Page 13 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: UUBL: Fall 2011 Edition - Final Results in!

One of my exercise buddies hurt his Achilles tendon several months ago and had to stop working out. Worried that he would gain weight while healing, he did some research and bought a book called Eat to Live, which stresses eating fruits and vegetables and lowering your intake of sugars. When he recently returned to exercising, he was 20 lbs. lighter than when he got hurt. I don't have any interest in the sales of this book, but I'm going to buy myself a copy.

I'm no nutritionist, but I have learned that dietary rules are pretty common sense:

> Do not diet by cutting your food intake. As some people have pointed out, when your calorie intake drops below what your body needs, yourt body will, initially, burn fat, but then its anti-famine instinct will adjust your metabolism to adapt to the lower calorie intake. You can instead manipulate your metabolism through tinkering with your body chemistry. Although people lose weight by burning more calories than they ingest, the TYPES of calories people eat DO matter. (For example, 1,800 calories of ice cream are different from 1,800 calories of broccoli. For one thing, you may not have room for 1,800 calories of broccoli, and the two foods will have an effect on how much insulin your body gives itself, which will, in turn, affect whether you feel hungry.)

> Avoid additives like high fructose corn syrup, or any single ingredient that includes a word ending in "-ose" and the word "syrup"). The corn syrup people want you to believe that all sugars are the same by giving you all sorts of calorie information, but your body processes syrupy sugars differently than it processes natural sugars in fruits.

> Avoid eating a big-calorie meal within five hours of going to sleep. Bodies are not like cars. The fuel you ingest doesn't sit there waiting to be burned. If you don't burn it within a certain time, the body stores it as fat, and when it becomes fat it's a lot harder to burn off. Many nutritionists say that "grazing" (eating several smaller meals instead of a few big ones) is more healthy because you end up taking in fuel as you need it.

> Eat a filling, nutritious and healthy breakfast. Studies indicate that people who eat a nutritious and healthy breakfast (for example, eggs with wheat toast) burn more calories at rest than people who eat donuts and muffins (yes, most muffins are bad for you because they contain sugar or other additives; get your bran elsewhere) for breakfast or who eat no breakfast at all.

> For help with making dietary choices, use legitimate and reliable Internet resources. One is Men's Health's "Eat This, Not That" website. Another good one is the Harvard School of Public Health's nutrition website.

> Exercise at least 30 minutes a day. Sounds more daunting than it is, but walking counts as exercise. Make simple changes like taking the stairs instead of the elevator, parking your car farther away from your destination than you currently do and, if you have a desk job or other sedentary job, include multiple walk breaks throughout the day. Buy a pedometer and make sure you get to 10,000 steps a day.

> Include strength training in your exercise plan. It seems counterintiutive; muscle weighs more than fat and strength training adds muscle. But muscle burns fuel and fat doesn't. Studies have demonstrated that people who engage in strength training workouts twice or three times a week have a higher metabolism than people who don't. A higher metabolism burns more calories, and will help you burn off fat faster.

> Exercise early in the day if you can. There's a "halo effect" to exercise -- your body's metabolism is higher for hours after you work out. People who work out in the morning burn more calories during the course of the day than people who don't.

> AVOID DIET SODA. Yes, diet soda is calorie-free, but studies strongly indicate that the artificial sweetener affects your body chemistry, and there's anecdotal evidence that diet soda causes your body to crave sugar. Substitute water for diet soda. If you need the flavor and fizz of soda, buy carbonated water and add a small amount of fruit juice.

> Limit your intake of fruit juices. It's better to get the nutritional value of fruit from the fruit itself, as juices, even those with no sugar added, have a higher concentration of fructose than fruits themselves do.

Those are just a few guidelines for increasing the likelihood of losing weight. Reliable websites and books offer many more. Good luck to everyone in your quest for a healthier life!
    Last edited by mds725; 08-22-2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Added a link

Being a large guy, sometimes I find humor in my size. I have always been considered a witty guy, and I try to see the lighter side of even bad situations. I have never been ashamed of my size, and myself making light of it, puts people at ease about it too. Makes them feel more comfortable and feeling they have to walk on egg shells and be afraid of saying the wrong thing. Anyone wanting to share a funny story that had something to do with their size, or weight issue, I enccurage them to share. Here are two of mine, one from several years ago, and one from when I was in the obesity hospital a year ago.

1) At this time, I was 6'5" tall, and tipped the scales at about 500 lbs. Yes, many times, people look and stare at me due to my size. I was always aware of it, and laughed at it most the time. Myself and a good friend commuted together to the office, and she was driving this particular day. I crammed myself into her Rav4, and we were off. She stopped at a small roadside coffee stand right next to a tourist type of trade center, and rest stop. We pull in, and I peel myself out of her car to stretch some. I notice about 80 yards off, is a large tour bus parked by the trading post store. It was full of Asian tourists, and they were wandering about, also stretching from their tour. I notice several of them staring at me and a few raising their cameras for a picture of the "Big American Guy..." I told my commute partner that I will be right back. I started lumbering over to the tour group. Many of them looked away and walked quickly into the store. A couple were standing there and looked like a couple deer in headlights. It was one that had his camera out taking pictures of this North American Sasquatch. I approached the man. He was a very small stature guy, that made it even funnier. He wife looked very worried. I reached for his camera and he held on tight, but I easily broke his grasp. I then handed the camera to his wife, and stepped next to the little guy. He came to about mid chest to me. I wrapped my arm around the guy and pulled him into a close embrace, smiled big, motioning the woman to get the picture. As soon as they realized what I was doing, they were grinning ear to ear. She took the picture, and they both speaking their native tounge I assume in appreciation for the experiance, and picture. They could not stop bowing, and smiling. I bowed back, and told them to enjoy their stay in the USA, and gave them a "God Bless, and be safe on your trip.." The whole bus was in an uproar, and clapping as I lumbered back to my friend. We went on our way. I could only imaging the stories they told when they returned home to Asia of the Huge American Bigfoot guy, as they showed off their trip pictures..

