Speed Strumming!!!

Sketch lagit

Reaction score
Hey ya'll, so I'm pretty sure most of you know who Jake Shimabukuro is. Well is this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k he plays while my guitar gently weeps and at about 3:10 he starts this crazy speed strumming thing. At first I thought it was trebolo but he has a closed fist... almost looks like he uses the nail of his index finger going down and the nail of his thumb coming up. If you have any idea what its called or how he does it (where on his fingers, and what fingers he uses to strum) please leave your comment and share your knowledge, thanks!

That's probably what he's doing (index down, thumb up). You get a better tone that way. Without trying to that is how I've ended up strumming.

Strumming fast is not something I aspire to do, but I do know that one of the key aspects is efficiency. Little movements and adjustments are going to make or break you. I have no idea what strum pattern he is using. It's not just straight tremolo though.

It's a cool trick if you are "there". But you'll just frustrate yourself if you try it when you're not ready. If you have the basics of efficient strumming REALLY down, see if you can figure it out (just asking Jake would best if you get a chance - really. I'm sure he'd be stoked to show you if he has time. If not, see if you can slow the vid down somehow). But if you're not ready, keep working on your basics. Basics. It's super important. One more time: basics. Then you can build from the ground up.

Keep in mind, Jake's been playing for like 30 years now. It didn't happen overnight (I hope).

Good luck!

Hey thanks! Ya I actually found 2 tutorials of jake explaining his strums... although I cannot tell if he is using them in the video. One is where you index down then thumb fallowed by index up (not really sure where to hit with my thumb tho) and the other one was middle and ring finger together strum down, fallowed by a thumb stroke down, and then up with the 2 fingers again, which he does use a little, but ya definitely not expecting to be able to do it anytime soon I would just like to know peoples theories on speed strummin, if you have any tips please do let me know, thanks

Philip Krouk

check out this guy's strumming... he also has videos under krouk

you might want to learn triplets etc.

accidentally learned to do triplets by experimenting with speed strumming.

Get the basic strumming technique then just the same as everything else practice practice practice and start slow then speed up. Just try to feel for the strumming pattern and try to play along eventually it will come.

Im no expert but Jakes been playing for years so practice definitely helps.

Formby's are commonly called Triples, not Triplets. They are different than most Triplet examples you will find.
Just as FYI.

For some odd reason. Speed strumming came easy to me... It's hard and you gotta get your wrist used to it... and I usually do mine in triplets...

yo Huna that Krouk guy is a great player thanx for pointing out his you tube link, by the way have you posted any youtube vids?

Top Bottom