Jake Shimabbkuro mute pluck thing....

Sketch lagit

Reaction score
In jake's song Bohemian Rhapsody he does this weird thing with his right hand pointer finger right after he plucks a string making this cool muted muffle sound (more muffled cause the note actually rings out)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snPQ1z5FoqQ
at 1:09 is when he first does it.

What i want to know is if this technique has a name and if not then does anyone know how to do it? ive attempted and what it looks like he's doing but it just stops the whole vibration of the string... yes i know it takes many years of practice but i would still love to know

thanks!

That is a natural harmonic on the e string and he played it with his right pointer finger above the 12th fret and and right thumb plucking the string (left hand doesn't fret anything on the e string). There are many videos on youtube as well as posts here that go more in-depth on natural harmonics (as well as other harmonics) if you're interested. This technique is hard but not impossible; it took me months to learn this, and I still can't get the sound 100% of the time x)

actually in his performance he even messes up, so i'm guessing it's a pretty advanced technique but thanks both of you haha it make soo much more sence

It's an artificial harmonic. Just like an open string harmonic but you move it around by keeping the picked harmonic at the middle point on the string no matter where you fret. Not hard in theory really, but it takes some practice. I think Aldy guys did a video lesson on them.

Top Bottom