Song Help Request Appalachian Tabs and Chords

Excellent thread. I find this type of music much more fun than covering pop songs!

Agreed, though I also like covering pop songs sometimes. It depends on the song. My first love is folk music, though.

A lot of Appalachian Folk songs came originally from the British Isles, but they changed and the singing style is different.

Here is an example
This version of Cruel Ship's Carpenter was collected by Cecil Sharpe in North Carolina on a visit to the Appalachians in 1916/17: http://youtu.be/o78lR7mj7aI
I don't sing it in an Appalachian style, though.

Thought I'd give this thread a bump and share a video.... spent the last week out in Eminence, MO and attended a great bluegrass festival there. Saw this young lady's band - she plays fiddle, has a lovely voice, and stepdances like nobody's business... as far as I'm concerned, they stole the show....

Awesome video. I went to our local ukulele jam and did "Good and Greasy" last night. Got bad stage fright and miffed it a bit, but it was fun.

Very cool, R2 - glad you had fun.... that's such a great tune, still play it pretty regularly with my kids - they love it......

Haven't had much to post in this thread lately, but I'm playing this kind of music almost exclusively now - not just ukulele, but working on my clawhammer banjo and ramping up on some more complex bluegrass flatpicking on the guitar..... I've recorded a handful of videos recently that I could have posted here, but I always feel like I'm spamming when I put the videos up in more than one place on the forum. Here's a clawhammer instrumental I came up with, though, if you missed it when I posted awhile back.....

Great video! I have pretty much quit trying to play claw hammer. It was frustrating me to no end. I may pick it back up as some new members of our uke group in Richmond play claw hammer banjo.

New clawhammer ukulele video by the great ootsulele, a Dock Boggs cover

I just grabbed the ebook too. Glad to have it and thanks for the tip - although clawhammer is looking pretty hopeless at the moment...jeez.

Just starting to dive into this interesting thread.

I was looking at that book just the other day. There is an e-book called "The Tao and Why of Clawhammer Banjo" that is great to learn how to play. Just replace the banjo chords with ukulele chords.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Chords in the description!

D- A7 D- D-
D- D- A7 A7
D- F G G-
D- A7 D- D-

(D- = Dm)

Did anyone every work out the chords to this. Lalou's posted ones aren't anything like the way I learned to sing the song which was the Joan Baez version. This is what I've got but I'm missing two chords. Of course I could just sing through those spots
Dm G Dm
I was born in East Virginia,
Dm G Dm
North Carolina I did roam.
Dm missing chord G
There I met a fair pretty maiden;
Dm missing chord
Her name and age I do not know.

Here's the link to how Joanie sings it although I see my chords are just uke approximations of what she's playing. I know that Kent Middleton has a tab version but I can't seem to find his web site (says the url expired). TIA, g2

Ooh! Great news! Gotta get myself a copy :)

Top Bottom