Bonding with a 6-String??

artcrocker

Reaction score
Bloomfield, Michigan & Melbourne, Florida
Just bought a new Mele 6-String and I love it sometimes and sometimes am not sure. I think it has an interestingly more musical sound but then it takes some getting used to since it makes all your songs sound a bit different. Wondered how othe "6-stringers" adjust to it? Is it best suited to certain music?

I recently removed the High C string and use it as a 5-string and find that kind of cool. Also wondered if putting on a double low C would be kind of fun?

Will appreciate any comments on using a Six-String,,,,

Congrats on your new Mele!!! I almost bought one but bought a Kanile'a instead. Yes, the sound is different, but I was looking for a slightly different sound and I really love it. The 6 string takes a bit to get used to it but it sounds great!! Mine has the two C strings, an octave apart, and two A strings also an octave apart and in addition one of the A strings is a wound string.

Some weeks ago I bought a 6-string Lanikai just to try another way to play and to be honest I love it as I hate it. The problem is that fingerpicking with gcCeaA tuning is really difficoult and doesn't sound good, but the good thing is that strumming patterns are stronger. Actually i use double low C and double high A to solve the problem of the fingerpicking.

Just have fun with it!
I generally use the six string if I am just strumming. If I am playing a cover tune that is normally done on an acoustic guitar (or 12-string, or mandolin) I might use the six-string to get a fuller sound. Rod Stewart's Maggie May for example...

I also play a lot of traditional Hawaiian music and some songs just beg for that sound.

If you have a low A, sometimes that can drone and mess up your sound, the key is to have enough changes that change the tone of that string and break up the drone.

Just keep experimenting!

As another option, you can try a low g and unison the A. This will give you a warmer tone. I like the mellowness of the 6 and it does give songs a different sound.

I love my 6 string. Yep, gives out a different sound on songs!

I have the same problem with the picking, which I like to do. Good suggestion on the double c, Mele already uses a double A. I may try your arrangement. I do also have a Love / hate feeling sometime on the Cc combo.

OK, I appreciate the support group on this. Turns out that Mele setup is low G with double A, and yes it is a very mellow sound as you mentioned, so I am starting to appreciate that. Guess I will keep the A double and not split the octive.

Aloha Art,
I have had 6 strings for a long time....when you get yours, it takes time to learn about it, ahem the learning curb starts all over and you need to get comfortable with it....everyone assumes
you play a 4 strings and you can pick it up naturally and jam with it..well some gifted ones can..but most of us have to feel it out and learn how it functions...takes time and patience and practice..
keep at it and you will perservere.... play with the tunings too...I myself drop tune mine with a slack key A....and lower octave G... figure what works for you...as previously said, the unison A's
is a sweeter tone...Good Luck yes it is for more rhythm playing and backups....you can pick on it and I do with mine, but it take time and practice.. only thing same is tuning it by ear..learn
to work on your style to manipulate the sound...

Yup, the 6 string sounds different. Mine is a tenor -- but it still kinda sounds like a concert. Very bright sound. On island songs it sounds great.

Does anybody NOT double the A's?

Top Bottom