Chord Help

Fadedpent

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have several chord charts but none of them seem to have the F# and G5 chords. Can anyone give me a visual of how to do these

F# = 3121
G5 = 0235

lcl

Just to give you some technical background, Faded...

Fifth chords (G5, in this case) are often referred to as "power chords." They are chords that consist only of the root note of the chord (G) and the fifth interval (D). Such chords are most often used in situations where heavy distortion is introduced to the sound. The distortion process typically adds various harmonics, and because a normal chord includes the third interval, it often results in a muddy sound - thus it is removed.

Unless you are pumping your ukulele through some type of distortion effect, you can usually just play the normal major or minor chord and it will sound fine.

That being said, the fifth chord will give a distinct sound that may be desired, even in an acoustic arrangement. The first example that comes to mind is the intro to "Aimee" by Pure Prairie League that starts with a sort of droning fifth chord. (I'm not quite sure why that example was what popped into my mind... Country music isn't really my bag, but it works.)

Great explanation!! Thanks!!

Thanks you all so much for throwin some info at me here. Im not quite sure how to read the number correlations you gave me there seeso, im still pretty new :/ . Thanks for all the info there Wicked, i have been using ultimate guitar for chord progressions and thats why it was telling me G5 i will try it as a maj and minor and if i can figure it out, with the 5th chord and see what sounds right for that song. Also Wicked, are you from up north like myself, both the use of the word wicked and the twang on your signature seems to point to you bein a yank like me (maine born and raised till i was 10). Just wondering lol

As long as everyone's busting out the technical...

You probably do have F# on one of your chord charts, but it's probably labeled as Gb.

F# and Gb are the same chord on ukulele. It's kinda like how 4 + 1/2 is the same thing as 5 - 1/2.

JJ

Im not quite sure how to read the number correlations you gave me there seeso

Hi Fadedpent

The four numbers (such as 3121) mean the fret numbers from the G string (closest to your nose) to A string (closest to your toes) [I called it the nose-to-toe notation]

Your C chord will be 0 0 0 3; F chord will be 2 0 1 0 etc. Note This F# chord (3121) is one fret higher than this F chord (2 0 1 0)

Cheers
Chief

Last edited:
I'm from Boston, but don't worry - I won't hold your Maine origins against you.

That was an awesome explanation Chief, thank you. Some other things im stuck on are C#m , F#m, Bsus4. Can anyone help me with these?

Some other things im stuck on are C#m , F#m, Bsus4.

Man, you really need to put that song in an easier key. :)

Anyway, C#m and F#m are also probably on your chord chart. But remember... they might be labeled as Dbm and Gbm.

C# = Db
D# = Eb
F# = Gb
G# = Ab
A# = Bb

The rest of the chord name (the m or the sus4 or the 7, etc.) stays the same. So C#m = Dbm, C#7 = Db7, and so on.

The Bsus4 can be played as 4422.

JJ

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have several chord charts but none of them seem to have the F# and G5 chords. Can anyone give me a visual of how to do these
Here's an app you can have on your desktop, it's called Ukulele Chordfinder. The download is located in the left sidebar towards the bottom.

JJ thanks so much, thats extremely helpful. Kanaka, i actually found similar apps for android, they are pretty helpful as well, good suggestion. :) thanks for the help everyone! This forum has been a monumental aide to me in my quest to master this beautiful little instrument.

Top Bottom