My new baby...this thing is so cool!

fumanshu

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm just dropping by to show you my new little baby......

Ohhhh, I forgot, this is not an uke!!! I'm just so used to share with forums members all my collection of ukes, guitarleles, that I consider this one as just an extension as my UAS!!!! heeheh!!!

So, it's a mountain dulcimer...this one is the McSpadden Ginger....it's a short scale dulci so it's as portable as an ukulele...it's simply awesome!!!

Anyway, so it has a redwood top with walnut sides and back, all solid wood....

dulcimerginger.jpg

dulcimerside.jpg

dulcimertop.jpg

I don't know if anyone of you own a dulcimer but this thing is very cool to play with and not hard....

Anyway, so just to give you an idea of how it sounds like, I just did a little video with the new Q3 HD that my dad just bought.... I think it's a nice improvement compare to the old Q3....

It's worth to listen it in HD setting on YT.

So hey have a nice day and talk to you soon!!!

wow! never seen one of those before. educate us a little, gcea tuning? the hand positions look like they could take some getting used to.
thanks for sharing

Just goes to show how varied and wide the entire fretted stringed instrument family is.

wow! never seen one of those before. educate us a little, gcea tuning? the hand positions look like they could take some getting used to.
thanks for sharing

Hi Kauai...It's really a cool instrument and like I said, not that hard to play....fingering may be weird at the beginning and for sure, you will quite a lot of of pain in the fingers even if you're used and are already a hardcore uke players!!!

As for the picking hand, well I'm using a wrist rest because I'm just used to play that way on my weissenborn or lap steel uke so, for me, it's much easier to have a wrist rest so I can fingerpick easily....

For the tuning...hey it's even more basic than an uke...Most of dulci have 4 strings. 2 double melody strings and 2 other strings....Since I just hate double strings, I play with 3 equidistant strings.

And the tuning is D-A-D!!!!! Yes, only 2 notes....and you can play plenty of songs!!!! More than that, this one is a diatonic instrument (like the traditional ones).... But now, you can ask builders to make some chromatic ones.....but the beauty of the dulci is how simple it is and making it a chromatic just remove that aspect of the intrument I think. That's why diatonic dulci are still what most people are playing.

Anyway...if you get the chance to try one, you should, it's quite addictive and portable just like the uke!

Thanks

That sounds wonderful, and it looks pretty cool. I think it has the same tuning as my strumstick. Nice playing in the video.

That sounds wonderful, and it looks pretty cool. I think it has the same tuning as my strumstick. Nice playing in the video.

Thanks Mds...You're right, I think it's the same tuning, simply plays in a different position...Sometimes, I have that temptation to get a strumstick also!!!! heehehe!!!

Oh that looks sick!! Reminds of the stringed instruments they play in the Far East / Asia that's laid flat. Like the magical musical weapons the pair of blind monks played in Kung Fu-sion. lol

They are kind of popular in this area. A very under-rated instrument.

You're right, it's quite under-rated...Here in Montreal, ukulele starts to be popular and you can find some decent ukes...but forget about getting a dulcimer!!! Most of the time, the people at music store don't even know that it is!!!!

Wow, a McSpadden.....very nice dulcimer and nice job of playing it.

Wow, a McSpadden.....very nice dulcimer and nice job of playing it.

Thanks a lot! I also have a Laurel Mountain dulcimer.....but I prefer by far the McSpadden, the tone and playability of their instrument is top notch. Their are truly a standard in the dulcimer world.

Used to play a three-string mountain dulcimer, in the 60s and 70s. The Strumstick was pretty close but somewhat easier to play because it's held like a uke, not on the lap.

Beautiful (the instrument and the playing :) ).

Some friends and I went to see Dolly Parton in concert about a month ago, and just about everything on stage was sparkly, including her autoharp and dulcimer. I turned to my friend and said, "Seriously, is that a dulcimer tricked out in rhinestones?" Too awesome :).

Beautiful (the instrument and the playing :) ).

Some friends and I went to see Dolly Parton in concert about a month ago, and just about everything on stage was sparkly, including her autoharp and dulcimer. I turned to my friend and said, "Seriously, is that a dulcimer tricked out in rhinestones?" Too awesome :).

Hey thanks a lot! You will also see a few repro of Dolly Parton dulcimer by a few company...I've seen a few one on evilbay!

I don't know if you got the chance to see a few of Cindy Lauper latest appereance, she's also playing a dulcimer accompanying herself on Time After Time....she's actually a big fan of mountain dulcimer...

Congrats !

The instrument and the playing are great. Do you see any issues in turning this instrument to be lefty ? I was punished by nature......:rolleyes:

Congrats !

The instrument and the playing are great. Do you see any issues in turning this instrument to be lefty ? I was punished by nature......:rolleyes:

The only problem being that the slot for the strings are made proper strings gauge.....so....it's not ideal..

I saw that you're from Laval, QC...I'm from Laval aussi! Bienvenue sur le forum!

The only problem being that the slot for the strings are made proper strings gauge.....so....it's not ideal..

Thanks for the info.

I saw that you're from Laval, QC...I'm from Laval aussi! Bienvenue sur le forum!

Merci ! I saw some of your videos on youtube. Fine collection you have ! Probably the best collection anyone has around here ! I REALLY liked the sound of your MP tenor. How do you like your Kamaka 6 string ? I have to lookup that Montreal ukulele club someday !

That's a fine instrument Fumanchu and some mighty fine playing! I've acquired a cheap dulcimer off of ebay. the folks at Friends of the Mountain Dulcimer (another fine forum) tell me that they are familiar with the dulcimers from this ebay seller and that I'm lucky. For a foreign factory job, the frets are correctly spaced and the dulcimer is decently built. I've started practicing on it and am loving it!
Ernest

Top Bottom