Song Help Request Atheists Don't Have No Songs

http://danreeder.bandcamp.com/track/maybe

Dan Reeder has an interesting take on what happens after you die. This may not fit directly into the Atheist category, but it's close.
Odd song. I like his message - when they're gone they're gone - but the structure is different. It seems to me that song changes rhythm in the chorus and speeds up. Have to listen to it a few more times before I'm comfortable with it. And it's fairly long. But I like the idea. Maybe it will inspire me to try my own hand at writing something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBaSTozYLdI

Here's anther by DR, with a YT video to go along. This one is about all the things [we] are told when growing up. His solution as an older man is to drink beer. DR is an interesting German fellow. His music is multi tracks of himself singing harmonies and playing instruments to accompany himself, often with homemade instruments. That's a bit of an Atheistic process unto itself.

...His solution as an older man is to drink beer.
Godless alcoholics. I think it would be a great name for a group....
Myself, I prefer tequila or red wine to help find the answers to those pressing cosmological questions like "Why are we here?", "What is life about?", "What happens when we die?" and "Why is the floor rushing up to meet my face?"

But beer will work in a pinch.

LOL. Just came across The Heathens, with lead singer Jim Underdown.
They take known songs and make their own lyrics. It's pretty smartly written IMHO.

Go to YouTube and enter 'Jim Underdown the heathens' for a taste.

nothing to see here. Move along.

LOL. Just came across The Heathens, with lead singer Jim Underdown.
They take known songs and make their own lyrics. It's pretty smartly written IMHO.

I haven't got to check out The Heathens yet, sounds interesting, but that description reminds me of the band ApologetiX. They take popular songs and lazily add christian lyrics, but I'm pretty sure they're being ironic. If not, then they're just unintentionally hilarious.

Here's an example ApologetiX - Baa! We're Lambs (parody of Barbara Ann by the Beach Boys)

Another: ApologetiX - More Than a Healing

... the band ApologetiX. They take popular songs and lazily add christian lyrics, but I'm pretty sure they're being ironic. If not, then they're just unintentionally hilarious.
I checked out a few of their songs and got the uncomfortable feeling that they're actually serious. Someone actually took the Lambs song and wrote out the lyrics so you can see it's not a parody: www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFOpO0IpcHw. To my ears, they're pretty cheesey lyrics, but that's just my taste. That, however, gave me the idea of looking for religious parody songs, but I haven't found any (yet) that are easily uke-able. A lot of take-offs on rap and modern Gaga-ish pap pop, but not too many that fit my sense of what is playable music.

There are a few groups calling themselves Heathens, but the best I found was The Band of Heathens. If that's who you mean, they're great. Can't find any atheist songs in their videos, however. But great acoustic sound.

Still looking, but found a few that might work: Godless and Free: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wubIeiLs0qM which apparently comes from a book called Blasphemy! Anthems for Atheists (have to order one - Amazon has them in stock). And this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-EsNX3MVyI&feature=fvsr. Also there's a band called Bad Religion with quite a few songs on YouTube, but they're geneall head-banger tunes that don't translate well to a uke.

Me. I'd prefer something lighter, a bit funnier, not an angry screed or a philosphical tract.

I'd prefer something lighter, a bit funnier, not an angry screed or a philosphical tract.
Here's one with which even conscientious believers have to agree, through gritted teeth. Caution: Contains F-bombs.

Ronny Elliott's "When You Die, You're Dead, That's All" probably qualifies as an angry screed, but may be of some interest anyway. I haven't been able to find a complete upload, but Amazon offers a brief sample.

Just came across this brilliant song, on uke, a love serenade to Stephen Fry.
Literally brought tears to my eyes for sheer beauty, honesty and lyrical grace.

Top Bottom