Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What strings are you using on your Ohana CK-35?

Default What strings are you using on your Ohana CK-35?

The more and more I play this uke the more and more I like it, and was wondering what strings others are using on their Ohana CK-35. It came with Aquilas, which I didn't like very much. They sounded nice for fingerpicking, but seemed to lose their balance when strummed hard, sounded unbalanced to me and don't like how they feel under my fingers. I currently have Worth Brown mediums on their and these string have an amazing feel to them. Obviously a bit more subdued than the Aquilas and not as loud, but they have nice separation and balance, and stay together better than the Aquilas when strummed. They are a bit quiet, but then again this may just be the characteristic of the instrument being mahogany an all and I think the Wroth Browns definitely compliment the CK-35 better than the Aquilas. Tried a set of Martin M600 on another concert i have but prefer the higher string tension of the Worths. The tension of the Martins were too loose and had rubbery feel. I also have a few sets of Ko'olau Mahanas that I mat try, but these strings are just really thick strings and I am really digging the feel of the Worths but was just wondering what others have ended up using.

Thanks to all in advance for replying and offering their advice!

I don't have a CK-35, but I like Worth Clear Mediums on my Kamaka Concert. The clears are a little brighter, "forward sounding" according to their literature, than the browns. If you like higher tension and prefer more volume, try Worth CD; these are a harder tension string. I haven't used them on a Concert, but I have on sopranos. They are louder, sustain longer, etc., but the tension felt too hard for me after an hour or so of playing.

Quote Originally Posted by hmgberg View Post
    I don't have a CK-35, but I like Worth Clear Mediums on my Kamaka Concert. The clears are a little brighter, "forward sounding" according to their literature, than the browns. If you like higher tension and prefer more volume, try Worth CD; these are a harder tension string. I haven't used them on a Concert, but I have on sopranos. They are louder, sustain longer, etc., but the tension felt too hard for me after an hour or so of playing.
    I have Worth Clears on my Ko'aloha concert and they sound amazing. Was thinking about trying them out on the Ohana as well.

I know, I just responded to your other pots!! :-))

Thread resurrection.

(For reference I also tried to resurrect another one with overlapping content but with little success: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...hogany-Concert)

I too now have an Ohana CK35gs and jolly snazzy this all solid wood Concert Uke looks too, it also sounds quite a bit better and plays easier since I replaced the strings and set-up the Uke. I suspect that my Ohana had been run as was since it left the factory.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 08-04-2020 at 08:57 AM.

I've got the CK35L version, strung with Living Water concert low G fluorocarbon, (as are most of my ukes).

Its good for picking melodies or strumming, has a nice tone, not too loud in my experience, but certainly loud enough for me.

(I also have Ohana SK30M & SK30L amongst my collection.)
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

My TK-35 sounds great with clear fluorocarbon. Living Waters by Ken Middleton go with the Ohana nicely.
    Keep Strummin'

My thanks to Keith and Sailing Uke for their replies.

With regard to a Living Waters (solid or unwound) low G I’m wondering about how much the intonation will be upset with use with a straight saddle (my ck35’s saddle is only 2mm wide some compensation there isn’t an option). My guess is that the low G will give me a broader sound from the Uke (a bit more bass) but I wonder how the move away from re-entrant will effect strumming response, etc.?

Thinking about low G reminds me that going to a non wound low G requires me to recut the nut, a permanent change. Maybe a move to a wound Fremont with the three remaining M600’s first might make sense? What do the smart people do?

It would be interesting to hear about why Living Waters work for you two (sound character, feel or what?) and what strings you have tried and set aside on the route towards Living Waters strings. As I understand it Worth Clears are the same gauge sizes as Living Waters and perhaps others are virtually the same too, what are the differences?
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 07-31-2020 at 01:03 AM.

I've had the usual Aquila that come pre fitted, Reds, 600s, Worth browns (came on a uke), & maybe others I've forgotten about.

LW just suit me best, easy on the fingers, & gives me a sound that I like.

My ukes are generally mellow sounding, mahogany/cedar, plus acacia/spruce which are a little bit brighter, to my ears, but still fairly mellow with LW strings.

We each choose strings for what suit us best, or for a given sound, we are all different.

P.S. I never altered any of my nuts when changing strings, never felt a need to.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

There is more to strings than gauges. Density is also a factor. LW's by Ken Middleton feel smoother to me than other flouros I have tried.
    Ken uses a very high quality flour-carbon. I have not played Worth clears in many years, although I like the browns on some Ukes. The tk-35 mahogany would probably sound muted with browns so a brighter flouro is probably be a better choice. Try a set of LW's.
    Keep Strummin'

Thread Information