Anyone going to this year's Wine Country Ukulele Festival?

mds725

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
This year, the Wine Country Ukulele Festival is being held at the Upper Valley Campus of Napa Valley College in St. Helena on Saturday September 10 and Sunday September 11. (There's also a James Hill & Friends concert at the Napa Opera House on Friday September 9.) Any UUers planning to go?

Last edited:
I will be there! Come by the booth and say Hi!.

–Lori

I'm planning on being there Saturday the 10th . . . hopefully nothing comes up like last year.

I'll be there, Friday concert at the Napa Valley Opera House, Saturday, mostly in workshops, and Sunday, mostly just enjoying the music.

I'll be there teaching some of workshops, leading some jams and hanging out all weekend. UUkers please come up and introduce yourselves to me!

I'll be there Sunday.

Hey Mark, in my mind I'm goin' to Carolina, so I figure the ol' Wine Country uke fest is just a stones throw. See ya there...

I'm going! I can't wait! Maybe we can have a UU member meet up?

I'm pretty much a beginner. I can form barre chords and strum along, but I'm just learning to play notes (melody?). Would it be worth my time to attend the workshops and if so which ones? I've been to a Jim DaVille, playukulelebyear workshop and really enjoyed that. Any suggestions? I went to the Roy Sakuma Festival in Oahu this year and the show's were amazing and so were the random people walking up and playing at the manufacturers booth's. Great time. Anyhow, any suggestions for skill appropriate workshops that would benefit my uke experience would be appreciated.

Thank you,

-Gary

I will be there. I will be doing workshops and performing in the Saturday evening concert. And, of course, I will be at the Ohana booth. Please come and say hello.

It was a wonderful event last year and I am certain this year will be as good or even better.

I will be there! Come by the booth and say Hi!.

–Lori

Great! I definitely will.

I'll be there teaching some of workshops, leading some jams and hanging out all weekend. UUkers please come up and introduce yourselves to me!

I've been enjoying your Play by Ear DVDs and I'm looking forward to your workshop.

Hey Mark, in my mind I'm goin' to Carolina, so I figure the ol' Wine Country uke fest is just a stones throw. See ya there...

Carolina, California. Different coasts, same vibe. :) I may have to bring back a souvenir for you.

I'm going! I can't wait! Maybe we can have a UU member meet up?

That could be fun. Maybe we should write our UU handles on our nametags.

I'm pretty much a beginner. I can form barre chords and strum along, but I'm just learning to play notes (melody?). Would it be worth my time to attend the workshops and if so which ones? I've been to a Jim DaVille, playukulelebyear workshop and really enjoyed that. Any suggestions? I went to the Roy Sakuma Festival in Oahu this year and the show's were amazing and so were the random people walking up and playing at the manufacturers booth's. Great time. Anyhow, any suggestions for skill appropriate workshops that would benefit my uke experience would be appreciated.

Thank you,

-Gary

Gary, the workshops are rated by difficulty level. You should be okay in workshops that include level 1 players. On Saturday, that would be Very Beginning Ukulele and Playing by ear at 10:15, Two-chord Songs and Ukulele Ergonomics at 11:45, and 3 Chord Club Jam-Rock n' Blues, Essential Strums, and Basic Vocal Harmony at 2;15. On Sunday, that would be Very Beginning Ukulele, Percussive Techniques, and 3-Chord Magic at 10:15, Playing By Ear and Breaking Out of the Strumming Rut at 11:45, and How to Write a Chord Chart, 3-Chord Club Beatles, and KaniKaPila, Contemporary Hawaiian at 2:15. I hope that helps.

I will be there. I will be doing workshops and performing in the Saturday evening concert. And, of course, I will be at the Ohana booth. Please come and say hello.

It was a wonderful event last year and I am certain this year will be as good or even better.

I had the pleasure of meeting you last year at the Ohana booth. While I didn't get to see you perform, I got to watch you jam with Ralph Shaw, James Hill, Mike DaSilva and MusicGuyMic. I posted my video of it here on YouTube.

Last edited:
I'm going to the concert Friday night and will be there all weekend for workshops (though I'm skipping Sunday morning so I can sleep in!)

I like the idea of adding UU: [user name] on our nametags, and we would be interested in a UU meetup. I haven't been to this event before (or even to St. Helena!) - anyone have any ideas about where we could meet?

Also, is anyone going to the concert on Saturday night (Flea by Night)?

I had the pleasure of meeting you last year at the Ohana booth. While I didn't get to see you perform, I got to watch you jam with Ralph Shaw, James Hill, Mike DaSilva and MusicGuyMic. I posted my video of it here on YouTube.

Thanks very much. I have watch that video many times and I still don't know what we were playing. As I remember, Mike DaSilva had brought a banjo with him to the festival. Ralph got hold of it and started playing something. James and I grabbed a reso each. This was the only thing that stood a chance of competing with the volume of a banjo, especially at the volume that Ralph was playing.

I jammed with a lot of people that weekend.

I like the idea of adding UU: [user name] on our nametags, and we would be interested in a UU meetup. I haven't been to this event before (or even to St. Helena!) - anyone have any ideas about where we could meet?

Last year we had a poolside jam Saturday Night at the Calistoga Inn, it was a blast.
Several of us are planning the same thing again, so drop by.

Cool! I just may do that. We don't have anything planned for Saturday night yet. Thanks!

I like the "UU" on the name tag thing, but last year they just did wrist bands instead of name tags, so I'll write the UU on my band (maybe in red letters).

Also, is anybody planning on going to the Post-Festival jam on Sunday at 6:00? I'm up for it, I just need to convince my wife. :)

Also, is anybody planning on going to the Post-Festival jam on Sunday at 6:00? I'm up for it, I just need to convince my wife. :)

This is definitely a DO NOT MISS jam. It was a ball last year, was super fun and a great way to end the weekend.

This is definitely a DO NOT MISS jam. It was a ball last year, was super fun and a great way to end the weekend.

I agree... what a fun venue, even with the unexpected train going by (sorry about that Ken). Great food too. Bring a uke and your jacket, 'cause even if it is a hot day, it will cool down in the evening.

I think I will go to the Saturday concert Flea By Night. Looks like good line up! http://winecountryukefest.com/flea-by-night/

–Lori

Top Bottom