Anyone use Worth ukulele strings?

I haven't gotten a chance to try out the Worth strings, but I have to add my 2 cents on what string I do like. I use Savarez Alliance strings. They are made for classical guitar, so you have to buy singles to make a set. I found they brighten up the sound, last long, are smooth to play, and resonate well. David Hurd of Ukuleles by Kawika sold his cutom ukes with these strings. I have tried other strings and always go back to the Savarez strings. Here's a link form Kawika's site on what strings he uses and an analysis of those strings.

http://www.ukuleles.com/SetupnCare/TenorTune.html

I haven't gotten a chance to try out the Worth strings, but I have to add my 2 cents on what string I do like. I use Savarez Alliance strings. They are made for classical guitar, so you have to buy singles to make a set. I found they brighten up the sound, last long, are smooth to play, and resonate well. David Hurd of Ukuleles by Kawika sold his cutom ukes with these strings. I have tried other strings and always go back to the Savarez strings. Here's a link form Kawika's site on what strings he uses and an analysis of those strings.

http://www.ukuleles.com/SetupnCare/TenorTune.html

You haven't had any trouble with them putting too much pressure on the neck or anything? (I'd just assumed one would, if one used the wrong strings... never really thought too much on it though...)

here is a comparison that some french dude did between the ko'olau strings and worth BE's on the same model ukulele.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9F9YelMoSg

if i remember correctly from french classes in junior high... it says...

"string comparison ko'olau and worth BE mounted on two identical ukuleles, the Pono PSO"

the difference is worlds.

Ya, i neva tink dat would have so much difference between strings! i use koolau golds - all nylon, hi g on my pono ptc. da golds is pretty mellow on my uke. BUT, if da worths sound anyting like on da video, ho, would probably sound real dead on my tenor eh?

tanks fo da link ... i was hoping somebody would do dat kine comparisons fo us! shootz!

You haven't had any trouble with them putting too much pressure on the neck or anything? (I'd just assumed one would, if one used the wrong strings... never really thought too much on it though...)

I have not had any problems with the Savarez strings putting too much pressure on the ukes I owned. I used them on Kamakas, Flukes, Kawikas, Koaloha, and Kelii ukuleles. I would assume if you didn't follow David Hurd's suggestions and used all "high" tension strings, you could be overloading the uke. If you read Davids analysis on the strings he mentions that the strings may not be a blanket recommendation for all ukes, but work well on his ukes. David's ukes have a graphite rod embeded in the neck so I'm not too worried about it bowing if the right strings are used and the uke tuned correctly.

I guess one could assume putting more pressure on an uke that is not designed with adequate bracing could lead to damage. 6 and 8 string ukes have quite a bit more tension, therefore when being built, it should have more bracing compared to a 4 string.

I just put a set of clears on my new concert and I like them. I was having a real intonation problem and a friend suggested trying them, and it worked (the E string is still a problem, though).

They are very bright and loud. They also settled very quickly. Definitely "worth" the price.

Another two thumbs up for Worth strings. I have em on my Flea (medium clear) and they sound awesome. I also have a set on my mahogany soprano. The Clears are a lil too bright on that uke (but the Worth Browns should sound better).

I've heard some pretty sweet stuff about worth strings, im thinking of getting a pair.. due to the fact that im stuck on standard stings haha :D

I think about it... what different does the strings make???

I been playing tennis for 10 years now and strings on a tennis racket make the biggest difference haha!

So its like a 50/50 thing.. If i can get strings around $20 somewhere ill go out and buy some... but i would have to get them over the net. plus i can't have ebay and mi dad don't trust internet hahah

Anybody know a site where you can buy worth stings that are good over the net??

"Anybody know a site where you can buy worth stings that are good over the net??"

Ebay - try MusicGuyMic

I've been thinking about getting a set of Worths for my tenor.
The tenor in question is one of those Vietnamese ones with nice inlay and all that but shoddy construction and sound quality. I put some Aquila Nylguts on them but still not very satisfied...maybe Worths might be the difference. It's hard to judge when I haven't really heard the clears vs. browns.
Right now the tone of the tenor is soft without much low end.
I'm trying to get it some more volume and have a richer low end response. Any suggestions?

i have a 6 string g string tenor, should i be fairly confident that it will hold up the the tension of classical guitar strings? thx

I've heard some pretty sweet stuff about worth strings, im thinking of getting a pair.. due to the fact that im stuck on standard stings haha :D

I think about it... what different does the strings make???

I been playing tennis for 10 years now and strings on a tennis racket make the biggest difference haha!

So its like a 50/50 thing.. If i can get strings around $20 somewhere ill go out and buy some... but i would have to get them over the net. plus i can't have ebay and mi dad don't trust internet hahah

Anybody know a site where you can buy worth stings that are good over the net??

You r in sydney rite? Try Ellis Guitar online shop. They are located in Perth. Reasonable price.

I just ordered some non-wound browns and clears along with some other different string types for my baritone. I plan on playing through them and recording the same songs on the same uke so that I can find out which ones I like and go back to hear them again before trying to buy in bulk.

I'll make a compendium video when I'm done experimenting!

I just bought a set of brown Worth flourocarbons for my Kamaka Concert from Sam at Larry's music in Kapa'a, and I love them. Big sweet sound.
Yes, he said there's two sets in there, you just cut them in half. A real deal.

Worth Strings

I'm a big fan of Worth strings. The tenor strings will string three soprano ukuleles if cut right. They can make an in expensive uke sound really great.
I have recently fitted a Stagg US40 S Ukulele with an Aquilla E string tuned to A
two Worth strings for E and C and a cut down D string from a Guitar tuned to low G. All these strings were left overs from other sets.
The result is really good with nice clear sound and an easy string action.

Just remember, buying a set of those double-length (yes they are that long) Worth strings is actually a trap that obliges you to purchase another uke at the spot so your leftover stringz don't go to waste. So 14.95 actually works out to be a lot more, depending on whether you go for a Mahalo or a Hawaiian brand with a K.

Lots of strings attached to this one (yes, gimme some negative reps, I dare you ;) )

I have a lanikai curly koa concert ukelele.I bought it 3 years ago at the ukulele house in waikiki,I have no idea what kind of strings are on it .Can anybody clue me in? Mahalo

mine came with Aquillas. CK-TEQ.

i replaced my stock ko'olau golds on my Pono Tenor for Worths with a Lower G string and i have to say my uke sounds better. Its not quite as loud since the strings are thinner and the G and C strings are not made out of metal but it feels a lot nicer to play now

Top Bottom