New strings tone?

t3ddigraham

Reaction score
What is the regular tuning for strings? I see low G, High G, and C, and I'm just wondering which one is the norm? Thanks!

It depends.

The "standard" ukulele tuning today (for soprano, concert, and tenor ukuleles) is C tuning, in which the strings are tuned G C E A. I think it's called "C tuning" because the C is the lowest note (if you're using a high-g tuning).

Historically, though, some players preferred their ukes tuned a whole step higher. That's "D tuning," and the notes go A D F# B. I've never tried it, but it's supposed to sound brighter than C tuning.

With either of those, you can have what's called "re-entrant" tuning, where the G (or, for D tuning, the A) string is higher in pitch than the C (or, for D tuning, the D) string. That tuning is (I think) widely considered to be more traditional. However, lots of players tune the G (or A) string to the pitch lower than the C (or D) string. That's the kind of tuning you see in most string instruments (guitars, violins, basses, etc.) where the strings go from lower-pitched to higher-pitched. On a ukulele, it gives the player a bit more range and a wider tonal palette, but you lose the distinctive sound of re-entrant tuning when you play chords.

On a baritone uke, the most common tuning is D G B E, which is exactly like the standard tuning for a guitar's top four strings. It's unusual to find a baritone uke with a high D string.

Top Bottom