First uke.

One.

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked like a billion times.... I really want to learn the the uke but I'm struggling to pick one. I've find the Makala dolphin and Makala Soprano MK-SN both for around £25. Which one do you think is a really good beginner one? Are they basically the same? And also is it just me who thinks that the dolphin looks a bit 'girly' or I'm just being an idiot.

Thanks.

Both are great beginner ukuleles.

The Dolphin may be a little tougher (the sides and back are made of sturdy plastic) and the MK-SN may sound a little louder/sweeter (wood construction and a light finish give more resonance). Sound is most important to me, so I'd recommend the MK-SN.

If you get the chance to strum these ukuleles at a shop, your preference will quickly become clear. If that's not an option, go with your gut feeling. You'll have fun either way!

Oh, and welcome to UU!

they are more or less the same thing, if you want bright pink take the dolphin...I would recommend buying from a dealer if you can help it. Sailor Jim at http://ukerepublic.bigcartel.com or Mim at http://www.mimsukes.com/ can get you taken care of, though i realize being on the other side of the pond makes shipping costs high, i'm sure there is a good dealer in your country. (maybe one of ya'll red coats can help a yankee out here) The reason i think its important (ESPECIALLY on a cheaper uke) is quality control. Just ordering one off of some no name amazon page, could show up with a whole trove of problems (warpy neck, squirrely frets, messed up paint). A good Kala/makala dealer will look over everything first, and may change the strings to something better than it comes with normally, to optimize your sound. Either way, You'll have a blast, and welcome to UU if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
Alex

Go with the wooden Makala Soprano- it was my wifes first ukes and strung with Aquila's it is totally passable. I got her a fancier job because she persisted, but her first one gets a work out in the hands of all my students and is a great little uke. Aquila's are a must on both, as is set-up.

Thank for your replies. bornagainjeeper, I was thinking the same as I was just going to buy it off ebay. I went to my local music shop and the only basic uke they had was this one. The guy said its a good for a beginner but I don't no if he is just saying that because he works there.

Makalas are amazing value. I love 'em.

If you can buy from a good dealer (such as the guys who hang around UU), then you should be able to get a setup and Aquila strings in the price. I'd say that both are essential in order to have the best experience with a Makala. Even if they bump up the price a little, a setup and good strings are money very well spent and really, REALLY do make a difference.

Thank for your replies. bornagainjeeper, I was thinking the same as I was just going to buy it off ebay. I went to my local music shop and the only basic uke they had was this one. The guy said its a good for a beginner but I don't no if he is just saying that because he works there.
i'd stay very clear of that one from the music shop... Either of the makalas would work (thinking about it the wood one is prolly the better of the two) and like other people mentioned the "set up" is really key. A set up (if you don't already know) is where they will check over the whole thing. Just like a bicycle or a car, most ukes need a little "tune up" at the start. Most people will adjust the action (how high the strings are off the fretboard (neck) And insure that the frets are level. As buddhuu mentioned, aquila strings on a inexpensive uke can really make a HUGE amount of difference...i have 14 or so ukes, and aquillas on almost every single one. If you can't get them, its no huge deal a set will cost you about 5 US bucks. The set up also insures you are getting a quality instrument. Most decent retailers will not send you a uke with a messed up neck or whatnot, and they'd be able to catch that during a set up. It may add 10 or so dollars to the cost of the instrument, but it completely worth it. Remember, you'll be alot more likely to learn uke if its not making bad buzzing sounds, or overly difficult to play

I'm going to go with...... *drum roll* the Makala. haa. I'm just debating whether I should buy it online at this music shop or wait until I actually go there which is next month. But I don't know if I can wait that long lol.

Thanks for all your replies and I can't wait to get my hands on my first uke.

Top Bottom