Looking to buy a banjolele

I have a rover 5 string open back with synthetic pot. It is a beginner instrument, but I think the synthetic pot is kinda neat.

The fact that Rovers sound as good as they do for the money they cost is reason to recommend them as a good beginners banjo, but they don't make banjo ukes that I am aware of.

Eddie Finn and Morgan Monroe are decent new instruments. I've enjoyed playing Lanikai and even the big Gold Tone, though the smaller Gold Tone banjolele I played wasn't my cup of tea. I like the Firefly and really like the Mainland.

However, I'm with Ben and Dave, though - Vintage is what I prefer. Three reasons:

Value: A Slingerland Model 20 in great shape can be gotten for less than $175, and a model 24 in excellent condition can be gotten for less than $250. Stromberg-Voisinetts can be found ranging from $150 to $300 in excellent condition, price varying depending upon the model A Gibson UB1 or UB2 can be found on Ebay for $350-600. Compare those prices for Gibsons with comparable prices for new ukes that I don't think are near as good. I don't know why you wouldn't pick up a perfectly made 75 to 85 year-old Gibson for the same price you would pay for a new Lanikai. A new Bean Sprout is in the $1k to $1,500 range. An old Ludwig Wendell hall in excellent condition is in the same range. They're very different instruments, the bean sprout is a great piece of workmanship, but they are comparably priced, so you can afford even the best vintage instruments when you look at the prices for the best new instruments. And - Langes, Weymanns, and Stellas/Schmidts in good to very good condition ($50-$200) are much cheaper than the cheapest of new instruments.

Feel: New banjo ukes have a wider and thicker neck. This is fine - it's what ukulele players want and are used to. But, vintage BUs have narrower, often V-shaped neck. THere's a reason for this; the style of play in the 20s and 30s was faster with more jazz changes, and the tenor-banjo style neck allows that style of playing. This is how I like to play, and I find the feel of the new BU necks too much like a wooden ukulele neck to suit my style. It's a matter of personal preference.

Sound: well, this is highly subjective, as even individual examples of the same BU sound totally different. Let's just say that I prefer the vellum and goat skin heads to synthetic, and I enjoy adjusting tailpiece, nut, neck via coordinator rod and dowel, and bridge height to get the sound I want. The fact is, if you buy new, you are not getting an instrument that works out of the box. You're going to be getting into adjusting and modifying slightly eventually, and you'll see that you don't just buy a new BU and expect you're not going to tinker with it. You will eventually if you are at all sensitive to the sound you're making and want to make.

The person who wants a banjo uke that needs no adjustment reminds me of the joke the David Johannsen told once when he was on stage and strummed an old Martin 00-17 guitar at the top of his act to find that it had gone wildly sour. "I don't understand," he growled. "It was in tune when I bought it."

It might be set up when you buy it, but you will eventually change the set up.

WOW, Jon!! I had no idea the Slingerlands can go so cheaply!! They are a gorgeous looking banjoele & sound pretty good too!!!

Just last week, I tried out a couple of Eddie Finn Banjoeles from an Australian Importer - they both sounded terrific - one was the heavier one with resonator & the other more similar to the Mainland Banjo Uke!!

I have just bought 2 'tunable' tambourines & will get a Soprano neck & fret setup from Mike at Mainland & plan on making my own Open Back Banjo Uke from 'how to' docs I googled up! It will be interesting to see how it works out!! All part of the fun of having ukuleles, eh?

... "I don't understand," he growled. "It was in tune when I bought it."..... ha ha ha I like that!!

cheers

Roberta

WOW, Jon!! I had no idea the Slingerlands can go so cheaply!! They are a gorgeous looking banjoele & sound pretty good too!!!

They can, and the model 20 Maybell was often built and sold as something else. Look for SS Stewart Collegians, Concertones, and no-names that look just like the model 20. The fact is, they ARE the model 20, just without a label. To me, its worth paying less to get the same instrument without the Slingerland brand name on it. :)

Dave knows - what are some of the other Slingerland aliases, Dave?

I'm selling a Stromberg-Voisinet banjo ukulele with resonator if anyone's still interested.

Stupid question.....but are all 4 string banjo's banjolele's ? :confused:

And not just tenors, also banjolins (four-string soprano banjo) and banjolas (alto banjo). Notice these correspond in tuning to the Violin, Viola and Cello (tenor viol). There was even a rarity, the banjo bass - tuned the same as a bass viol.

And don't forget the plectrum banjo as well!

In the old days, they only made one size of banjo uke - soprano - though a few makers built a "longscale" banjo uke, which had 19-21+ frets. The modern concert, tenor and baritone banjo ukes are completely modern inventions, only in the last decade or so.

Here's my two cents:

I have a degree in music, and I'm pretty good at tinkering with instruments. For years I was a clarinet player and learned to overhaul my own instrument--which means taking it apart, putting new cork and pad on, etc.

But I bought a new rather than vintage banjo uke. Here's why: it's a completely foreign instrument to me. My reasoning was, get a new one, learn the ins and outs of it, and if you like it--go for the vintage.

I did the same with a regular uke. Moved from new instruments to owning vintage ones after I had some experience with the instrument.

That would be my suggestion. I bought a new Mainland concert banjo uke, and have had loads of fun with it. And I've had vintage banjo uke collectors (some on this very forum) tell me they are impressed by the build and sound.

But whether you buy new or vintage, buy one! They are fun!

I am in Australia but will be in USA or work at end of the month (Southern CA). Since prices are much cheaper in USA I plan to buy a banjolele there.
Budget is around $300-$400. It has to be light since I have a recurring neck problem. I am leaning towards an Eddy Finn or Mainland - the likes
of the GoldTone or Lanakai being too heavy - however pretty. Ideally I would try them in a shop before buying but I cant seem to find a decent store
in the area. Amazon.com would be an easy blind purchase route however. Can anyone recommend:

1. a particular model that meets my needs?
2. the biggest banjo uke store in or between LA and San Diego?

thanks a lot, Steve

building one?

Seen multiple posts on building one from a soprano kit's neck and a tambourine/hand drum. Any experience?
How weird would a 12 fret soprano look with a 10inch body?

Seen multiple posts on building one from a soprano kit's neck and a tambourine/hand drum. Any experience?
How weird would a 12 fret soprano look with a 10inch body?

Is it really worth the effort when someone is (was?) selling one used for $100?
Even if you already have a neck, you need to buy a tambourine, strings, bridge, and tailpiece....
....and it might end-up sounding like crap after all the effort.

I'm selling a Ludwig Wendell Hall over on eBay right now - auction ends next Sunday.

If you're interested, there's a listing over on the marketplace.

Hi Paul.
Rationally, I could not agree more, but the same goes for my cooking skills and while the McD dollar menu is impossible to compete with on the price/taste ratio I find myself homecooking all the time.
Is it really worth the effort when someone is (was?) selling one used for $100?
Even if you already have a neck, you need to buy a tambourine, strings, bridge, and tailpiece....
....and it might end-up sounding like crap after all the effort.

Top Bottom