My new baby...this thing is so cool!

That's the first time I've heard one of those played, I guess they've been around for many years. What a brilliant job of playing. I have heard a hammered dulcimer played, very pretty too, quite a different animal.

Hi! So great to see other Mountain Dulcimer/Uke players here! I have two. One is the traditional lap style and the other is the stick style. I'm finding it difficult to find workable music for the stick Mountain Dulcimer. I prefer that instrument but the issue is the fretting is much harding than on a lap style instrument. While it's super easy to do some left-hand chording on the lap, when translating the instrument to the stick (where it's a long thin neck, lick a guitar) these chord shapes become impossible. (My hands aren't large.) Wondering if anyone else has played the stick Mountain Dulcimer and if they've had success with finding playable music.

I've since gotten a Seagull Merlin. It sounds great and is a ball to play. I like being able to hold it like a uke. It took a while to get used to a plastic pick again though.

Great instrument! Well-done!

I'm a Seagull Merlin fan, too. I find it it easier to hold than a Strumstick and I find its sound to be much richer.

Just stumbled upon this older thread. The Mountain dulcimer is my main instrument. Love it. I also own a Seagull Merlin, and it's makes for a nice wall ornament. Way way over priced for what you get in return. Just an opinion mind you.

My go to dulcimer is a 4 string McSpadden strung with 3 strings. Personally, after owning many different brands, I would only buy McSpadden. The quality and sound are superb. And man they are excellent when you have a problem.

Last edited:
I seldom get accompliments on my singing anyway. :)

After re-reading, I agree with you: "Accompliments" was a very stupid choice of a word. Stupid stupid stupid. I had to laugh at myself. Too much medication after back surgery. At least that's my story.

Yes, but we all have occasional flips of the slingers.

I reckon so. Anyways, the Mountain Dulcimer is a wonderful stringed instrument.

Nov. 10th will be the first meeting of a new uke club, that I am helping to form. Since several of us are dulcimer players, we have agreed to welcome dulcimer in our group. But only after we have met as a uke only group for three or four meetings. Most of us have never played uke with others. I am guessing the first 2 or 3 meetings will be wild. Patience.

My sister-in-law plays one.

Top Bottom