Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrong Ukulele shipped to me...Should I keep it?

Default Wrong Ukulele shipped to me...Should I keep it?

I ordered a Kala solid mahogany soprano with geared keys but when it came in today it has friction keys. Me being a beginner I'm a little worried that I'll have trouble keeping it in tune. I do really like the traditional look with the friction keys. The store offered to knock $30 off the $196 price or I can return it for a full refund. I really don't know what I'm doing at this stage anyway. Do ya'll think I should just keep it with the discount? In case I decide to sell it later will it be less desirable? If I do have trouble with it are good replacement friction keys expensive? Thanks for any help with my decision.

I would keep it. I started out with friction tuners and I guess since I learned with them I do not see what the big deal is about folks that don't like them. If you decide to sell later personally the fiction tuners would make it more desirable to people who prefer friction.
    RoxHum

"Music self-played is happiness self-made"

Sopranos: Donaldson (Myrtle), Kamaka (Koa), 2 Mainland's (Cedar/Rosewood & Mahogany),
    Nahenahe (Mahogany) (Thank you Stan)
    Concert: Mainland Classic Mahogany (low G)
    and one flashy white and gold Titano accordion

As a beginner I would've wanted geared tuners. But now I would choose the balance of friction tuners on a soprano. And yes you can upgrade friction tuners if you desire. Mainland has deluxe tuners for $25, so there's the money you'd save in keeping a better balanced instrument.

A lot of people actually do prefer friction tuners. They're supposed to be lighter weight, so the headstock isn't weighed down by geared tuners.

Friction tuners are a little trickier to tune, though.

If it were me, I think I'd take the $30 off and deal with it, as long as you like the uke otherwise.

Is there a price difference between geared and friction tuners? I would ask for a discount in the equivalent of the price difference plus shipping for sending this uke back and sending you another one. Use that money and buy a clipon tuner

Go for the discount as as you enjoy the instrument...this won't be your last!!!!
    Last edited by Dan Uke; 08-16-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Aloha ukupapa!
    Welcome to the 'Ukulele Underground and to the 'ukulele. I agree with those who've posted above^^^ and keep the Kala Solid Mahogany soprano. I started with a soprano with friction tuners very similar to yours and learned to tune them correctly. Perhaps a right of passage. Maybe further down the road, you may want to upgrade to Peg-Head planetary geared tuners. Hope this helps.

Mason671
    Obserbahan ang mga mata;
    makinig sa mga uhay;
    sarhan ang bibig.
    Ganito ang gawa.

Kala KA ASAC-T Solid Acacia Tenor
    Kala KA-C Concert
    Makala Dolphin Black Sparkle

There are friction tuners on my Kala, and they are very nice quality, very smooth, I would keep it.

A thought from a learning standpoint-most ukes have friction tuners it seems, and if you are in a situation to try another uke at some point such as play a friends, or in a music store, point being you are bound to run across them , it would be good for you to know how to use them IMO

Take the $30
    Larry from Delaware
    Kanile'a T-1 Deluxe, Islander MT-4
    2000 Collings D1 (Canon), 1993 Larrivee OM-09 cedar top (Lady), Taylor GA-3 12 string, Martin 00C-16DB
    Carvin LB-20 fretless bass

I have frictions on my soprano and find that once the strings settle in there's not much tweeking needed. It's also a lot easier to change strings.

Thanks for the help guys......I like the Kala and wanted to keep it but just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mistake...so I'm keeping it.

Thread Information