Looking to buy a banjolele

.......... Since prices are much cheaper in USA I plan to buy a banjolele there.......

mate - go to the Mainland site www.mainlandukes.com & email Mike - ask him if there are any dealers selling his ukes in the area you will be visiting!

or contact Mike from Ukulele Republic - he has an excellent reputation for setting up ukes correctly & he IS a dealer of Mainland Banjo Ukes.
http://ukerepublic.com/Merch.html

Personally, having played the Mainland maple soprano & also the Maple Mainland Concert Uke, I prefer the Mahogany Concert size Banjo Uke. It is 'chirpier' than the Maple Mainlands.

However, try them all if you can, as well as other brands, so that you can make an informed decision.

Roberta

Any uke that Jon jonbianchi is selling would be a good one, I reckon - but a lot of the older ones are heavier & can be uncomfortable to play

Last edited:
thanks a lot this is just the kind of suggestion I wanted!

.......... Since prices are much cheaper in USA I plan to buy a banjolele there.......

mate - go to the Mainland site www.mainlandukes.com & email Mike - ask him if there are any dealers selling his ukes in the area you will be visiting!

or contact Mike from Ukulele Republic - he has an excellent reputation for setting up ukes correctly & he IS a dealer of Mainland Banjo Ukes.

Personally, having played the Mainland maple soprano & also the Maple Mainland Concert Uke, I prefer the Mahogany Concert size Banjo Uke. It is 'chirpier' than the Maple Mainlands.

However, try them all if you can, as well as other brands, so that you can make an informed decision.

Roberta

ps would you happen to know the weight of the Mainland? I have emailed both Mikes per your kind recommendation. thanks

Roberta

Sorry, I'd have to go home to weigh it!! I am in Sydney for a week & didn't bring it with me - brought my husband's instead. It is WAY lighter than the Eddy Finn & the Goldtone that I have played.

Over the last 6 months, I have brought 12 of the Mainland Banjo Ukes into Australia, (including a Maple Soprano & Concert - the other 10 were Mahogany Concerts, giving you an idea of how popular the Mahogany ones are) for members of my local Ukulele Group & family & friends, all of whom were SO impressed with mine - and they all LOVE their Mainlands. They are VERY playable, nice & chirpy, loud & easy to play.

They are not heavy at all. The oldest of my 'Mainland Players' is an 85 year old who used to play Mandolins - and she loves it too!

Roberta

if you were anywhere near me, you could try it! (or in Darwin, where my brother has one too!! :) )

Keep in mind that Banjo Ukes don't suit ALL ukulele songs! It is a good idea to get a 'regular uke' as well - I brought in a Mainland Red Cedar Concert for a buddy, & it is a ripper!!!

Last edited:
The Eddy Finn line has a sale going on until the end of the month. I can put you in a nice banjo uke well below your maximum price. I do not conduct business on an open to everyone and their dog forum. If you would like to send me a personal notification, we can talk about what is available ,which will give you the maximum bang for the buck below your top dollar. I can sell for less than Minimum Advertised Price, but I cannot advertise it for less than MAP. If I do, I get cut off, and they will no longer sell to me. thecraftedcow@comcast.net

Thats very helpful. Ive already written to Mainland and Ukulele republic. I see good reviews on youtube too. And Ukeeku did a very good review. Im in Sydney/Vaucluse - sounds like you are out of town - thanks anyway for the offer. I found a page which says the Mainland weighs 2lbs (it being US). which seems less than most and a lot less than some which are 4-5lbs. Thanks again!

Sorry, I'd have to go home to weigh it!! I am in Sydney for a week & didn't bring it with me - brought my husband's instead. It is WAY lighter than the Eddy Finn & the Goldtone that I have played.

Over the last 6 months, I have brought 12 of the Mainland Banjo Ukes into Australia, (including a Maple Soprano & Concert - the other 10 were Mahogany Concerts, giving you an idea of how popular the Mahogany ones are) for members of my local Ukulele Group & family & friends, all of whom were SO impressed with mine - and they all LOVE their Mainlands. They are VERY playable, nice & chirpy, loud & easy to play.

They are not heavy at all. The oldest of my 'Mainland Players' is an 85 year old who used to play Mandolins - and she loves it too!

Roberta

if you were anywhere near me, you could try it! (or in Darwin, where my brother has one too!! :) )

Keep in mind that Banjo Ukes don't suit ALL ukulele songs! It is a good idea to get a 'regular uke' as well - I brought in a Mainland Red Cedar Concert for a buddy, & it is a ripper!!!

It is heavy - about 4 pounds, I think. If you're looking for a light vintage instrument - I can't recommend Stromberg Voisinets enough. Also, George Houghton and Sons ukes are, I think, very underrated. They have a great tone, and they're well-built but nice and light. They're quite rare here, though. Easier to get in the UK in the 200-250 pound range in VG-Excellent shape. Dallas C, D, and E are - just now - massively overpriced - so if you can get one here in the states you can go home and make a tidy profit!!

Eddy Finn is having a sale until the 31st of this month. for about $250 you can have a very nice concert scale unit. I am allowed to sell below Minimum Advertised Price, but I cannot advertise below it. They also drop ship for my out of state customers, so you do not pay postage twice. write me at thecraftedcow@comcast.net, or contact me privately on this site. I will show you pictures and tell you prices. I am going to buy a 1F for myself. The strings on them are horrid, but I will send you a new set of Aquila strings. You can decide if you want it high or low G. Before I change strings, I will change tunersto PEGHEDS. Closed gear tuners are nicer than open ones are better than friction tuners. {I can also write part of it off as advertising} www.PEGHEDS.net

Last edited:
Looks like the Mainland Mahogany Concert are sold out everywhere. Can get a maple one mail order... any thoughts or other sources?

Roberta

Top Bottom