Ukulele Chord Progressions

Sketch lagit

Reaction score
So im trying to find a good book on ukulele chord progressions... problem is is that there arn't very many i don't know any of the authors and they're not really cheap. So if you have any good chord progressiong book that i should get let me know

also i saw some book of harmonizing something or other. I would really like to understand how all music "rolls" i want to learn how all chords work around eachother so if you know the best way to learn something like that please let me know too
thanks

Basically how to make music... being able to understand what chords go well with what chords in certain progressions.

Basically how to make music... being able to understand what chords go well with what chords in certain progressions.

That's sort of more of a music theory question than a ukulele-specific question. Without getting super technical about it, chords that are built off of a common scale will sound good together (that's more or less what it means to say that a song is in a particular key).

For example, the C Major scale goes C-D-E-F-G-A-B. A chord is formed by three (or more) notes being sounded at the same time. The most common basic chord consists of a root note, the note a third (either major or minor) above the root, and the note a fifth above the root.

The C Major chord is C-E-G. You can build chords using the C Major scale starting on any of the notes in the scale, though, which would give you D minor (D-F-A), E minor (E-G-B), F Major (F-A-C), G Major (G-B-D), A minor (A-C-E) and B diminished (B-D-F; don't worry too much about it yet). These chords are also referred to using the number that corresponds to the place of the root note in the scale that they're created from (the C Major chord is "the I," the D minor is "the ii", the E minor is "the iii", the F Major is "the IV", the G Major is "the V", the A minor is "the vi" and the B diminished is "the vii"). All of those chords will sound OK being played in the same song, because they're all derived from the same scale. It gets more complicated when you start extending the chords (adding sevenths and ninths and whatnot), but that's the basic idea.

There are some really common progressions that you hear in lots of songs. A I-IV-V-I is a common blues progression that you'll find all over the place in pop, rock, and jazz songs, too (sometimes as a I-IV-I-V-I or in some other arrangement). You often see ii-V-I progressions in standards - sometimes with variations (vi-ii-V-I, iii-vi-ii-V-I, and so forth). These are common progressions (in part) because they all build tension that gets released with the return to the I chord from the V chord.

Howlin' Hobbit put together a good selection of common chord progressions for ukulele here. Check it out and see how they sound!

Howlin' Hobbit put together a good selection of common chord progressions for ukulele here. Check it out and see how they sound!
Went to check it out and got this:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /uke_chord_progressions.pdf on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

That's sort of more of a music theory question than a ukulele-specific question. Without getting super technical about it, chords that are built off of a common scale will sound good together (that's more or less what it means to say that a song is in a particular key).

For example, the C Major scale goes C-D-E-F-G-A-B. A chord is formed by three (or more) notes being sounded at the same time. The most common basic chord consists of a root note, the note a third (either major or minor) above the root, and the note a fifth above the root.

The C Major chord is C-E-G. You can build chords using the C Major scale starting on any of the notes in the scale, though, which would give you D minor (D-F-A), E minor (E-G-B), F Major (F-A-C), G Major (G-B-D), A minor (A-C-E) and B diminished (B-D-F; don't worry too much about it yet). These chords are also referred to using the number that corresponds to the place of the root note in the scale that they're created from (the C Major chord is "the I," the D minor is "the ii", the E minor is "the iii", the F Major is "the IV", the G Major is "the V", the A minor is "the vi" and the B diminished is "the vii"). All of those chords will sound OK being played in the same song, because they're all derived from the same scale. It gets more complicated when you start extending the chords (adding sevenths and ninths and whatnot), but that's the basic idea.

There are some really common progressions that you hear in lots of songs. A I-IV-V-I is a common blues progression that you'll find all over the place in pop, rock, and jazz songs, too (sometimes as a I-IV-I-V-I or in some other arrangement). You often see ii-V-I progressions in standards - sometimes with variations (vi-ii-V-I, iii-vi-ii-V-I, and so forth). These are common progressions (in part) because they all build tension that gets released with the return to the I chord from the V chord.

Not that this information isn't extremely useful, but do you have any advice on where to best place for me to learn this in depth would be?
I got like halfway through "music theory for dummies" and am currently trying to read "everything music theory" their alright

Not that this information isn't extremely useful, but do you have any advice on where to best place for me to learn this in depth would be?
I got like halfway through "music theory for dummies" and am currently trying to read "everything music theory" their alright

It's a huge topic, so I'm not sure I can just point to a book or a DVD or what have you. :)

I've never read the books you're looking at right now, but they're probably good places to start getting familiar with the basic concepts. The UkeHunt ebook that elisdad linked to earlier is probably a good next step as far as getting your feet wet with music theory goes. He does a good job of explaining why certain chord progressions work well, how you can extend basic chords to sound more interesting/sophisticated/"jazzy", and then has a pretty clear discussion of chord substitutions that you might find valuable.

