Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin SO and S1 Ukes Very Disappointing

Default Martin SO and S1 Ukes Very Disappointing

Today I traveled to a local Martin Dealer and played the SO and the new S1 soprano ukuleles. I've got to tell you that I was really disappointed with both of them. The SO was $300 and the S1 was $350. I was hunting for a simple, solid mahogany uke. After playing each, I was not impressed at all. The action on the S1 was horrible and the action on the SO was acceptable. After examining and playing each of them, I came away with the conclusion that the Martin's are just over priced. I can't imagine that the formica OXK is any better for the money. I wish Martin could compete with companies offering equal if not better sounding ukuleles for almost half the cost. i

too bad. their old ones are so sweet.
    there is no substitute for LOVE

Thanks for posting such honesty. I posted a similar issue today about Mainlands.
    Kala Spruce Top Tenor Cutaway,
    Kala Mahogany Tenor
    Eddy Finn Banjo Ukulele,
    Makala Red Sunburst Dolphin soprano

Quote Originally Posted by delray48209 View Post
    Today I traveled to a local Martin Dealer and played the SO and the new S1 soprano ukuleles. I've got to tell you that I was really disappointed with both of them. The SO was $300 and the S1 was $350. I was hunting for a simple, solid mahogany uke. After playing each, I was not impressed at all. The action on the S1 was horrible and the action on the SO was acceptable. After examining and playing each of them, I came away with the conclusion that the Martin's are just over priced. I can't imagine that the formica OXK is any better for the money. I wish Martin could compete with companies offering equal if not better sounding ukuleles for almost half the cost. i
    Your not the only one, I played an s-1 couple of days ago and it has buzzing issues and it has that squeaky sound but it was loud though.
    Breedlove american tenor- no name, new member of the fam
    Ko'olau concert with misi- hope
    Kamoa spruce concert with fishman matrix infinity- legend
    Kamoa pineapple- destiny

Hospitalized:
    Cordoba koa
    Lanikai lu-21c

I'm not surprised. I own an S-O, which is ok, but not worth the full retail price by a long shot. I own two vintage Martins which are both AMAZING.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1. Those who need closure.

ca. 1923-'27 Martin Style 3M, ca. 1927-'28 Martin Style 2M, 1950s Martin Style 1M, ca. 1930 Gibson Uke 3, Kiwaya KTS-7, Mainland Gloss Mahogany Soprano, Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Soprano, Mainland Maple Soprano Banjo Uke, Flea Soprano, Maccaferri Islander Soprano and Baritone, et al...
    My paltry Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/ukecycle

I own a SO and a 1930s vintage Style 1. Today I tried out a S1 at a local music store.

The vintage Martin sounds awesome, but I thought that the S1 sounded very nice, it is also nicely made with an extended fretboard and solid mahogany body. Nicer than the S0 which it replaces. I think it is a nice uke for the price.
    Allan

Frequently Played
    National Triolian
    Godin Multi-Uke
    Kala 5-String
    Martin Style 2
    Koaloha Sceptre
    Other Instruments
    Harmonica, Lap Steel, Flute, Guitar

I must say, I haven't played an S1 yet, or even seen one in person. I am curious to try one out someday. I think they LOOK nicer than the S-O.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1. Those who need closure.

ca. 1923-'27 Martin Style 3M, ca. 1927-'28 Martin Style 2M, 1950s Martin Style 1M, ca. 1930 Gibson Uke 3, Kiwaya KTS-7, Mainland Gloss Mahogany Soprano, Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Soprano, Mainland Maple Soprano Banjo Uke, Flea Soprano, Maccaferri Islander Soprano and Baritone, et al...
    My paltry Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/ukecycle

I have a vintage Martin S-0, Kamaka standard, Favilla soprano, daughter has a Koaloha soprano. I played the OKX and thought that it was a nice instrument and would be happy playing it. The S-O I felt was not worth the time. Can't comment on the S1.

My store just got in the Martin ukes we ordered in February...a couple of S1's (one for the store, one for me) and an OXK. I like them both. I have never played an SO or a vintage Martin but I thought the S1 and OXK were both made well, and they both sound pretty good. I'm definitely not a soprano guy but I've been finding myself playing the S1 one a decent amount since I got it home.

I bought a new S-O at a discounted price. Not a bad uke, but for the going prices of the now discontinued S-O and even it's replacement, the S-1 there are a lot better ukes for the money. They just don't say Martin on the headstock
    My 4-String Family:
    Kamoa E3 Pineapple Soprano
    Martin S-O (given to my brother for Christmas with the stipulation he learns to play it)
    Early-70s Kamaka Soprano
    KPK Acacia Concert (given to a friend for his birthday because he wanted to learn to play ukulele)
    KPK Deluxe Long Neck Acacia Pineapple Soprano
    Gretsch Concert Resonator
    Lanikai O-8 Spruce/Ovangkol 8 String Tenor
    and various guitars

Thread Information