First change of string on Fluke

iamfroogle

Reaction score
Hi UU, I'm thinking about changing strings on my Fluke for the first time.

I did some research and it seems like the two most popular choice are aquila and worth. I also came across a type of string call wound strings which are supposed to be louder, correct? If not, could someone explain to me a little more in depth about them. I like the aquila but if theres something different or better, I wouldn't mind switching - I'm also aware that the plastic construction of the Fluke might make it more picky when it comes to strings, so any help would be appreciated. Oh and I use the normal high g tuning!

Thanks!

Hi iamfroogle

If you have the plastic fretboard, then stay away from wound strings. A wound string might have a longer sustain, but it might not sound balanced with the non-wound strings.

I have liked my Aquilas on my concert neck Flea. I haven't tried any other strings on it yet, but I think Worth clears would possibly be good for fingerpicking, a maybe a bit mellower. I think the Aquilas tend to be brighter than Worths and especially good for strumming.

–Lori

I like Aquilas on my tenor Fluke and concert Surf Flea. I've tried other strings on the Fluke, but always return to Aquilas. Don't like Aquilas on my other ukes. I use Worth browns (low and high g), Worth clears and Martin 600s.

Hi iamfroogle

If you have the plastic fretboard, then stay away from wound strings. A wound string might have a longer sustain, but it might not sound balanced with the non-wound strings.

I have liked my Aquilas on my concert neck Flea. I haven't tried any other strings on it yet, but I think Worth clears would possibly be good for fingerpicking, a maybe a bit mellower. I think the Aquilas tend to be brighter than Worths and especially good for strumming.

–Lori

I do have the plastic fretboard Fluke but the long sustain is actually really tempting... has anyone tried wound strings on the Fluke?
Also where can I find wound ukulele string? Are they the same as Guadalupe's Fiber-core strings?
thanks

Not too sure how those wound strings are gonna affect your plastic frets!!! I would think that they might wear the frets and then alter the frets and change the pitch of what you are playing. IMO..I would stick with the aquila strings.

You can send your uke in to Magic Fluke company and upgrade to a rosewood fingerboard for a fee. I would expect heavy wear on the plastic fretboard with the wound strings. Even on rosewood fretboards you will see wear on the wood after a lot of playing.
You have to read the specs on your strings carefully to get wound ones. Kala Reds http://www.kalaukulele.com/Kala_Red_Strings.asp show both aluminum wound and nylon wound strings. Be aware that wound strings may "squeak" as your fingerprint grooves slide over the string surface as you move up and down the fretboard. This squeak is common to guitar players, so people are used to it. It bothers some people though.

–Lori

If you want to have low-g on your plastic fretboard fluke, Worth makes non-wound ones.

I Worths than Aquilas, because of how they feel when I touch them. In my case, I find them easier to strum/pluck compared to Aquilas. But maybe that's just me.

Top Bottom