Finger Stretching?

phil8715

Reaction score
Is there something I can buy to stretch and strengthen my fingers?

I am having loads of problems playing the F chord and G7 aswell. I know how to finger the chords but when I have to stretch over strings. I can't seem to reach it I always catch the string that the finger is trying to bridge over.

Very helpful link for finger exercises. Thank you.

Is there something I can buy to stretch and strengthen my fingers?
A guitar works... or at the very least a baritone uke.

While stretching exercises could be beneficial, I wonder if some of your difficulties might be related to technique. To reach some strings while avoiding others, try arching your fingers and pressing the desired strings with the very tips of your fingers, not the pads. If your wrist is tucked up under the neck, you might find it hard to do this, so let your wrist drop away from the neck. Experiment with different arm/hand/finger positions until you find what works for you. Your fingers will get stronger and more nimble as you practice.

While stretching exercises could be beneficial, I wonder if some of your difficulties might be related to technique. To reach some strings while avoiding others, try arching your fingers and pressing the desired strings with the very tips of your fingers, not the pads. If your wrist is tucked up under the neck, you might find it hard to do this, so let your wrist drop away from the neck. Experiment with different arm/hand/finger positions until you find what works for you. Your fingers will get stronger and more nimble as you practice.

AMEN to the above. If you get a "power ball" get the one with the putty inside. They don't last as long, and seem easy, but are amazingly effective. Personally, unless you have hand problems, follow the advice to insure proper technique, and practice, practice, practice. I swear you will "get it"

it is mainly technique which comes with practice. but given that I have short fingers and find some stretches virtually impossible especially on the tenor size uke, so I have to chose pieces which I can play. I find that the concert uke is my favourite but I play sop and tenor as well and enjoy them all.

Phil Hague - what seems impossible may become reality with practice. You will be surprised how much further you will be able to stretch if you exercise

Top Bottom