Can't decide between Ohana TK-10, Kala KA-T, Lanikai Spruce Top Tenor

outdoorsman14

Reaction score
So, still a relative noobie at the uke, but currently playing a Leolani Soprano and thinking of getting a tenor to play with as well. I am leaning towards the Ohana, because I thought it sounded great. I can't seem to find any reviews online for them though. The Kala appears to be the go-to for any beginner and the Lanikai is in my price range and seems to be a decent price for a solid top. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry forgot to mention that I am looking in the $125-$175 range!

Thanks in advance

Aloha outdoorsman14,
They are all good ukes, I'd like to add the Vineyard Zebrawood Tenor. I received one for Valentines Day from my Fiance and I must say that it's the most comfortable uke I have among the 11 that I possess, some at a higher price point. It also sounds as good as my more upscaled models, just not as loud.
Good luck in your quest................................BO........................

ohana tk-10 should have a mellow sound since its made of mahogany and the spruce top has a bright sound. if i recall correctly then the spruce top is a solid spruce top so if you wanna get that then get a humidifier or a pill bottle with 2 holes and a damp sponge that wont leak :3

Thank you for the advice, unfortunately nobody around my area (Portland, OR) carries Vineyard and I would like to try it out before I buy it.

ohana tk-10 should have a mellow sound since its made of mahogany and the spruce top has a bright sound. if i recall correctly then the spruce top is a solid spruce top so if you wanna get that then get a humidifier or a pill bottle with 2 holes and a damp sponge that wont leak :3

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. That just might have narrowed by search by one...

It depends on what you're looking for. Are you looking for a more forward, bright punchy sound? Then go for the spruce top. If you're looking for a mellow chilled out sound, go with the mahogany. I would recommend always getting at least a solid top instrument, though.

Sorry, but the Ohana TK-10 is all mahogany. There is no spruce used at all. Consequently it will be very stable in pretty much any atmospheric conditions.

Sorry, but the Ohana TK-10 is all mahogany. There is no spruce used at all. Consequently it will be very stable in pretty much any atmospheric conditions.

I think what he was referring to was the Lanikai Spruce top vs. the mahogany laminate TK-10. Thank you for the input, I appreciate it. I think I am going to try them out again this weekend and see which one sounds the best to me. I saw in your quotes below your response something about ohana? I assume that is referring to the ukulele and not the actual meaning of the word, "family"? Are you an Ohana dealer?

This appears to be one of those instances where the absence of a comma changes the meaning of a sentence. I think the sentence should read: "Ohana tk-10 should have a mellow sound since it's made of mahogany, and the spruce top has a bright sound." The reference to the spruce top is, I believe, to the Lanikai the OP mentioned in in the opening post, and may not have been intended to suggest that the Ohana TK-10 has a spruce top. I try not to be a hard*ss about grammar and punctuation when it doesn't affect the meaning of a sentence, but when the absence of a comma leads to confusion, I find that it sometimes adds clarity to point out such an omission. :) Ken's point remains valid, though -- the Ohana TK-10 has an all-mahogany body and is stable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom