Video Lesson 2 - Summer Breeze

is there like a zshare link for this vid becuase i woul like to download it and put it on my ipod

Just download it using a service like viddownloader or keepvid.

If you use mac and use safari, you can use the activity window to look at everything that is loaded on the webpage. you will be able to see the video, just hold down option and double click to download.

I'm not sure if it's actually easier for other people, but when I play the E chord, I use my ring finger to bar the 2nd-4th strings instead of squeezing 2 or 3 fingers in ther for those 3 strings. I'm not sure if my fingers are double jointed or what, but it's much easier for me to play the E chord that way and also easier to transition in and out of the E chord. It IS one of the most challenging chord shapes though.

That is the issue...my fingers don't bend.......at all. I always need to find away around these types of chords.........thanks though.

I have the same problem with barring the 4th fret with the ring finger to make an E chord. My finger just simply doesn't bend backwards like Aldrine's finger does. I've been playing for a while though so if I really needed to I could do it. But I end up just barring the whole 4th fret and muting the A string. Doing it this way, you miss out on one of the notes, but it isn't too noticable.

Thanks man....I will try that...sounds more manageable for fingers that don't bend backwards.
:eek:

The tutorial is basically a watered down version of the one that i do on YouTube. If you guys want the same strumming as the one in the video, then I suggest that you keep strumming even during the chunks so that you get that percussive sound. I use the 2 finger roll a lot in this one. I might do a recap on the 2 finger roll for this website. I really feel that that technique is VERY useful, especially when trying to get that percussive feel.

I have the same problem with barring the 4th fret with the ring finger to make an E chord. My finger just simply doesn't bend backwards like Aldrine's finger does. I've been playing for a while though so if I really needed to I could do it. But I end up just barring the whole 4th fret and muting the A string. Doing it this way, you miss out on one of the notes, but it isn't too noticable.

Actually, if you're muting the A string your not really missing the note...that same note (B, in this case) is being played on the G string. If you need to use that note as a melody note during the strum, you could always just hold it that way and upstrum.

triplet vs. down up chunk

The tutorial is basically a watered down version of the one that i do on YouTube. If you guys want the same strumming as the one in the video, then I suggest that you keep strumming even during the chunks so that you get that percussive sound. I use the 2 finger roll a lot in this one. I might do a recap on the 2 finger roll for this website. I really feel that that technique is VERY useful, especially when trying to get that percussive feel.

I am doing the "Jake triplet into a chunk" instead of the down up chunk...for whatever reason, it is easier for me....sounds about the same, but with a twist.......what do you think?
:eek:

Actually, if you're muting the A string your not really missing the note...that same note (B, in this case) is being played on the G string. If you need to use that note as a melody note during the strum, you could always just hold it that way and upstrum.

Oh yeah haha :D good point.

Oh wow. I had wondered where this video lesson was, but was too embarassed to ask. Then I found it through Dom's site. How did I not know that there was an actual "website" part of UU? Sweet! This made my day.

I had alot of trouble doing that chord too.

With my 1st finger barring the 2nd fret, my 3rd finger would always hit the A string at the 4th fret.
The solution that I came up with is this:

I use my first finger on the A string at the 2nd fret, and then I have enough room for my 3rd finger to bar the G,C, and E strings.

It took some practice ( about 2 hours ) to get it right without accidently muting the A string, but now I can do it, and I am ( when I have time ) working on putting it all together.

By the way, good job Terrell, no worries about the picking, practice makes perfect.

Aloha
Acabooe:cool: ( pronounced: Ah Kah Bow Oh Ay )

Heya I just recorded my attempt to play this. Since I'm very weak at strumming and strumming patterns. I was very thankful for this lesson. Special thanks for keeping the strumming easy (no power pinky yea :D). Since I never heared the original version of this song I added an alternative ending. (please don't kill me ;) ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e65qxsUVCDk

Last edited:
How do you do a CHUNK?

How do you do a chunk? I seem to get the chunk sound (fluke - I really don't know what I am doing, it just happens), but I cannot do a chunk using the strumming pattern that was shown?

There are a few techniques that Aldrine takes for granted that beginners all know.

A glossary with very short videos demonstrating the different techniques would be really useful.

Apart from that, I found the finger picking very easy to pick up. Thanks Aldrine!

Michaelphipps,

Hey that is a good idea.
Why don't you post your glossary idea in the site suggestion setion, and mabye it will happen.
You know I saw that someone posted a thing about UU having shirts.
I think that it was like 3 weeks or less ago, well n e wayz, now they have shirts.
If people want something enough, they can effect change.

Aloha
Acabo'oe:cool:

I learned to "chunk" by using the palm/thumb area to mute the strings while at the same time strumming using the index finger. This is done during the down motion strum. If it helps, try landing and resting as much of your right palm as you can on the strings while strumming with your finger.

If you can't find a video on how to do this online. I can make one if you want.

just out of curiosity... has anybody posted tabs for this song yet?? because i made some and i think they are correct, Aldrines version that he played for the lesson...

If not i bags them!! i need to help out somehow, i feel so useless on this board :(

just out of curiosity... has anybody posted tabs for this song yet?? because i made some and i think they are correct, Aldrines version that he played for the lesson...

If not i bags them!! i need to help out somehow, i feel so useless on this board :(

you made some tabs? post it up and we'll have a look at it and let you know if its right.

Strumming Pattern at the beginning. UU video.

A | -----5-2-0------------------------------------
E | -2/3---3---3-2-0----0-----------------------
C | -3/4---4-----2---2--1-----------------------
G | -------0-----2------2------------------------
............EM......D........A

Strumming Pattern. UU video.

G (extended)
A | -20----2------2-------------------------------------
E | -24----23-----2-------------------------------------
C | -24----2------2---2---------------------------------
G | -24----2-3----2---3----------------------------------
.....*E......^......*D.^AM

*Strumming Style… down, up, chunk
^Strumming Style… up, up, down, chunk
by the video it has:

Strumming pattern x2, Picking pattern x2, Strumming pattern x1.. (Aldrine starts to sing) strumming pattern x2 [end video]

thats what i got, watched it about 20 times and to the video it looks correct to me, just when i post the tab it might not be spaced properly etc...

if its correct enough, i can do one for love song..

thanks

Last edited:
just realised i didnt really tab it, just put 2 tab bits... so im sure thats 100% correct from the UU video, ill tab it properly later...

but im going to do the youtube one soon, my spaces etc are hard to understand... dunno why

but little busy now, will attempt later

Top Bottom