Ohana Vita uke case

Pippin

Reaction score
$73.49

Not a bad price at all.
Huh? I have a hard time justifying a case that's nearly half the cost of the uke itself. Unless, of course, it's fungible, which this one is not. It specifically says:

HARD CASE UCV-24 by Ohana for "Vita" Style ukuleles only - will not fit regular or pineapple ukes.

I'm afraid that hard cases are one of those nice luxuries I like to indulge in. That case looks awesome Mickey. And, relatively speaking, that's a pretty reasonable price.

I'm with eugene the case for my KA-s was more'n half and it's my granson's uke I bought for him. I can see him setting on the gig bag now YIKES !

I bought the Ohana Concert Gig Bag which is very nice. I believe it offers good protection and it only cost me $19.00. I'm confident that my Vita would survive a drop from arms length without damage. I would not want to drop it off a building, smash it into a wall, or put it through any other heavy abuse in the gig bag. The vita sits nicely in the gig bag and it's a whole lot cheaper. I guess if Eric Clapton carried "Blackie," his once treasured stratocaster in a Fender Nylon padded gig bag, I believe the padded gig back is fine for my Vita.

Last edited:
Well, as I've got my $150 Cordoba in an $85 Kala hard case, I don't see the issue with paying for the extra protection.

Making Music Magazine told me that my Vita Uke comes with a case, so I can't wait to see what kind it is!

We get home late Tuesday, so I can pick up the instrument on Wednesday. Along with the Republic Tudorp was setting up for me (In, I might add, a Hard Shell Case), and 3-1/2 weeks worth of mail.

Yee haw!

-Kurt

It all comes down to perceived value. To me, I love the uke and it is worth the investment. It is also a matter of fact that if you travel with a uke, accidents happen and it is much better to have any instrument in a hardshell case.

John Denver, as famous and wealthy as he was, used to travel with guitars in gig bags. They got broken in transit frequently enough to carry a bunch of guitars, just in case, but he never switched to hardshell cases.

It's all a personal preference.

Nice looking case, but with shipping it's just about what I payed for my Vita (got it used). But I can see the value if you travel with it, mine rarely leaves the house and the semi hard (Lanikai I think) concert case I have it in fits OK.

John Denver, as famous and wealthy as he was, used to travel with guitars in gig bags. They got broken in transit frequently enough to carry a bunch of guitars, just in case, but he never switched to hardshell cases.

It's all a personal preference.

Although I have been a John Denver fan since the mid-60s, I also recognize that he chose to ignore medical advice and FAA regulations and took an experimental aircraft up for what was his last flight. More than a couple of guitars got broken that day.

Yeah, personal preference all right.

-Kurt

If your not going to leave the house with your Vita, why not just stick it in a pillow case to keep the dust off of it?

... I guess if Eric Clapton carried "Blackie," his once treasured stratocaster in a Fender Nylon padded gig bag, I believe the padded gig back is fine for my Vita.

Maybe Clapton used to do that, but I'm pretty sure he hasn't done it since around 2002. About that time I was living in Virginia, not too far from a town called Oilville. That's where Cedar Creek cases are located. They've since had a couple of changes in management, but at that time, were producing the best custom cases in the world.

Just before my first visit, they had shipped off a case to Clapton. I missed seeing it in person, but they showed me the photos. It had solid gold hardware, a special Florida trapper had been enlisted to catch 3 albino gators with matching bellies, and the case had it's own case.

Eric paid $50,000.00 (yes, that's no misprint) for that little item. Don't think he uses a gig bag anymore, unless he's worried about getting his case's case dirty.

FYI - I now own two Vita Uke cases. One for my Ohana, which it was built for, and a second for my Harmony Vita Uke. It's a little smaller than the interior, but other than the original Harmony case, nothing else fits the original Vita.

And by the way, the Ohana Vita is underpriced for what you get. It remains my favorite value in a new mid-range uke at $150. I believe it's quite comparable in tone, feel and resonance to ukes priced around $300. And when you consider how good it is, a $73 case is very much justified.

FYI - I now own two Vita Uke cases. One for my Ohana, which it was built for, and a second for my Harmony Vita Uke. It's a little smaller than the interior, but other than the original Harmony case, nothing else fits the original Vita.

And by the way, the Ohana Vita is underpriced for what you get. It remains my favorite value in a new mid-range uke at $150. I believe it's quite comparable in tone, feel and resonance to ukes priced around $300. And when you consider how good it is, a $73 case is very much justified.

I have two Vitas, now, each with a hard case.

Funny thing is, the first Vita i won, so it was free, and the second was $160 here on the UU marketplace. So my average is that I've got a pair of ukes, each with a hard case, for the equivalent of $80 each.

Of course, I also just bought a Reunion Blues Tenor gig bag from Gerald Ross for $99, and I'm hoping that some instrument mojo came with it...

-Kurt​

(And I'm on the lookout for a reasonably priced Harmony Vita Uke myself...)

Just for peoples' information - any regular Concert uke case fits an Ohana Vita snugly and comfortably.
You can use it for regular figure 8 shaped Concerts too..

I don't know about Ohana Vitas but I bought an Ohana Vita case for my Harmony Roy Smeck Vita because my concert cases wouldn't fit it. If you own a vintage Vita you want a good case for it and this Ohana case is an excellent one. Both of my Harmony Vita's were purchased for under $500 (one came with a vintage case) and the new Ohana case gives them excellent protection and are not overpriced for a uke in that price range and vintage (20's-30's). Don't know if I can say that about the Ohana Vita. cheers, g2

Just for peoples' information - any regular Concert uke case fits an Ohana Vita snugly and comfortably.
You can use it for regular figure 8 shaped Concerts too..

Is the Ohana Vita the same size as the original? Is the Ohana Vita the same size as a UKIYO Vita, which is the same size as the original ? There is a Ukiyo Vita sitting in one of the inexpensive soprano cases with the imprinted palm tree. All that was needed to make it fit was to unscrew the back end of the little compartment under the neck and remove it and the attached lid. It doesn't complain about no pocket.
The UKIYO also fits nicely in a Uke Crazy case with the built in gauges without any modification.

Sorry to bring back this old topic but I recently bought a Howlett Vita Uke soprano. I tried all my hardcases (probably around 5-7 different ones) and none of them fits the Vita.

Any suggestions? (Except the Ohana one which seems to be pretty hard to find in Europe).

Thanks!

Maybe a mandolin case would work?

Top Bottom