2) A year ago, in the obesity hospital, we had a young administrator that worked there as out activity person. She was a tiny petite young woman in her early 20s. Cute as a button. At that time, I was in my wheelchair most the time, and rarely stood up because I couldn't but for a few seconds at a time, at that time. As I gained strength with the help of the PT techs and their program. I started to be able to walk some, and stand. I decided to walk from the PT room on this day on my own power with no assistance. It was the first time after getting there. I had to lumber as quick as I could before my back and leg failed me to get to my room. I was moving at a pretty good clip as I rounded a corner near my room. This little admin gal was right around the corner talking with a nurse, and not expecting someone of my size to round the corner near them. As I rounded the corner, it startled her. She turned quickly as the light from down the hall was blocked by my mass. I consumed her and the hallway as I lumbered by. All she could do with huge eyes, and mouth open was mutter, "Oh my GOD, you are HUGE!!!'. She never saw me standing before, and didn't realize I was as tall, and large as I really was. It was impulsive, and it was out before she realized what she had said. I jokinly replied "Damn Karla, don't they offer sensitivity training to you guys here?" She was so embarrased over the comment and tried to explain she meant "tall".. I laughed, and it was a sudden impulsive response that she was so embarrased over. We all laughed over it, and she realized I was good humored about it, and knew what she meant. But, it was one of those "had to be there.." moments.

Any other funny "big" stories here in the group?
    Last edited by Tudorp; 08-22-2011 at 09:01 AM.
    Mahalo Ke Akua
    ------------------
    Ohana SK-35 a.k.a. "IZ"
    Ohana SK-21 a.k.a. "Ku'u poki'i <Kapookie>"
    Lanikai LU-21 a.k.a. "Cinderella"
    Epiphone Les Paul Concert Uke "Lil' Lester"
    Harmony Banjo Uke a.k.a. "Bango"
    Gibson Les Paul a.k.a. "Hobo Ted"
    Epiphone Les Paul Studio a.k.a. "Barnabas"
    Epiphone Les Paul a.k.a. "Blaze"
    Gretsch Tenor Banjo a.k.a. "Jed"
    Supertone 406, 5 string Banjo a.k.a. "GrandPa Jones"
    Fernendes Telecaster "Suemeh"

As a teacher, I realised it was time to lose weight when some of my Year 8 kids called me Peter Griffin one day when I had shaved my beard off. It took a while to see the funny side of it!

My week has started off badly- my wife goes back to work from maternity leave tomorrow which meant we have had quite a naughty day - full English breakfast and a cream tea this afternoon. Will have to work hard the rest of the week!.

If anyone needs any extra motivation, I have been using myfitnesspal.com which has helped me lose 23 lbs so far. It is a social networking weight loss site which has an incredible food database (with barcodes!) and I get a lot of support from other members. If anyone does join, my username on there is DoctorFinlay also.

Having seen other people post their start weight, I will too - 253.4lbs. I was 276 a couple of months ago and still have a way to go.
    My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DoctorFinlay43

Ohana CK-50WG concert
    Lepore Zebra wood tenor (taisamlu)
    Ashbury 8 string tenor
    Makala Dolphin
    Eleuke Peanut (from Mim!)

Learning French? Check out my website! http://www.interactivetextbooks.co.uk
    Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InteractiveTextbooks

It sounds like folks are doing well. So far so good for me, on day 2. Treadmilled this morning with Milo, my pug, while watching Celebrity Rehab. Boy I'm glad I'm not in their shoes. Let's hope tonight goes well, there's salmon waiting for me, yum.
    Christine in Woodstock, Georgia, USA (Atlanta area)

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFinlay View Post
    If anyone needs any extra motivation, I have been using myfitnesspal.com which has helped me lose 23 lbs so far. It is a social networking weight loss site which has an incredible food database (with barcodes!) and I get a lot of support from other members. If anyone does join, my username on there is DoctorFinlay also.
    I'm on myfitnesspal.com as well. I really like their free iOS app. My username is Hiddencross there as well.
    My cure for UAS:
    ♬ Kanile'a K-1 Tenor
    My beater:
    ♫ Makala Tenor

Great stories, Tudorp. Thanks for sharing.

Tomorrow am, heading out for 4.5 mile run.. yeah.. Stay away rain!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fitncrafty View Post
    Tomorrow am, heading out for 4.5 mile run.. yeah.. Stay away rain!!!
    I first read this as '4:45 run', and thought, geez, you are more committed than I am! Enjoy the run!
    Christine in Woodstock, Georgia, USA (Atlanta area)

Did 90 minutes of yoga today after work and stayed at 1200 calories. Will play with my weights b4 bed tonight.

Submitted my first weigh-in! 208 on the dot!

Tonight:
    20 minutes cardio on the elliptical with 5min cool down, and then upper body lifting on the machines... now time for a whey protein shake!

I'm going more for fat loss and muscle growth, so my results may be a little weird!
    Last edited by Kazzthemurse; 08-22-2011 at 08:36 PM.

Thread Information