Greetings!

gitarzan

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm Dave from Columbus Ohio. I'm just beginning ukulele, but have played guitar (mostly strumming chords) for a long time.

I have a little souvenir type Leolani soprano uke that my brother gave me a few years back, as well as a soprano Kay that I had got from a yard sale. I had messed with them a little but not much.

Last week I saw the MIGHTY UKE documentary and got my interest piqued. I pulled out the Leolani, tuned it and looked up some tabs. That was all it took. When I was playing Over The Rainbow within a half hour I was hooked.

The next few nights I looked at Ukes online and so I drove to Music Go Round and looked at few to make sure I was aware of sizes. I decided on a Concert size. I then went online an bought a Luna Tattoo Concert.

The next day I get an email that this company was out of stock. Nuts. So I go back online and found another company selling the Luna Tattoo Concert Electric for 10 bucks less that the non-electric! I liked the looks of the electric better because of the the cut-away. So just wonderful.

While waiting I wondered back into MGR. I looked and compared and decied I liked a particular new Lanakai Tenor LU21-T. It was setup nicely and played well with a nice tone. Most places sell these for $125, but they had them marked at $39.00!!! So I bought it. It was only later I checked online and found what a deal I got. I went over it carefully to see if I got a second, but there were no such markings, and it sure doesn't look or play like a second.

I played it until today when the Luna arrived. It's quite nice too. Both of my new ukes came with Aquist Nylgut strings. So good stuff is installed already. The Tenor really needs a better nut, that seems to be that crappiest part. I'll order a bone or Corian nut and saddle, cut them down and it ought to really make it pop. I used to say a bone saddle will add $100 to the tone of a guitar. I suppose the same goes for a uke.

Playing-wise, since I came from a guitar background, chording is easy, I just try to remember the new names for the old shapes at a chord or two a day.

Issues exist at strumming, I know you don't strum it like a guitar, but getting the hang of strumming in ukulele-kind-of-way is coming slowly. But I figure I'll get it soon enough.

Anyway, I'm having fun.

This forum has been a big help already.

Welcome! Glad you joined us. Many long time guitarists are discovering the "Joy of Uke."

Top Bottom