From there, there are lots of places to go, depending on what your goals are. My impression is that the genre of music that really gets excited about music theory is jazz - not that you can't do interesting stuff with rock, or blues, or folk music, but most theory books I've seen are directed at jazz players. In that regard, I've personally found The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine to be extremely helpful. I own a copy of Robert Rawlins' Jazzology, which covers some of the same material in a way that I personally find less helpful, but it might be worth checking out.

Not sure if your goal is to learn theory or to play music. :)

There's nothing wrong with theory, and it can certainly help you become a better musician, but the place to start if you're wanting to learn to play is to choose some of your favorite songs, look up the chord sheets for them on the internet, and begin playing. You can add the theory in a little at a time to figure out why the stuff that works, works.

Some very good musicians know very little about theory, honestly.

John

It's a huge topic, so I'm not sure I can just point to a book or a DVD or what have you. :)

I've never read the books you're looking at right now, but they're probably good places to start getting familiar with the basic concepts. The UkeHunt ebook that elisdad linked to earlier is probably a good next step as far as getting your feet wet with music theory goes. He does a good job of explaining why certain chord progressions work well, how you can extend basic chords to sound more interesting/sophisticated/"jazzy", and then has a pretty clear discussion of chord substitutions that you might find valuable.

From there, there are lots of places to go, depending on what your goals are. My impression is that the genre of music that really gets excited about music theory is jazz - not that you can't do interesting stuff with rock, or blues, or folk music, but most theory books I've seen are directed at jazz players. In that regard, I've personally found The Jazz Theory Book by Mark Levine to be extremely helpful. I own a copy of Robert Rawlins' Jazzology, which covers some of the same material in a way that I personally find less helpful, but it might be worth checking out.

Well here's the deal, I don't really like jazz music, you know with all the tubas and stuff. I want to learn about more of modern music, i want to learn why that stuff works the way it does. whats considered jazz?

Do you play any guitar? If so, then that might be an easier route into the theory and how-stuff-works area, simply because everyone and his dog plays guitar so there is a huge base of tutorial material, including the theory side.

Uke is a fantastic instrument, but it still doesn't have quite the support that guitar has when it comes to learning aids. Anything learned on guitar regarding chord progressions and other items of theory can be applied to 'ukulele.

Also, have you checked out the links in the sticky threads here? http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?3-Ukulele-Tips-Tricks-and-Technique. Some good tips to be found.

Well here's the deal, I don't really like jazz music, you know with all the tubas and stuff. I want to learn about more of modern music, i want to learn why that stuff works the way it does. whats considered jazz?

Well, that's another huge topic. :)

There are a bunch of different kinds of jazz. A good starting point, honestly, is the Wikipedia article. Although some genres - Dixieland and swing (as played by orchestras/big bands) in particular - are heavily arranged and do in fact use tubas, others are less structured and use just about any instrument you can think of. There's a style called "free jazz" that is almost entirely improvisational; most genres of jazz strike a balance between what's composed and what's improvised in performance.

Lyle Ritz is probably the best-known jazz ukulele player; his albums How About Uke? and No Frills could give you a sense of the possibilities of the ukulele in jazz.

Incidentally, OldePhart is absolutely right that you don't need a lot of theory to be a good musician. You do need a fair bit of theory for composing purposes (and it probably helps for songwriting, although according to legend Paul McCartney never learned to read music, so.... yeah)). The reason (I think) that there's so much written about music theory in a jazz context is that jazz musicians are expected to improvise in performance, which requires the musician to understand the stuff he's playing in a compositional kind of way. You don't need to do that to play even fairly complex, sophisticated songs, though.

It's worth mentioning that most of the jazz guys I've talked to have told me that while theory is fun and important in its way, it's way more important to listen to music mindfully and to get familiar with your instrument. If you listen carefully to music you enjoy and try to play what you hear on your uke, the theory will make a lot more sense than if you come to it cold. Theory is ultimately just a lot of ideas about why stuff sounds good; it's no substitute for playing.

I go HERE for chord progression inspiration.

I also recommend googling the How & Tao of Folk Guitar. Its a free ebook that is a great read & explains how you choose the chords you do in a progression...

S.

Top Bottom