Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RISA Uke-Solid vs Eleuke Peanut ?

One day Litta asked me to design easy portable solidbody EleUke so I did.
    Normally, I sketch body shape with mm scale paper first and show it to the factory.
    It didn't take such a long time.

Anyway, I just wanted to let other people just compare and I never played RISA solid before
    so, just simple comparison and I welcome if there's any different opinion about RISA solid.
    I designed peanut with two reason first, It looks like peanut and second, I wanted to sell
    peanut at peanut's price not like such an expensive instruments.

Thanks

Thanks for the clarification Philip!

Hey, your 'Peanut' fills an economic niche for many of us UUers.

thanks for designing and manufacturing the Peanut.

Have you decided to move forward with the acoustic Peanut?

Keep uke'in',
    Uncle Rod Higuchi
    ( rohiguchi@seattleschools.org )

MP3s: http://www.mediafire.com/?50db7nls4o6m6
    Ukulele Boot Camp, FREE Songbook, Holiday, Hawaiian & More: http://ukulelebootcamp.weebly.com
    Crazy G tutorial on YouTube ( uncle rod crazy g )
    pdf file for Crazy G:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o6id06c06...20TAB.pdf?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Rod Higuchi View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Philip!

Hey, your 'Peanut' fills an economic niche for many of us UUers.

thanks for designing and manufacturing the Peanut.

Have you decided to move forward with the acoustic Peanut?

Keep uke'in',
    We did make acoustic peanut some samples but, I didn't satisfied with it's sound.
    So, I need to improve it's sound if there's some demand.

Thanks
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipKwak View Post
    One day Litta asked me to design easy portable solidbody EleUke so I did.
    Normally, I sketch body shape with mm scale paper first and show it to the factory.
    It didn't take such a long time.

Anyway, I just wanted to let other people just compare and I never played RISA solid before
    so, just simple comparison and I welcome if there's any different opinion about RISA solid.
    I designed peanut with two reason first, It looks like peanut and second, I wanted to sell
    peanut at peanut's price not like such an expensive instruments.

Thanks
    Mr. Kwak.
    Your sentiment to design an instrument at "a peanuts price" is commendable.
    I find myself in possession of two of your designs and I love them.
    Thank you for designing them and having them made.
    You've brought music into many lives with your instruments.

Tor-Arne
    Jupiter Creek Steel string ukulele soprano/concert,
    Harley Benton Eleuke Tenor Natural glossy,
    Eleuke Peanut , Cordoba 20CM Mahogany Concert, Yamaha GL1
    Morgan St-1 (rewired with 1 humbucker straight to jack for no noise or hum), Hohner steel string acoustic guitar, Harley Benton Banjo 5 string
    Roland Micro Cube (2watt amp with lots of amp sims and effects, LOUD 2 watts though), iPad2 loaded with music apps(basically setup as a portastudio), Laptop setup as a DAW...

Vista (North County San Diego), California

With my Eleuke Soprano, I can use computer speakers as an amp using the headphone jack:

Default decision nightmare

I love that Mr Kwak, has posted. A talented man.

I have seen and been able to play the Risa Solid, and the rounded solid body one (??? Uke'Ellie Soprano sunburst)
    In the Uk they are priced at 160-200, and about 200.

I need a silent Uke, I also need it to fit in my little suitcase by antler (48cm tall). So trying to find one to fit the Job.

The Risa is more money, but less size. The EleUke peanut half the price of the risa solid. But how heavy is it to play? Its also is 51 cm tall, campared to the risa solid of 34cm.

I love the options on the EleUke, but size is an issue.

Are there any other options out there? Without my bodging any attempt to make my own?
    Thanks for replies, I've found the info so far useful.

Risa is better made...
    ...but I ended up getting the Peanut simply because I didn't want to pay a lot of $$$ for something to mess-around-with.
    BTW I had Mim put on a Low G (something that usually sounds terrible on acoustic Sopranos) and it works very well. Since acoustics have little-to-no influence on the sound, plugged-in you'd think it was a Tenor.

Quote Originally Posted by PixieB-C View Post
    I love that Mr Kwak, has posted. A talented man.

I have seen and been able to play the Risa Solid, and the rounded solid body one (??? Uke'Ellie Soprano sunburst)
    In the Uk they are priced at 160-200, and about 200.

I need a silent Uke, I also need it to fit in my little suitcase by antler (48cm tall). So trying to find one to fit the Job.

The Risa is more money, but less size. The EleUke peanut half the price of the risa solid. But how heavy is it to play? Its also is 51 cm tall, campared to the risa solid of 34cm.

I love the options on the EleUke, but size is an issue.

Are there any other options out there? Without my bodging any attempt to make my own?
    Thanks for replies, I've found the info so far useful.
    The sun is setting here, so sorry for the poor lighting in the pictures.

Including the strap button at the end, the Risa is slightly less than 48 cm while the Peanut is about 53 cm long. Using a baby scale, the Peanut weighs 1lb 3.5oz and the Risa weighs 1lb 0.5oz. The scale/nut-to-bridge measurement is a little longer on the Risa than the Peanut. The Risa has 14 frets total, the Peanut has 13 frets total. For what it's worth, I have a weekender bag that I bring as my carry on for flights. The Risa just barely fits, but I can get it in and zip it up just fine. The Peanut is ever so slightly too big to fit in my bag. YMMV.

In their cases:
    P1050041.JPG

P1050043.JPG
    Last edited by missameeames; 05-13-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    Lanikai LU-21A * Anuenue U900 Rabbit * Makai MC-70 * Eleuke Peanut * Ohana Vita Uke * Firefly * Risa Uke Solid Soprano * KPK Concert Cutaway * Koaloha Pineapple Soprano * Pono MS * KoAlana Concert * Pono MB * Kala UBass * Yamaha Guitalele

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy Lew View Post
    If u have the money i would go with risa they make really good ukes i have a rise ukulele and i love it you are getting what you pay for!!
    I'm with Lindy Lew and several others. I have never played a Peanut, so I am not comparing them...just making a couple points.

I have a RISA soprano that is portable and fun and so well made. I love it! The RISA vs. Peanut thread comes up about every six months or so on UU, and always comes down to RISA, if one can afford it. Peanut is an inexpensive but not as good uke. Old threads abound.

The RISA has 14 playable frets. The Peanut has 13. (see photo in recent post to this thread below). Not a huge deal, unless you need the fret in a particular song.

I completely agree with what someone below wrote about portability. I can put the RISA in my messenger bag and carry it onto a plane or the library or anything. I love it's short length!

***Always remember, resale on a RISA is strong ...many sell here on UU very quickly for $200-220 used. Never below $200. Peanuts, like all inexpensive ukes, are so low priced, why would someone buy used and pay shipping when they can buy warrantied and new with free shipping from many retailers?

http://pua2.net/

PuaPua Ukulele sells RISAs and has a couple on their shop wall now...a soprano and a concert, I think. Here they are on PuaPua's video on the wall from May 8 (few days ago).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4hpjuSzmoU

Cheers.
    Last edited by coolkayaker1; 05-13-2012 at 03:02 PM.
    Martin Sopranos: 0M: 30, 64 ---
    1M: 22Dit, 23Dit, 24Dit, 49, 55--1K 26
    2M: 22, 23Dit, 23Dit, 49, 60, 12 --- 2K: 25, 12
    3M: 25, 48, 55x2, 12(ch) 3K: 29
    The Gibsons: Styles 2&3 28;1&2&3x3 27;UB1 25
    Tonk American 28; Favilla 55; Smeck Vita 30; Kamaka Gold Deluxe 60
    Kiwaya Thinline KS-0P Soprano; Gretsch American 30
    Covered Bridge Honduran Hog tenor
    Pono Maple Tenor, BE Acacia Bari & MS Sop

I've owned 5 Eleukes and 6 Risa electric ukes.

Overall, I like the Risa's more in terms of sheer instrument quality. But they are pricier for that reason too.

The Eleukes are terrific in value and function.
    While I really like how the Risa's passive pickup sounds, there are certain times when the active electronic capabilities of the Eleuke come in handy.

Thread Information