Steel String Les Paul Uke build...

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
Along with my Aphid project, I am split between two separate builds, two separate, non-related monsters. Today I dedicated some time on the Les Paul build. I was showing off the headstock work in Uke Talk, but it is about to become more a build related thread, so I wanted to bring it further in here before the mods move it here due to the content.

Today, I spend some time working out a bridge for the LP uke. I took a Nashville style bridge and converted it to a wrap around. Not finished with it totally, but it looks like it will work out. This will give me adjustable saddles for intonation tweaking, as well as some height adjustment for action.

I also started laying out the electronics positions. I am putting in 2 sets of tone & volume pots to split the two P-90 type mini pups. There will also be a 3 pos selector switch. Basically, it will work just like the big boy Les Paul. This body is from an Epiphone PeeWee, so excuse it's current routing. All that is changing.

P1050087.JPGP1050089.JPG

And the new control cavity, and pots. The piece of scrap ply they are mounted to, are simply for a template for me to wire them so they will fit correctly in the cavity. I will pre-wire them before installation for easy of that work. It also represents the quilt maple top that will be on this body.
P1050090.jpgP1050096.jpgP1050097.JPG

P1050099.JPG

Then here are the headstock finish and logo inlay.

headstocklogo2.jpgheadstocklogo3.jpgheadstocklogo4.jpgP1040848.JPG

Finished today's projects with wiring the controls for the Les Paul Uke. I am trying a 22uf cap for the trebble pup, and a 47uf cap for the rythem pup.
P1050110.jpg

And a "kinda" related picture. Me and my baby working in the shop today. This is my life right here. This little gal is an awesome guitarist at age 14. Been playing for about half her life already, and took the torch I passed her several years ago. I can't play any longer due to a disability, but I still do play through my little girl. I taught her everything she knows, and she is quickly passing her old man in his once abilities. But anyway, the past couple years, she has been taking the inner workings of guitars seriously, and works as a guitar tech (un-officially at her age) at a local music shop. She aspires to be a real bonifide Luthier some day. I plan to send her to a Luthier school in a couple years I think. But, she helps me in the shop with my hacking, and enjoys working with the tools too. I'm proud of my baby...

08062011a.jpg

I am headed out to the table saw today. This is the piece of 8% kiln dried quilted maple I will use for the top of the Les Paul uke. I need to slit and bookmatch it. It will be finished in cherry clear nitro and match the headstock. Wish me luck, because I do not want to ruin this beautiful piece of wood..

P1050216.JPG

If you haven't glued the top wood on, and you want to plug the holes to the bridge, I could make you one of these out of rosewood. It beats having those two extra string holes on the outside and it fits the scale a little bit better. I also have a couple with stop tailpieces in brass, but they're not cheap which is why I went to the wood ones.

Attachments

• 100_2308.jpg
    100_2308.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 100_2159.jpg
    100_2159.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 73
I like that set up on the 2nd one. You made that? PM me, I would be interested in either plans, or cost to make a bridge and tailpiece like that.

Thanks, those look nice..

Well, the maple split and bookmatch went pretty well. Here is the plank made for the Les Paul uke top. I wish the "quilt" would show better, but as you guys probably already know, the quilt doesn't really show up well until the finish is applied. But, it is going to be nice. I will now inlay a strip of rosewood down the center to match the headstock. Then cut, and get ready to put onto the body, and final shaped.

P1050221.jpg

You can at least see how the grain pattern will fall out on the top. Wish the 3D quilt figuring would show up better, but it will once I get to the point to shoot some nitro on it. But at least you can see the grain. Tomorrow I think I'll go ahead and inlay the rosewood strip down the center.
P1050223.jpg

I kinda agree with you. But, I had to put the rosewood ribbon on the headstock because the quilt veneer I had for that wasn't big enough to cover it totally, so I split it into two haves, and put the stripe in there. Kinda liked it, but I agree with you as far as my personal tastes. I was just going to put the rosewood ribbon on the body too to carry that "look" through the length of the uke. I think at this point, it might look odd, with matching headstock, but not the stripe to match it. This being a "proof of concept" for me on this type of steel string build, I don't mind trying odd stuff on it to see how I like it. But, my next one, most likely won't have center ribbon. But, Les Pauls are heavy solid guitars, but are also known for two piece tops that are book matched on their premium models. So, this touches that look, but also has it's own. Thats how I am justifying it, lol..

Howdy Tudorp,
Project is looking good.
Did you have any luck finding plans for a LP scaled down for a uke. I have full sized plans. My son was feeling left out after I built ukes for everyone so I am venturing into the guitar world but I thought "what a cool uke" this would make so I am entertaining the idea of doing a concert or tenor scale replica. I may be able to scale down the drawings and just work out the fret scaling but if plans were already out there.....

I hadn't been able to work in the shop for a few days. Been getting my daughter registered up in her new highschool and her daily hell week workout and practices for the next season. But, today, I was able to get the rosewood set in the quilt maple top for the Les Paul Uke. This was very brain racking for me, with my inlay inexperience and the fact I did NOT want to ruin this beautiful maple top. But, I did ok, and it is going to look great when sanding smooth to match the top surface.. I'm getting kinda excited to install this. In the meantime, I need to finish up the routing on the body and get it ready for it's new top.

P1050280.jpg

finished up the day trial fitting some of the electronics, and trial fitting the top to be sure things are going to end up where they should be. It's looking pretty good, and I am getting kinda excited to see it come together finally.

P1050284.JPGP1050287.JPG

Yup. All the routing will be copper lined, as well as the wires will be sheilded, and the bridge will also be grounded before it's complete.. Thanks for the feedback..

Trial fitting parts together. Here is the Les Paul uke as I trial fit it's parts. Getting antsy to get this together. It's starting to look pretty cool. Still need to affix the top, and final shape it. Neck will be raised (too low now, and don't want to raise it until I have the final thickness, and shaping done). The pups will be removable, and accessible from a panel on the back of the body. I wanted to have a clean look on the front, so all adjustments, and service will be done from the back. I still need to cut the 3 pos switch hole in the top too at this point. The bridge is a standard Les Paul Nashville style bridge that I converted to a 4 string wrap around bridge. That project came out very nice, and will look and work great on this build. Still need to drill and insert the bridge post inserts too. After final fitting, that will be measured per the scale, and done at that time.

P1050289.jpg

Don't hate on my old box. It's a late 1800's early 1900's pultry/egg crate. Don't hate me because I see beauty in old surviving relics.. ;)

Last edited:
This is pretty cool!

I can't wait to see how it finishes up. If it turns out good I might want one.

Great job Tony.

Top Bottom