FOREST. Follow the park road until you reach a Silver barnshaped gift and visitors center, making a LEFT on Fire Tower Road. Follow this road through the picnic area, Following signs to the YOUTH CAMP where it dead ends (And wiggles about) to a yellow gate near the bathrooms and large brown walled pavillion

FROM ST LOUISLAND: Take I 64 EAST exiting at NASHVILLE IL HWY 127. Follow one 127 SOUTH about 1 hour and 15 minutes PAST MUPHYSBORO. You will pass the town of ALTOPASS and you are about 5 miles away. Take a RIGHT at TRAIL OF TEARS STATE FOREST r Follow the park road until you reach a Silver barnshaped gift and visitors center, making a LEFT on Fire Tower Road. Follow this road through the picnic area, following signs to the YOUTH CAMP where it dead ends (And wiggles about) to a yellow gate near the bathrooms and large brown walled pavillion[/COLOR]

A NOTE ABOUT ANNA. JONESBORO. There is a semi confusing intersection (for me anyhow) While following 146 WEST you will come to a stop light near the train tracks. At the intersection you will continue to follow 146 by making a LEFT at the stop sign CROSSING the Railroad tracks, then traveling through jonesboro, around a small round about but continuing in a straight direction through.

What:
Friday- Just meet-greet, Jam and Eat. Participants will likely arrive mid to late afternoon. The cabin site does have electricity, to facilitate jamming into the night (as well as a wonderful fireplace)
Saturday- BREAKFAST PROVIDED BY TIM OF UKEEKU.COM pancakes, eggs, ect free for all the masses! then---Southern Illinois is home to a wonderful array of wineries, (a dozen or more) many specializing in our most common local crops apples and peaches, as well as grapes. Saturday will be spent winding our way down the country roads and forcing our ukulele ways on the patrons of these fine establishments, as most of these wineries as very scenic areas to sit and enjoy the late summer sun (expect temperatures in the 60's to 70s during the day, and 35-55 at night) This won't be a completely organized afternoon, though i expect the majority of us will travel together,being the wacky band of minstrels we are. At some point we will then travel to do some ukin' in the woods. A short hike (different from last year) Will be the name of the game. The hike will be kept reasonably short 1-3 miles or about 1.5 hours of walking, but will be over moderately difficult uneven terrain...The hike will take place at one of many of the wonderful sites in the shawnee national forest (google it for pictures) Home to 300 million year old sandstone bluffs, and abundant wildlife, birding, and flora. Of course the hike is optional, and for those differently abled or choosing not to join us, arrangements can be made for canoe rentals (which can happen for anyone at any time, just let me know) and a wonderful time on beautiful Grassy Lake in the heart of Crab Orchard National Wildlife refuge, a winter home to nearly a Half a million migrating waterfowl. Saturday will likely also feature time at Crazy Curts Cabin (my boss) if he is availabe that weekend-where he offered to Cook out for us, play music (hes a veryyyyy talented song writer and musician, a local treasure down here...i posted a lecture he did later in this thread) Curt lives within spittin distance of trail of tears (apperently there is a trail you could even hike (drunk?) from our wood to his...but the car trip is 5 min. Hes got a nice outdoor sauna and shower...So bring your swimming trunks and a towel of you're into that kinda thing I SURE AM. That shower could be used, with respectful discretion please, by those really in need of a shower.

Sunday Can be Nature or Wine part II for those who wish to stay. I can point you towards other wonderful places to visit...Or will GLADLY join you for some guided afternoon adventure (i am a wilderness guide afterall...some people pay good money for that!..not sure why...) Most folks last year left early afternoon on sunday to get home for the monday grind...but i would be happy to entertain anyone willing to extend their weekend.

Cost of the event is $5 per person per night, and we will be staying two nights. Regardless of other accommodations, I would ask for the fee, as they will likely do a head count during the day, and charge accordingly and i'm likely going to loose some money myself somewhere anyhow....so it could help me start keeping up with the costs.
Other Accomodations:
If camping isn't your thing for physical or other reasons, and a nice comfy bed is the way you want to go, please look into

the Towns of Carbondale (25 miles from site) Marion (35 miles from site) Anna (5miles from site) and Murphysboro ( 20 miles from site,) all have many hotels

So that's about all for now, I will update this thread often, as i get more information, there is an existing Facebook group "Ukin' in the Woods" which has pictures from last year, as well as a place for upto information and discussion about rides, gear, and other concerns...

Alex

Last edited:
Alex. I will be making it this year. Looking forward to it. Thanks for organizing it again.

Well luckily I managed to devise and event that requires very little real effort from me...look at people like Hoosierhiver as real heros of the ukefest circut

Iknow I am going to try and come but not sure if the wife will let me leave the baby with her for the weekend.

last year was absolutely amazing, and I wish I could make it this year! You guys will have a blast, for sure.

I will do my best to be there. Probably my sister Lynn also. Actually I'd like to do more than Fri, Sat and Sun. We'll see.

Im in again. trying to get the wife to come also this time.
I will do breakfast saturday morning for everyone. Just Eggs, pancakes, and other stuffs like orange juice and fruit. get our energy up for the hike and wine tours

Psyched once again this year. New phone, so no unfortunate accidental pocket dials.

Psyched once again this year. New phone, so no unfortunate accidental pocket dials.

For anyone who missed it, last year Matt had his phone in his back pocket and accidentally dialed 911 with his butt while asleep in the middle of the night. A cop showed up and nobody could figure out what happened till the next day. Sorry Matt, but it's a great story!

For anyone who missed it, last year Matt had his phone in his back pocket and accidentally dialed 911 with his butt while asleep in the middle of the night. A cop showed up and nobody could figure out what happened till the next day. Sorry Matt, but it's a great story!
We knew it was an awesome time when the cops came.

Arrgh. I have a sound gig I have to work on 10/16! Bah. Ah well. Next year. :(

-Pete

Hope to make it this year!

If you're planning on getting a cabin or a B&B, call now; 10/15 is SIU's homecoming game.

Also the weekend of Vulture Fest in Makanda, so there will be a lot going on...

Also the weekend of Vulture Fest in Makanda, so there will be a lot going on...
yes thank you earl....it also fell on that weekend last year, most people were unable to find a BB, (though we only had about 20) Alllllso you and i need to get together and play...had any makanda get togethers lately...i just live up by cedar lake on old 51

Top Bottom