Martin SO and S1 Ukes Very Disappointing

delray48209

Reaction score
Today I traveled to a local Martin Dealer and played the SO and the new S1 soprano ukuleles. I've got to tell you that I was really disappointed with both of them. The SO was $300 and the S1 was $350. I was hunting for a simple, solid mahogany uke. After playing each, I was not impressed at all. The action on the S1 was horrible and the action on the SO was acceptable. After examining and playing each of them, I came away with the conclusion that the Martin's are just over priced. I can't imagine that the formica OXK is any better for the money. I wish Martin could compete with companies offering equal if not better sounding ukuleles for almost half the cost. i

Thanks for posting such honesty. I posted a similar issue today about Mainlands.

Today I traveled to a local Martin Dealer and played the SO and the new S1 soprano ukuleles. I've got to tell you that I was really disappointed with both of them. The SO was $300 and the S1 was $350. I was hunting for a simple, solid mahogany uke. After playing each, I was not impressed at all. The action on the S1 was horrible and the action on the SO was acceptable. After examining and playing each of them, I came away with the conclusion that the Martin's are just over priced. I can't imagine that the formica OXK is any better for the money. I wish Martin could compete with companies offering equal if not better sounding ukuleles for almost half the cost. i

Your not the only one, I played an s-1 couple of days ago and it has buzzing issues and it has that squeaky sound but it was loud though.

I'm not surprised. I own an S-O, which is ok, but not worth the full retail price by a long shot. I own two vintage Martins which are both AMAZING.

I own a SO and a 1930s vintage Style 1. Today I tried out a S1 at a local music store.

The vintage Martin sounds awesome, but I thought that the S1 sounded very nice, it is also nicely made with an extended fretboard and solid mahogany body. Nicer than the S0 which it replaces. I think it is a nice uke for the price.

I must say, I haven't played an S1 yet, or even seen one in person. I am curious to try one out someday. I think they LOOK nicer than the S-O.

I have a vintage Martin S-0, Kamaka standard, Favilla soprano, daughter has a Koaloha soprano. I played the OKX and thought that it was a nice instrument and would be happy playing it. The S-O I felt was not worth the time. Can't comment on the S1.

My store just got in the Martin ukes we ordered in February...a couple of S1's (one for the store, one for me) and an OXK. I like them both. I have never played an SO or a vintage Martin but I thought the S1 and OXK were both made well, and they both sound pretty good. I'm definitely not a soprano guy but I've been finding myself playing the S1 one a decent amount since I got it home.

I bought a new S-O at a discounted price. Not a bad uke, but for the going prices of the now discontinued S-O and even it's replacement, the S-1 there are a lot better ukes for the money. They just don't say Martin on the headstock

I guess one of the nice things about the OXK is that you could probably play it in the rain without any harmful effects because it's made out of formica. I started thinking that the OXK might make a "take any where Uke." But for about the same money, the Kiwya S1 I'm told sounds awesome compared to the OXK.

I'm always disappointed to hear when someone has a bad experience with these Martins. I guess they are just very hit or miss and I got lucky. I did not play full price for the S-O new. I keep it tuned up to D and it sounds great. It has been in my for sale list, but every time I pick it up and play it I change my mind. I have not tried the S-1 and do wish my S-O had an extended neck.

I have the OXK and like it very much. I have not tried the Kiwaya. I wouldn't call the OXK a laminate as it is formica so its not really wood although it has a lot of wood bracing in it

One thing has to be considered: the strings.
I have an S-O model and when I put Aquila nylgut High G, it really sings with a great attack for this soprano. Even so, I still prefer the tone of my Black Bear mahogany soprano. It is a little less strident, but it sounds very "woody".
I'll get an S-1 this week and I'll do a review with video comparing the two models, both using Aquila.

Last edited:
Please post your review on the S-1. I think it would be greatly anticipated.

Currently have Worth brown mediums on my S-O and found them to a big improvement over the Nylguts I tried. Only had the Nylguts on for about a week and just had to swap them out. Didn't like the brassy tone they produced.

I don't understand the bad rap that the SO's get. I have one and it's a nice uke. It's not the same as a vintage Martin but it still sounds good. Right now I have Aquila's on it.

When I played the SO and the S-1 side by side, I actually like the SO better. I too don't understand why the SO gets a bad rap. The only bad rap is the price point.

I played a brand new SO uke at Sam Ash Music a few weeks ago, and fell completely in love with it. That little uke would overpower any of the ones I have with the volume and sweet tone it put out. IF I had $289 to play around with, I would have purchased it right then and there, but alas, I'm broke.

Dan

I'm quite happy with my S-O. Reading the reviews, they seem to be a bit hit or miss on overall quality and sound. Perhaps I lucked out. That being said, I still think for the price there are better ukes out there to be had.

Top Bottom