Kamaka Tenor HF-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTurner

Reaction score
Kamaka Tenor HF-3--Sale Pending

I purchased this Kamaka recently. After hearing so many positive things about the Kamakas I knew I wanted to try one. But somehow I'm not in love with this uke, it just doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather let it go to someone who will really like it. It is in excellent condition except for an extremely faint inch-long scratch in the surface just above the bridge. It's so faint that only by holding it at just the right angle can you even see it. It has the quality of a very thin hair lying on the surface and in no way alters the beauty of this instrument. Otherwise, as I say, this tenor is in terrific shape with a lovely koa look.

I have put low G Worths on it and like the sound. The action is very nice and there are no intonation issues.

I'l be glad to answer any questions you might have. Oh, yes, the hard case comes with it, I am pretty sure it is the case Kamaka sells. The case is in excellent shape and fits this tenor uke like a glove.

I'm asking $850 plus shipping & insurance. PM me.

P1010158.jpgP1010154.jpgP1010166.jpgP1010156.jpgP1010167.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck with the sale. Beautiful Kamaka! What did you not like about it?

The sound was just not quite right for me and I was looking for something that settled in my lap in a different way. Not a thing wrong with what Kamaka does, it's just not for me.

The sound was just not quite right for me and I was looking for something that settled in my lap in a different way. Not a thing wrong with what Kamaka does, it's just not for me.

Gotcha. Yeah - you gotta love how a uke sounds for you. It is all personal preference. Sorry to sidetrack the thread. Again - good luck with the sale. Someone is gonna have a great uke at a great price.

Wondering if you'd consider a Koaloha Tenor uke trade?

That's some beautiful grain on that ukulele! I'm sure it will sell quickly. Just out of curiosity, what's the serial number?

Notice: I have a buyer and we are finalizing details.

Thanks all for the interest.

PS--Mds725: the serial number is 043345.

Notice: I have a buyer and we are finalizing details.

Thanks all for the interest.

Wow, this Kamaka is made in the year...?
I will receive a Kamaka Tenor HF-3 made in april, 2008, and the serial number is 080847.

Thanks! I've become something of a Kamaka serial number junkie. I just bought a 2005 Kamaka tenor from Gryphon Stringed Instruments ("new (used) uke" thread pending) and I enjoy guessing when during the year a Kamaka uke was made. I'm glad someone grabbed up your Kamaka. It looks great.

Wow, this Kamaka is made in the year...?
I will receive a Kamaka Tenor HF-3 made in april, 2008, and the serial number is 080847.

Your Kamaka was the 847th ukulele (0847) made by Kamaka in the year 2008 (08). Congratulations!

Last edited:
Welcome to the Kamaka klub!

Thanks! I've become something of a Kamaka serial number junkie. I just bought a 2005 Kamaka tenor from Gryphon Stringed Instruments ("new (used) uke" thread pending) and I enjoy guessing when during the year a Kamaka uke was made. I'm glad someone grabbed up your Kamaka. It looks great.

Your Kamaka was the 847th ukulele (0847) made by Kamaka in the year 2008 (08). Congratulations!

What does 043345 mean? (I'm the buyer, so I'm curious) 3345th in 2004?

the first two digits are the year "04" stands for 2004. the remaining four numbers are the number of the uke built in order in that year. so this uke was built in 2004 and was the 3,345 uke made in that year. there is also a date stamp on the fret board block on the inside showing the exact date it was assembled.

Very interesting! my tenor was made on April 1, 2008, and the number is 847, then made ​​an average of Kamaka ukuleles 282 per month from January, February and March in 2008. At this rate, his 3345 Kamaka number was made in the month of December marked the year 2004!
282 ukes per month is an average of 70 ukes per week, and removing Saturdays and Sundays, gives an average of 14 ukuleles finalized by day of week!

We found the average manufacturing of Kamaka ukuleles, hehehe!

Last edited:
Congrats and welcome to the Kamaka Klub!!!!

Very interesting! my tenor was made on April 1, 2008, and the number is 847, then made ​​an average of Kamaka ukuleles 282 per month from January, February and March in 2008. At this rate, his 3345 Kamaka number was made in the month of December marked the year 2004!
282 ukes per month is an average of 70 ukes per week, and removing Saturdays and Sundays, gives an average of 14 ukuleles finalized by day of week!

We found the average manufacturing of Kamaka ukuleles, hehehe!

You can calculate the average, but it may not reflect the actual pace at any given moment. When I was on the Kamaka tour this past April, Fred Kamaka said they were a bit behind schedule because it had been a wet spring and the koa was taking longer to dry. But you can definitely estimate when during the year a Kamaka ukulele was made by looking at the last four digits of the serial number.

As Ronnie mentioned, in addition to placing the serial number on the label, Kamaka stamps the date on which the ukulele body is assembled (the last day that a craftsperson has that sort of access to the interior of the body) on the fret board block. Kamaka also places a red serial number plate there.

attachment.php

Here's one of the photos I took on my tour.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I just acquired an HF-3 dated 06-14-11... lovely ukulele. Great tone on this tenor. I think a keeper.

I'm quite sure the transactions have been completed, therefore this thread is now closed. To the OP, if it has not, please notify me via PM. If the discussion about SN's and production dates needs to be continued, please do so in another thread. Much Mahalos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom