Low G; none wound, wound 3rd, or wound 3rd and 4th

808boy

Reaction score
Aloha UU Ohana,
Just learning how to "pick" the chords of a song rather than just strumming, especially Ballads, Love Songs, basically most slow jams. What string configuration do you low G fans like; all none wound, wound 3rd, or wound 3rd and 4th? How is the balance of sound on your favorite setup?
Mahalo for your input........................BO.................

There is an excellent description of some of the sound differences among the choices you list on the Southcoast Ukes site (http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide.htm). On my tenor (the only size I've done low g on), I've used all unwound, one wound--Savarez, and two lower strings wound with flatwound. There are differences but I think much of it will depend on your setup, your uke's "sound", plus the sound you'd like to have. Example: you may have an instrument that is very loud or has a nice deep end to it, but it's possible to exaggerate the low end with string choice and thus muddy the chords in strumming. In my experience, figuring out how "guitarlike" you want the tenor to sound is key. You might end up wanting a sound that is not so boomy and that might very well mean all unwounds. That's actually what I'm figuring out right now on my tenor: it has such wonderful depth to it that it is easy to exaggerate.
Hope this helps a bit.

It is all nonwound for me. I tried Aquila wound low g and Savarez Corum polished wound but could never play without squeaks. The Worth CTLG were very unbalanced on my uke, the g was much louder and boomy. The Fremont Blacklines were balanced but I missed the clarity of the Worths. Then I was recommended the Worth CHLGHD and I have never looked back. They are perfectly balanced and they are the only low g strings I will use.

I have the ORCAS on my KoAloha super concert (low g unwound).
Very balanced and I love the feel on the unwound. I am a guitar player so wounds don't bother me, but I like the string life on the unwounds. (no splitting at the frets)

All non wound for me too.Aquila strings on all but one
of my instruments,and my Tenor and Bari are strung
Low G (but using the Bruddah IZ method!) using a set
of re-entrant strings! Wound strings never seem to last
me longer than a couple of weeks and are cost prohibitive
at that level,for me!

Iz used: 1) his C string and tuned it low for a G 2) he used his E string for the C string 3) he used his G string for the E string 4) left the A string in the normal place.

That was before there was Worth. ^

Un-wound please. You can't break that fat unwound G string and it doesn't squeak. Plus, it's about 110 times easier to bend too than a wound string.

Kanaka 916 explained the 'Bruddah Iz' Method perfectly.Sorry
but it has cropped up regularly on the forum,I thought that
everyone knew this! It does NOT find favour with all players
but I tried it,liked it and stayed with it.

Example: you may have an instrument that is very loud or has a nice deep end to it, but it's possible to exaggerate the low end with string choice and thus muddy the chords in strumming. In my experience, figuring out how "guitarlike" you want the tenor to sound is key. You might end up wanting a sound that is not so boomy and that might very well mean all unwounds. That's actually what I'm figuring out right now on my tenor: it has such wonderful depth to it that it is easy to exaggerate.
Hope this helps a bit.

I have this issue with my Kamaka HF-3. It came with Worth clears w/wound low g and when strumming, I think it's too "boomy." After reading this, I was all set to change to an unwound low g, but then I had the opportunity to play a custom Compass Rose with wound 3rd and 4th and it sounded great. None of the exaggerated low end I get with the Kamaka. I'm guessing it's just the difference in the instruments, but being new to this, it still confused me. Any Kamaka owners out there with the same experience? Someday I'd love to go back to reentrant tuning for the more traditional sound but currently I'm taking lessons and the instructor has most if not all the material in low g.

Any Kamaka owners out there with the same experience? Someday I'd love to go back to reentrant tuning for the more traditional sound but currently I'm taking lessons and the instructor has most if not all the material in low g.

Which Worth low g strings are they? I play low g tuning on my Kamaka HF3 and found the Worth CTLG were very boomy and the g string dominated the sound. Once I switched to the Worth hard heavy version (Worth CHLGHD) I had a much more balanced sound, no more boominess and that is now the only set I ever use. You also might want to try the Fremont Blackline low g set - they are balanced as well, I just prefer the crisper sound of the Worths.

Which Worth low g strings are they?

I actually have no idea what strings they are. They told me they were strung with Worth's instead of the Kamaka strings when I bought it in July. But yes, I'm having the same issue. The low g dominates the sound exactly like you described. I guess today I'm on a quest to find the Worth CHKGHD strings. Thank you for your help. Pretty impressive collection you have there. How do you like the Kamoa? I don't see too many of those in anyone's profiles.

Thanks again,

-Gary

@wickedwahine11 - do you order strings online? And, if so from whom?

@erivel - is there some place in the Bay Area that carries the Worth CHLGHD? I just went to Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto and they only had the CT-LG's

@wickedwahine11 - do you order strings online? And, if so from whom?

@erivel - is there some place in the Bay Area that carries the Worth CHLGHD? I just went to Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto and they only had the CT-LG's

Have you tried Uke Source? I got mine from Elderly. My local shop, Music Works in El Cerrito only has Worth Clear and Brown low G.

How do you like the Kamoa? I don't see too many of those in anyone's profiles.-Gary

it was actually a gift. I'm not much of a soprano player so I don't play if often, but it does sound beautiful.

@wickedwahine11 - do you order strings online?

I get them from Elderly online...I've never been able to find them anywhere else.

Have you tried Uke Source? I got mine from Elderly. My local shop, Music Works in El Cerrito only has Worth Clear and Brown low G.

I live right down the street from Ukulele Source and they didn't have them either. I think I'm going to order them from Elderly along with a Reunion Blues Tenor gigbag.

The Compass Rose tenor mentioned has Savarez classical guitar G and C strings right now...

My prejudice is against low G and then C strings as being unwound for low G tuning. No matter what strings I've tried, they all sound tubby and sound like the harmonics are out of tune. I may not be totally "there" yet, but right now I'm liking a metal on nylon G, a nylon wound on nylon G, and then plain E and A strings. To me, that delivers the smoothest transition from low G to high A strings as far as harmonic balance goes.

The Compass Rose tenor mentioned has Savarez classical guitar G and C strings right now...

My prejudice is against low G and then C strings as being unwound for low G tuning. No matter what strings I've tried, they all sound tubby and sound like the harmonics are out of tune. I may not be totally "there" yet, but right now I'm liking a metal on nylon G, a nylon wound on nylon G, and then plain E and A strings. To me, that delivers the smoothest transition from low G to high A strings as far as harmonic balance goes.

I ran down to the local big box guitar store because Gryphon is closed on Sundays and they couldn't help me even after showing them exactly what Rick Turner suggested. So now I'm back to my trusted UU forums looking for advice, can anyone point me to a reliable source for these strings? Local music store or internet site would be great! I'm hoping to buy them individually,

Thank you,

-Gary

Top Bottom